• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Price doesn't equal quality/ longevity when it comes to Ecotech

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had any issues with Tunze going back 30 years. Yes I had a complete Tunze system on a 100 gallon tank and it was the greatest tank I set up. One of my customers (aquarium store owner) saw the tank and bought it on sight with all the contents at a good margin for myself. He was stunned by the vitality of the fish and inverts in the system. I still miss that tank. Maybe someday! Still have Tunze running on small 40 gallon tank that is about to get rebooted and moved to a larger tank. Just have to make the final design choices. The tunze skimmer is about 15 years old in the tank and still running the old pump with not impellor replacement yet! Tunze and Eheim are the best pumps and equipment I have ever used in long term tanks.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precisely why I got the Tunze 6095s. IMO, they’re Tunze’s MP40 equivalents designed with the wide flow nozzle.
To be fair the 6095 is only $60 less than i paid for my last MP40, has almost half the flow and doesn't interface to apex as well.

Do they ever go on sale for less?

10% off would put it at the same price as a Wav at least.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair the 6095 is only $60 less than i paid for my last MP40, has almost half the flow and doesn't interface to apex as well.

Do they ever go on sale for less?

10% off would put it at the same price as a Wav at least.

I got both of my 6095s for 25% off, so $172.50 each to run on a 36x18x20 tank with 1/2” thick glass, so it’s perfect for my needs. (I should have clarified that the 6095s were perfect MP40 alternatives for my specific situation). My MP10QDs were worthless on 1/2” glass, so the alternative were the MP40QDs... I just didn’t want to deal with all of the reported issues that came with a so called premium pump and having to replace a wetside every 18 months. And yes, after a bunch of MP40QD wetside failures became known, Ecotech stated that the wet sides were “wear items” that should be replaced every 18 months! Funny, as I don’t ever remember this being the case in prior Vortech generations until after the new MP40QD wetsides had issues, a shameless money grab as far as I’m concerned by calling it a “wear item” for a design or QC failure. This was discussed over on RC.

Although definitely more complex in set up, the controllable Tunze pumps are infinitely adjustable through the Apex VDM using Slief’s Tunze programming thread on RC. I also do expect them to last 10-15 years. In the event that something does go wrong, replacement parts are available down to the individual bushing if ever needed. Plus, Roger Vitko’s customer service for Tunze products is second to none.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also be nice to see a forum addressing the ridiculously high price of a silicon chips with a pieces of plastic stuck on it for a lense...i.e LED lighting. Does anybody want to buy a $1000.00 smartphone? That last 2 years max before it craps out! LOL.

We as consumers have to stick together and demand a little more for a hard earned cash all around. Manufactures will charge what people are willing to pay for it...including the type of warranty offered.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm one of those people who really likes Ecotech products and has never (really) had a bad experience with the products or the customer service.

I've been into reef keeping for only 7 years or so and through that time I've probably had close to a dozen Vortech's. I own a pair of MP10's from 2011 that still work fine and have never had their wetside replaced. I have two MP40's a couple years younger in the same boat. On my current tanks I have had 2 MP40's that I gave to a family member and they too are going strong. I'm personally using 3 MP10QDs on a tank for over a year without any wear on the wetsides. I have 4 MP40QD ready for a different project.

I have had two generations of Radion lighting, the first being Gen 2 XR30s and the current Gen 4 XR15s. Ecotech lighting has never been a problem for me and I wouldn't hesitate to consider them again.

My L1 is the only questionable/disappointing purchase from Ecotech to date. I've contacted support and they offered to change it out but I've been in this weird middle ground where the pump likes to randomly shut off but reboot fine once I spend the time to unplug the controller. I will need to send it in to be replaced and hopefully they warranty the issue... but looking at how prevalent the issues are with these pumps... I'm not sure I'd trust this return pump on anything other than a FOWLR.

All of that being said, I suspect that either production quality (product inspections, etc) has gotten worse, or the quality of components may have diminished over time due to increased cost and competition. I love Ecotech products but its not a coincidence when dozens of users report fairly regularly that wet sides are corroded after a very short time when I have multiple from 5 years back that are basically pristine.

Ecotech has a monopoly on aesthetics, but if that ever changes I think people will pay more for better quality and customer service. People love Abyzz pumps because of how well they function and their 10 year warranty. I'm sure someone could charge 600$ for an equivalent size/flow of an MP40QD and if it were a reputable company with a 10 year warranty I'm sure many would jump on it.

Even if something is cheap and easy to replace (like a wetside... cheap being subjective here) many people simply don't want to have to worry about it.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my mind, our tanks are like a Ferrari. If your gonna drive one you better have the coin to fix it. Or better yet a boat. You've all heard there's regular money and there's water money.

You pay 350, so when your pump breaks, you call vortech. And they send new one or parts no problem. Even after warranty.

For me I compare to construction a lot. you get a deal of a lifetime your bathroom remodel. Water starts coming through the ceiling. Good luck getting that deal making check collecting schmo out to fix it. Some people put tile in there showers even if I tell them repeatedly, it MIGHT last 4-5 years with there choice. There ok with that.

So I guess if you a vortech owner? Or want to purchase? Just know they'll take care of the problems. Also no there most likely will be problems.

I buy extra everything. That way when something goes out or needs cleaning. Just throw your spare on and no stress.

spartanomega21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been running my mp20 for over 7 years solid now i think without any replacemnt parts and still runs beautifully

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pay 350, so when your pump breaks, you call vortech. And they send new one or parts no problem. Even after warranty.

So I guess if you a vortech owner? Or want to purchase? Just know they'll take care of the problems. Also no there most likely will be problems.

Unfortunately , that hasn’t been the case for the OP.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rolling with a m1 for now. Need to order red dragon. I won't put up with a return going. Of coarse you can only do so much. I'm think AC red dragon is pretty solid and proven

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fords that run solid 150k miles just beat to the ground. I've had fords start shutting down at 20k miles.

I've had vortechs last 2-4 years no problems, I've had some 2-4 months that just quit.

Sad to say. But it is what it is. You need to move on my friend. Go get a new pump forget about the old. Dwelling on a reef tank pump only holds you back. Dwelling on anything holds you back.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. And a lot of other people. It all boils down to, do you want more electricity in the water or not. Who else makes a pump with no cords I. The water?

So then I’m not sure I understand your post about buy Ecotech (Ferrari) and they’ll take care of you... am I missing something?

We run submersible return pumps, skimmers, reactors and heaters in the water, now all of a sudden wave makers are a no no in the water? I believe Ecotech’s patent on the external magnetic pump drive runs out soon. It will be interesting to see what competitor gives Ecotech some completion in that realm.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say. But it is what it is. You need to move on my friend. Go get a new pump forget about the old. Dwelling on a reef tank pump only holds you back. Dwelling on anything holds you back.

Yes, let’s bury our heads in the sand and continue to buy, buy, buy. Some nerve we have for holding manufacturers to a higher standard based on their premium pricing. :rolleyes:

My friend, this is a discussion forum where we actually discuss things. :eek: In this case, we happen to be discussing what our expectations should be for items that are deemed premium in our hobby, be it through their pricing or through perception.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Gonna go put my tank aside for now. Gotta make a lot of money to buy buy buy, and not worry worry worry.

There price is average. What's 350 now days anyways. Shoot frags are 1000 now.

Honestly what's the point of this thread? Discussion sounds like a bunch of crying to me. If it's to detour from buying? good luck again. Either way gotta go now. You guys have fun dwelling. Buying new and forgetting the problem is what I would do. to each his own.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately , that hasn’t been the case for the OP.
So then I’m not sure I understand your post about buy Ecotech (Ferrari) and they’ll take care of you... am I missing something?

We run submersible return pumps, skimmers, reactors and heaters in the water, now all of a sudden wave makers are a no no in the water? I believe Ecotech’s patent on the external magnetic pump drive runs out soon. It will be interesting to see what competitor gives Ecotech some completion in that realm.
My reference was to Reef tanks in general. I was just saying it's kinda a rich hobbie. If your gonna play you should be ready to fix. Which in most cases means pulling out that check book.
To me I'd take all the energy you guys spend worrying, and use it to figure out how make a boat load more money so the 350 wasn't a worry.

But whatever. These dang sites will get you (me) sucked in sometimes. I really gotta go. Rise and grind. Have fun!!

Don't let your pump suck up your Saturday go buy a new one.

Specfishin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a new jebao. Quit paying for equipment way overpriced. Ecotech brand or not. Haven't had an issue with any jebao pumps yet. Its been 2 years now. Yes their doser pump is garbage. And yes they have some bad reviews too. I can get a one year replacement for a jebao and somehow we're justifying a 350.00 pump with a one year warranty and out of luck and 350.00 month 13?? I have the money to buy an expensive brand piece of equipment. But not until a company can show they have had issues and make a statement about possibly giving a longer warranty or improving a design/quality control. Tunze pumps, not as many issues either. Just saying a reputation will grow. And prospective buyers, like myself, will not make an investment into something i'd possibly have to replace, when i can knowingly invest less and just changeout a pump yearly or biannually anyhow. I'm sure i'm not the only one hoping they (ecotech) would state we are looming into any issues and willing to extend the pump warranty to 2 or 3 years. Problem is I think they know they have a flaw and can't warranty past the time of their noisy bearing issues or case molds. There are other buying solutions to bypass ecotech as a pump brand. All my opinion, as a reefer, always looking to automate my glass boxes.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had an MP 40 in service over 10 years. Replaced magnet once and power supply twice.
Wet side once. I have 3 mp40s and 2 mp10
I have 4 Tunze pumps. They do break. I have sent them out for repair several times. Broken motors impellers, magnets. You name it. Bottom line....things break unfortunately. It happens.
Battery back ups......I have 3 total. One day I realized they were all dead at one time when I needed them. Lol. I almost bought brand new ones at $165 each. Then.....learned how to replace the battery itself inside for $39. Yahooo!!!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back