Pre making Salt water

Nathan Aubin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to pre mix about 35 to 50 gallons of salt water. I am running a 90 gallon tank and want to have enough on hand to do 20% WC monthly or early based on my levels and have enough incase I spike a level that needs to be addressed with water changes. I want to avoid adding lots of chemicals to chase numbers.

OP
OP
Nathan Aubin

Nathan Aubin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to pre mix about 35 to 50 gallons of salt water. I am running a 90 gallon tank and want to have enough on hand to do 20% WC monthly or early based on my levels and have enough incase I spike a level that needs to be addressed with water changes. I want to avoid adding lots of chemicals to chase numbers.
Forgot my question
How long is the solution good for. Will it start it’s own nitrogen cycle.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a circulation pump in there and a heater and it will be fine. I always keep saltwater on hand. I use most of it every 2 weeks or so, but there's always some old leftover that is mixed in with the new. You might see some build up on the walls of the container over time but I've never had any issues. It won't cycle if you keep it all clean, just RO/DI water and salt.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot my question
How long is the solution good for. Will it start it’s own nitrogen cycle.
I mix enough IO for a couple of months at a time. I mix it, then leave it alone without circulation or heat. It’s fine.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turn the pump and heater on when it's time to add salt and/or to allow just enough time to heat the water up for a change.

OP
OP
Nathan Aubin

Nathan Aubin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turn the pump and heater on when it's time to add salt and/or to allow just enough time to heat the water up for a change.
So you just keep ro/di water and mix it when ready or do you pre mix the salt and just heat it when it’s time

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you just keep ro/di water and mix it when ready or do you pre mix the salt and just heat it when it’s time
I have one 30 gal tank that is fed by my RODI unit which is always full of fresh water. Then that tank feeds a second tank that I mix salt in & heat for water changes. I can tap the first one for top off water and the second one for water changes. Both tanks are pretty much full at all times. I set it up this way so that I could feed both the ATO and AWC features on the AutoAqua unit I picked up black friday. Haven't hooked that up yet though, still lugging buckets up the stairs for the time being.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back