Preferred method for extracting an eel from a Jebao?

A Reefer's Girlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, apparently I have suicidal eels. My previous Hawaiian dwarf golden moray lost his head (quite literally) climbing down my overflow pipes into my return pump. To prevent this from happening again, we blocked it off with thin mesh (and put extra safety measures in the pipes).

Eel number two (who is about half the size of the first one) is apparently much more creative. He is currently sitting inside the Jebao in my sump - right where the power cord connects into it. He managed to climb out of his "growout" section of the sump and into the return section. I've turned off the pump for now (and inadvertently started to flood my bedroom in the process - "No dear, it won't overflow...") so there is no risk of him meeting the same end, but obviously I would prefer that this not be his place of residence. Thawing food now, but I would welcome any other suggestions. Or just keep me company while I deal with this ridiculousness.

Yes, I'm trying to get photos...

OP
OP
A Reefer's Girlfriend

A Reefer's Girlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I've got mesh over the intake to stop him from meeting the same end as the last one. Did not count on him being able to fit in here (or getting back to the pump in the first place!):

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so where is he exactly? is he inside the pump or just hanging out under it? if hes just hanging out you can lift the pump out of the water. to prevent him from getting back there you may need to net or put a glass top over the growout area.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lift the pump out of the water. don't shake it and be gentle. he should come out. if not, gently place it back into the water after a couple of minutes. and I mean a couple as in 2 lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back