• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Price doesn't equal quality/ longevity when it comes to Ecotech

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reference was to Reef tanks in general. I was just saying it's kinda a rich hobbie. If your gonna play you should be ready to fix. Which in most cases means pulling out that check book.
To me I'd take all the energy you guys spend worrying, and use it to figure out how make a boat load more money so the 350 wasn't a worry.

But whatever. These dang sites will get you (me) sucked in sometimes. I really gotta go. Rise and grind. Have fun!!

Don't let your pump suck up your Saturday go buy a new one.

Yes, please do move on. You clearly have nothing constructive or remotely related experience to add to the discussion here. It is not unrealistic to expect a $400 piece of equipment to last more than a year. Especially when much cheaper pumps last 5-10x that long. And clearly Ecotechs customer service atleast for the OP has not been as you touted, sending out free replacements even after the warranty has expired. Just go out to buy a new one is not a solution either. This kind of insane thinking is why these companies get away with charging you insane prices for garbage products. Spending $400 a year to replace a pump should not happen, for that price, might as well buy an abyzz that will pay for itself in 3 years and have 7 years left on the warranty on top of that. This discussion was not to "cry" so to speak it was to share a negative experience with a company. Which some do find very useful when attempting to select equipment for builds. Also it has brought up both sides of the issue with current Ecotech owners sharing their own experiences with there equipment both positive and negative. Providing a good, even, informative base for future buyers to draw their own conclusions. If you have an issue with this than please just move on and take them worries about others worries of yours elsewhere as you clearly don't like to worry. And by the way if your going to join a thread at least make your comments constructive and useful for others. I'd like to thank the OP for sharing his experience with Ecotech and everyone else who has chimed in on both sides with useful experience and information. This doesn't have to be a "Rich" hobby and for most it isn't.

Last edited:

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone reading this is from Europe we have a law where products are expected to work for 5 years, 6 yrs if your in the UK. However the onus is on you to prove it's a manufacturing defect that's the problem and you have to claim from the retailer not the manufacturer. All of these discussions highlight known regular faults which adds weight to our position. An example of his well this can work is Apple they now honour this, all you have to do is take your apple product to specified retailers, theycheck it and replace more often than not...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a fan of Koralia pumps. Whenever I have had a problem, Hydor has always sent me free replacement parts or they have been very affordable. I'm impressed with how they stand by their products.

It chaps my butt to have to pay $75 for a Ecotech Wet Side Assembly just because it starts to rust after 2-3 years. :mad:

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is mostly a lot of good conversation happening here. I am glad to see like minded people here who love this hobby and would love to see it keep progressing. I am afraid that if reef keeping continues being perceived as a rich persons game the market will slowly dismantle itself over prohibitory higher cost equipment.

I have spent a lot of money getting this reef going but I think I could have saved a buck or two by going with less expensive but seemingly equally reliable equipment. Of course I wanted cutting edge tech so I spent a little more this time. I recognize the argument that reefing is expensive and just keep throwing money at it when somethings wrong. I don't agree with it, I don't feel like that is useful beyond a tiny bit of instant gratification, and it certainly isn't sustainable.

Reef Octopus skimmer, Geos Reef CaRX, carbon doser, custom sump, jaebo, hydor, Chinese black lights, Hamilton lights, ATI lights, Aquaillumination, classic apex with several modules, JBJ heater, jaeger, cobalt pumps, and ecotech. Out of this entire list I have only had 2 pieces of equipment fail on me, both were the most expensive and both were ecotech. Every other piece of equipment is still in use in one way or another, even my good old hydor is still running after 4 years of constantly being in water.

I don't care what anyone buys, that is between them and the checkbook, but I do care when I see people in our hobby not get what they paid for. I would ask that if everyone took the time to call ecotech, be nice and tell them you as a consumer would like to see a 5 year warranty, maybe even an email would help. Remember that any business that sells something is working for you, the consumer and you can fire them if they don't meet your expectations by not buying from them again.

Good luck and happy reefing!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't forgive Maxspect for a $299 Gyre that lasted 3 months.

I can live with replacing a wetside every 24 to 30 months much easier.

And i run $70.00 main pumps and just keep a couple extra in closet. For $70 each, they last around 3 to 4 years.

I don't need a main pump to do what i need a Wav maker to do.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got both of my 6095s for 25% off, so $172.50 each to run on a 36x18x20 tank with 1/2” thick glass, so it’s perfect for my needs. (I should have clarified that the 6095s were perfect MP40 alternatives for my specific situation). My MP10QDs were worthless on 1/2” glass, so the alternative were the MP40QDs... I just didn’t want to deal with all of the reported issues that came with a so called premium pump and having to replace a wetside every 18 months. And yes, after a bunch of MP40QD wetside failures became known, Ecotech stated that the wet sides were “wear items” that should be replaced every 18 months! Funny, as I don’t ever remember this being the case in prior Vortech generations until after the new MP40QD wetsides had issues, a shameless money grab as far as I’m concerned by calling it a “wear item” for a design or QC failure. This was discussed over on RC.

Although definitely more complex in set up, the controllable Tunze pumps are infinitely adjustable through the Apex VDM using Slief’s Tunze programming thread on RC. I also do expect them to last 10-15 years. In the event that something does go wrong, replacement parts are available down to the individual bushing if ever needed. Plus, Roger Vitko’s customer service for Tunze products is second to none.
To be fair the 6095 is only $60 less than i paid for my last MP40, has almost half the flow and doesn't interface to apex as well.

Do they ever go on sale for less?

10% off would put it at the same price as a Wav at least.

An Eco Tech sale actually just ended last month. It was on for the whole month of August! MP10s, 40's. The MP60's were 20% off! I never thought I would see the Ecotech MP pumps on sale but there they were. I don't know how often they have these sales.

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't forgive Maxspect for a $299 Gyre that lasted 3 months.

I can live with replacing a wetside every 24 to 30 months much easier.

And i run $70.00 main pumps and just keep a couple extra in closet. For $70 each, they last around 3 to 4 years.

I don't need a main pump to do what i need a Wav maker to do.

I am curious about your maxspect gyre lasting only 3 months. Can you share your story? That stinks when you save to get that big item and get dud. That is where buying local comes in handy, I am sure of a couple lfs's that would give you another one and RMS the bad unit for you in my area.

I was told that the first generation gyres were not good and even had a reputable lfs tell me to probably stay away for now. I waited until the version 2 came out and knew I wanted 2 on my 8 foot build. I just like how they move water, the new controller is better than the first one but it should have wifi capability and some sort of app with it, coral vue said it would be out sometime and they don't know when, not a deal breaker, but built in wifi shouldn't be a problem in late 2017. I run 2 280s and 1 150 in this tank, i will probably go with a new 250 with the controller because it is backward compatible with the 150 according to coral vue. There is the choice of the Glamorca Gyre, i think thats what its called.

Since I haven't had an issue with any of them yet I have no idea how their customer service is.

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Eco Tech sale actually just ended last month. It was on for the whole month of August! MP10s, 40's. The MP60's were 20% off! I never thought I would see the Ecotech MP pumps on sale but there they were. I don't know how often they have these sales.

It could mean that they are getting ready to push out a version 2 of it. That seems to be the only time these guys will do these sales. OR better for us it is a sign that people aren't buying them (though I doubt this) and prices will come down.

Either way I hope you got what you needed at a great price!

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I ask a question to those that have had success with their Ecotech for 10 years or so? Are these units running all the time? Or are these units the style that pulse on and off?

This reference might be a little different, however it has been proven that turning a light bulb on and off will cause it to fail sooner than a light bulb that is left on all the time. Don't remember exact dates on this point either, but there is a fire station that has a bulb close to 100 years old that still works. Yet I replaced a 60 watt bulb in a light fixture, clicked it on and it popped.

My point is in my opinion, the pulsing version of these pumps will fail quicker than the those that run continuously. Not that 2 years is acceptable either. I have been very lucky in that I have not had to replace a pump at all for over 10 years. I use external pumps and Sea Swirls to move the water.

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d been an Ecotech Marine customer for around 7-8 years and counting, actually running 2 MP40QD’s, 2MP10’s, 2 M1’s, 2 XR30G3-Pro’s and a NYOS 120 and hands down the best quality and service in my 18 years in salt water reefing. Had three problems with the equipments out of the warranty and honestly their help-solutions in my case were second to none, i sent back the faulty equipment and for $1 dollar total they sent me a new one for replacement (AGAIN been out of the warranty period).

Every single case is different and totally agreed on receiving the quality everyone expects after paying a really high price, I own them but $349.99 for a MP40QD it’s a lot and after paying that have to spend even more for a replacement part being out of warranty sucks, have no idea why in my case just with a $1 the problem were fixed. That’s why I always go with their products and the best part is if u are an apex user with the wxm module u have fully controllability except vectras, but in my case my apex take care for almost everything but prefers the reef link controller for all my ecotechs equipment, its a breeze and simply.

P.D. When building my second 80 gallons reef decided to tryout the whole Jebao-Jecod line of products to save some greens, long story short:
-DC12000 fully stopped at the seventh month, called for the warranty and the answer was: to claim warranty on jebao prods we have to send them back to China and that will cost more than just buying a new one!!! Really??? Right now I think it’s different but at that time in 2013 was my answer on their warranty.
-Doser went nuts and dosed around 120 ml of Alkaline solution in one night, at the fourth month after purchase , it’s pathetic, the pump was replaced but the whole tank crash just got a sorry “it happens” from retailer, the replacement dosing pump ended at the trash can out of my frustration not wanting to happen to another reefer. So no more Jebao here. Again it was my personal experience, cause there’s people happy with their products and three even four years and solid performance.

Don’t want to say “you get what you pay for” because obviously won’t apply to everyone but in my case won’t go with a different brand, at least by now (knock on wood). Good luck to everyone and happy reefing!!![emoji106][emoji225][emoji886][emoji823]

Last edited:

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason almost all electronic equipment stops working is the power supply. If they source cheap power supplies from China $50 is a rip off.

If it’s a good ul listed psu it’s worth it.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could mean that they are getting ready to push out a version 2 of it. That seems to be the only time these guys will do these sales. OR better for us it is a sign that people aren't buying them (though I doubt this) and prices will come down.

Either way I hope you got what you needed at a great price!

Yes! I did, I would have never been able to afford the MP60's (that I had wanted for a long time).

As far as reliability...I had MP 40's ever since they came out. There was a delamination problem with the magnets (wet side) It appeared they hadn't figured out the correct way to seal the iron magnets. The salt water would eventually get into them they would delaminate and swell and start rubbing on the casing and fail. Eco Tech would replace them at no charge usually (after a lot of complaining on the phone) made me pay for them once (depends who you got on the phone I guess). I'm sure they were aware they had a problem but would never admit it. Then the newer version wet side came out and miraculously the problem stopped. I told them about those silly plastic adhesives with the cable ties they want you to used to suspend a very expensive motor on them. The adhesive always starts to fail and the putting the motor at risk of dropping.and they they don't guarantee the motor after dropping. I told them they need to include a more robust motor wire holder with the pumps. Aside from the evolutionary problems they make the best power heads out there as far as water movement and aesthetics.
Now I am replacing the THIRD battery backup booster for my Vectra battery backup configuration.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d been an Ecotech Marine customer for around 7-8 years and counting, actually running 2 MP40QD’s, 2MP10’s, 2 M1’s, 2 XR30G3-Pro’s and a NYOS 120 and hands down the best quality and service in my 18 years in salt water reefing. Had three problems with the equipments out of the warranty and honestly their help-solutions in my case were second to none, i sent back the faulty equipment and for $1 dollar total they sent me a new one for replacement (AGAIN been out of the warranty period).

Every single case is different and totally agreed on receiving the quality everyone expects after paying a really high price, I own them but $349.99 for a MP40QD it’s a lot and after paying that have to spend even more for a replacement part being out of warranty sucks, have no idea why in my case just with a $1 the problem were fixed. That’s why I always go with their products and the best part is if u are an apex user with the wxm module u have fully controllability except vectras, but in my case my apex take care for almost everything but prefers the reef link controller for all my ecotechs equipment, its a breeze and simply.

P.D. When building my second 80 gallons reef decided to tryout the whole Jebao-Jecod line of products to save some greens, long story short:
-DC12000 fully stopped at the seventh month, called for the warranty and the answer was: to claim warranty on jebao prods we have to send them back to China and that will cost more than just buying a new one!!! Really??? Right now I think it’s different but at that time in 2013 was my answer on their warranty.
-Doser went nuts and dosed around 120 ml of Alkaline solution in one night, at the fourth month after purchase , it’s pathetic, the pump was replaced but the whole tank crash just got a sorry “it happens” from retailer, the replacement dosing pump ended at the trash can out of my frustration not wanting to happen to another reefer. So no more Jebao here. Again it was my personal experience, cause there’s people happy with their products and three even four years and solid performance.

Don’t want to say “you get what you pay for” because obviously won’t apply to everyone but in my case won’t go with a different brand, at least by now (knock on wood). Good luck to everyone and happy reefing!!![emoji106][emoji225][emoji886][emoji823]

Automating everything can have the potential to automatically kill everything in your tank!

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a question to those that have had success with their Ecotech for 10 years or so? Are these units running all the time? Or are these units the style that pulse on and off?

This reference might be a little different, however it has been proven that turning a light bulb on and off will cause it to fail sooner than a light bulb that is left on all the time. Don't remember exact dates on this point either, but there is a fire station that has a bulb close to 100 years old that still works. Yet I replaced a 60 watt bulb in a light fixture, clicked it on and it popped.

My point is in my opinion, the pulsing version of these pumps will fail quicker than the those that run continuously. Not that 2 years is acceptable either. I have been very lucky in that I have not had to replace a pump at all for over 10 years. I use external pumps and Sea Swirls to move the water.

I have mine on "reef crest" mode most of the time. I feel that if I have them continuously on a more aggressive mode that it would create a higher potential for failure. I do use the "nutrient transport" mode for 3 hours each day and boy do they get hot!! "Reef crest" mode is much kinder i.e. they just stay slightly warm instead. I believe this equates into longer life for the pump.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned both an M1 and L1... they both went bad in just under a year. Customer service has always been spot on though.

I have to admit I bought into the “price must = quality” and boy was I wrong. I replaced a 16 year old Mag12 that never failed on me as my return pump this year with the Vectra L1. The only reason I replaced was being ahead of the curve because the MAG was old. Well 10 months in and my L1 seized yesterday. Took it out of sump and cleaned it up and noticed the impeller is super tight in pump. Finally pry open and it looks like plastic inside the pump shaft is melted. Found my old Mag in garage and hooked it up and old faithful works like the day I got it! Thank goodness I had a $59 backup pump to my $500 L1 pump!!!
Super disappointed and more alarming is the number of L1 and M1 failures that I am finding on the forums and online. Should have done my research and now I’m worried about my MP40s failing. I’m starting a new 300 gallon build next month and I’m rethinking my plan of going all Ecotech pumps and lights.

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit I bought into the “price must = quality” and boy was I wrong. I replaced a 16 year old Mag12 that never failed on me as my return pump this year with the Vectra L1. The only reason I replaced was being ahead of the curve because the MAG was old. Well 10 months in and my L1 seized yesterday. Took it out of sump and cleaned it up and noticed the impeller is super tight in pump. Finally pry open and it looks like plastic inside the pump shaft is melted. Found my old Mag in garage and hooked it up and old faithful works like the day I got it! Thank goodness I had a $59 backup pump to my $500 L1 pump!!!
Super disappointed and more alarming is the number of L1 and M1 failures that I am finding on the forums and online. Should have done my research and now I’m worried about my MP40s failing. I’m starting a new 300 gallon build next month and I’m rethinking my plan of going all Ecotech pumps and lights.

That stinks about the L1. You should have no problem with customer service since it is still in warranty.

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on "reef crest" mode most of the time. I feel that if I have them continuously on a more aggressive mode that it would create a higher potential for failure. I do use the "nutrient transport" mode for 3 hours each day and boy do they get hot!! "Reef crest" mode is much kinder i.e. they just stay slightly warm instead. I believe this equates into longer life for the pump.

When my L1 started going out they suggested I turn it down because it was overheating. It seems to me that a pump that sits in 78F water should be designed to not overheat. Turning it down didn't help and they sent out an entire replacement because it was still in warranty, top notch customer service for sure.

I think in the case of the mp40 the motor is outside the water and doesn't benefit from being cooled by being in the water. Once again this is the major design feature of the pump and should be accounted for in the engineering but they get very hot when you run them at 100%. If they are not designed to continually run at full speed this should be noted in the users guide. I think they expect users to run one of the variable programs so they don't have to address what seems to be a flaw.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has nothing to do with your grammar or writing, it is the attitude conveyed in your writing that makes you come across as immature. And you keep completely missing the point. This is about voicing my opinion about the product inside the manufacturers forum on an internationally recognized platform. It is not about money at all and you just can't understand that it seems. Do you see how people are rethinking their plans to use ecotech equipment? That is the point.

Please enjoy your day at the academy of science, it is a good place to learn something useful.
Just ignore him, the more you feed him the more he'll come back. Anyone who can write that a return pump is not an asset then go on to say that reefers are "ballers on a budget" while talking about his own tank is very hard to take seriously. You can tell someone's personality when they brag about selling drugs on a family reefing forum. As for the original thread, I don't trust ecotech and spending that much money on a pump to have it fail so quickly is upsetting. I understand products fail so I pay attention to reviews on how a company handles there issues and with all the threads coming out about faulty ecotech pumps and they don't even respond surprises me but also tells me how much they care.

75galOCD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MPs are worth every cent IMO the clean look is way better then any other junker hanging on the glass sticking 6" into the tank just ugly! Have you seen them, do you even look into the tank? You would have to be blind not to notice, night & day. Its as bad as putting concrete in for rock to save a couple bucks. I'll pay the money reefing is one of the reasons I work.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back