Prevent leaks on a barb connection?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daasmo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Daasmo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2024
Messages
201
Reaction score
211
Location
Evansville
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a hang on UV light on my AIO. I recently took it off because it was leaking. How can I better seal a tubing to barb connection? Should I be using different tubing?

20240809_222749.jpg 20240809_222702.jpg
 
I'm using a hang on UV light on my AIO. I recently took it off because it was leaking. How can I better seal a tubing to barb connection? Should I be using different tubing?

20240809_222749.jpg 20240809_222702.jpg
Cable ties work well to hold connections together and prevent them slipping off.

You need to make sure you are using the correct size tubing for the barb, it should be tight and normally you have to heat the tube to get it over the barb.
 
Cable ties work well to hold connections together and prevent them slipping off.

You need to make sure you are using the correct size tubing for the barb, it should be tight and normally you have to heat the tube to get it over the barb.
Ok. It may be too large then. I can put it on by hand without heating. It is snug but obviously still leaking.
 
Ok. It may be too large then. I can put it on by hand without heating. It is snug but obviously still leaking.
A cable tie or hose clamp may fix it, but really it should not leak without one.

You clamp tight behind the barb.
 
Hose clamp may introduce rust and metals, I’d say use a zip tie or other nonmetal material
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new