Prevent clams from tipping over

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys get the clam to stay in place and not tip over? I constantly have to flip my clam over every day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clam Hammock. It keeps it in place. I have an extra now if interested. PM me

Here is clam sitting in hammock:

1590341109385.png
1590341223611.png

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a clam hammock is a good option but I would also be trying to understand if the clam is moving on its own or if something else is moving it. Clams will re orientate themselves as needed to get the light they want. In my experience I have found that many clams that are close to the sides of the tank will sometimes tilt towards the glass/acrylic in part due to light reflection. If the clam is moving on its own I would consider leaving it in place for a while to see if it remains in the same place.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam Hammock. It keeps it in place. I have an extra now if interested. PM me

Here is clam sitting in hammock:

1590341109385.png
1590341223611.png

These work great, I have two crocea clams in a barebottom tank with these.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I'm more talking about when my clams tip over (before they've gotten latched onto a rock). This happens normally when one of my large wrasse dives into the sand, or when my large hippo tang decides to graze its shell with a few pecks. Those knock it over pretty easily, moreso when they're <3 inches

I think that a clam hammock is a good option but I would also be trying to understand if the clam is moving on its own or if something else is moving it. Clams will re orientate themselves as needed to get the light they want. In my experience I have found that many clams that are close to the sides of the tank will sometimes tilt towards the glass/acrylic in part due to light reflection. If the clam is moving on its own I would consider leaving it in place for a while to see if it remains in the same place.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally the clam will eventually attach to a rock or hammock with byssal threads, making it more stable in the long run. Hammocks are also useful if you want to try a clam in an unusual location, one where a fall could be a more serious problem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back