• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Price doesn't equal quality/ longevity when it comes to Ecotech

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a first gen xf150 when they first came out...before the price drop and were $299.00

A few months in it had no movement.

I contacted coral view and got for an RMA and instead got an email detailing how to replace parts...i actually has to buy spare parts for it but it still wouldn't run.

I contacted them again and got no reaponse.

It's been my mission to tell everyone i possibly can to avoid reef octopus, coralvue, and Maxspect products since.

When i had problems with my Wav..even out of warranty Neptune worked with me. As did Kessil.

Have never had to call Ecotech.

I actually had similar experience. My XF250 controller couldn’t created the flow pattern I wanted although it was listed in the manual. So when I contacted Coralvue I was told not to use that flow patter and go with something else. It was very surprising to me and I finally had to post a Vedic on youtube to make my point. After that Coralvue finally agreed that the controller was not working properly. A patch was published after about a week.
I was not worked up because of the controller wasn’t working but because I was told not to use the function that was listed in the manual... It’s just like buying a car and was told “ this car is not meant to run over 30 MPH so don’t drive too fast”....

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re literally describing iPhones. Every year they slow down and after a few years they become absolete, even though the hardware stays intact. A ton of people still want them and buy them regardless.

Many of my friends are still using iPhone 4s and they still run fine. I personally think iPhone is still the most reliable cell phone on the market. If you take care of them they can easily run for 5+ years.
Also comparing smart phone and a pump is somewhat misleading because when you buy a smart phone you aim for technology which obsolete quickly in modern days. But when you buy a pump you are expecting some very basic physical movement from it which does not obsolete that often. It’s just like when we buy heaters or fans. How much has heaters changed in the last fifty years? We still have fire place in a lot newly built homes.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp40’s have been the best pumps I ever had. Also NOT having electricity in the tank is still the biggest selling point for me. After 4 years I had a wet side go bad and it was cover in full by ecotech. I still do think you get what you pay for. Ecotech makes a darn good product but you as the owner need to keep up with cleaning and maintenance. Don’t complain about a pump that went bad and you never took it out of the water once to clean it.....that’s on you!

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything breaks.
350,000 dollar cars break down.
The reason you hear jebao pumps breaking down so much is because they outsell other pumps probably by a huge margin so the more of them that are out there the more you'll hear of them being junk.
Usually that's the only time you hear of a products reliability, when it breaks down.
Happens with everything made.
I have a 4300 dollar fish finder that is flawless, I can see what is under my boat as if there was no water underneath it, if you search the net all you'll see is unhappy customers.
I'd like to have echo tech pumps but I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money on them.
They are good pumps.

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to pitch in my experience, I had a XR30PRO that was well out of warranty and they went above and beyond with my issue. Price has nothing to do with it, it's all about customer support that reflects the quality of the company, not some unhappy people that just happened to have some bad luck. It's a shame you can come to such a conclusion because of that, If I followed your mindset I would be protesting them, because my $700 light went bad, well guess what? I paid an additional $70 to ship it to them to possibly be told that im SOL and instead I was taken care of.

Will I also never buy a VW again because I had a brand new lemon in 2015? no...

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to pitch in my experience, I had a XR30PRO that was well out of warranty and they went above and beyond with my issue. Price has nothing to do with it, it's all about customer support that reflects the quality of the company, not some unhappy people that just happened to have some bad luck. It's a shame you can come to such a conclusion because of that, If I followed your mindset I would be protesting them, because my $700 light went bad, well guess what? I paid an additional $70 to ship it to them to possibly be told that im SOL and instead I was taken care of.

Will I also never buy a VW again because I had a brand new lemon in 2015? no...
This can go both ways. I've also heard horrible stories about ecotech and bad customer service. I'm on a budget and if I saved for months to buy a premium product then it fails prematurely I'd be upset too. How the company handles the situation would be the deciding factor if I would purchase there product again. Same would go for the car situation. If VW handled the problem correctly ofcourse I'd buy another vehicle. Everything breaks eventually but a company standing behind there product means a lot to me. I've got friends that have had great experiences with ecotech support so I can see both sides to the debate.

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can go both ways. I've also heard horrible stories about ecotech and bad customer service. I'm on a budget and if I saved for months to buy a premium product then it fails prematurely I'd be upset too. How the company handles the situation would be the deciding factor if I would purchase there product again. Same would go for the car situation. If VW handled the problem correctly ofcourse I'd buy another vehicle. Everything breaks eventually but a company standing behind there product means a lot to me. I've got friends that have had great experiences with ecotech support so I can see both sides to the debate.

100%, the response from the company is a very heavy factor, but my point is if they would have said "sorry there's nothing we can do", I wouldn't have took to the internet to express my anger and vowed to never buy the company's product again.

To answer your question, VW was no help at all, not until I hired an attorney did they offer a replacement. I would still buy one though if something good came out.

Life is too short to constantly have a cynical view of the world.

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wankell, that is interesting that it is ok for you to spend more money to hire an attorney to go after VW but I am cynical for getting on a very popular reef forum to express my frustration with ecotech for not replacing a power block for a 2 year old item. Seems like a double standard to me. The excellent customer service isn't going to move any water around in my tank but it is nice.

I am pretty sure that if they would not have fixed that light you would not be on here defending ecotech and you more than likely would not have bought another one. The situation came out in your favor so of course you would defend them.

It is also obvious that some people are not actually reading the entire post because I have been pretty clear it was the power block and not anything to do with the motor or wetside. I clean my all my pumps regularly so they keep performing with maximum efficiency.

I am also not surprised that this was moved out of the ecotech forum and buried in the buy/sell, trade then vendor feedback. Why would this not be allowed to stay in the ecotech forum? Is it that they pay for sponsoring and R2R doesn't want to damage that relationship? This is not vendor feedback, they told me they would not replace it, this is information for reefers so they can make an informed decision on buying equipment. Is the ecotech forum only for if you want to say something good about them? Wow, I also see that moving makes it so updates don't show up on the front page.

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wankell, that is interesting that it is ok for you to spend more money to hire an attorney to go after VW but I am cynical for getting on a very popular reef forum to express my frustration with ecotech for not replacing a power block for a 2 year old item. Seems like a double standard to me.

Except for the part where if they don't win, you don't pay anything. Speaking of cynical...

I am pretty sure that if they would not have fixed that light you would not be on here defending ecotech and you more than likely would not have bought another one. The situation came out in your favor so of course you would defend them.

Actually, I would, considering I have used an MP pump for many years, and it also is one of the best pumps on the market.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what is worth there are still companies that stand behind their product. I have read in multiple occasions Kessil provides support and parts for free even when the claims were filed by the 2nd or 3rd owners. If a company is willing to back up their products like that it means they are extremely confident instead of taking chances. Good quality control doesn’t mean 99% of the products are good and 1% are not. It means one faulty product in millions. This is where six sigma comes from in case some one knows the term. For us who spends half a grand on a pump I don’t think that’s asking for too much.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy with an iphone i had, my 2nd or 3rd one matter of fact. Forced to update ios (op system) caused phone to run horrible. Tried to revert back. Apple does not allow this. Worked fine until update. I was not the only one with this problem. I was forced into buying another more modern phone. I refused to stay with apple at that point. Im not being manipulated to buy something that is not needed when it "could" easily be fixed.
Same here been android every since

Heathd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ecotech products I've owned were a pair of MP40s. They were pretty reliable, with my main complaint being that Ecotech yanked the wetside rebuild kit from their site. $15 to rebuilt a wetside is a lot nicer on the pocket book than $75 for a replacement wetside... its also just wasteful.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ecotech products I've owned were a pair of MP40s. They were pretty reliable, with my main complaint being that Ecotech yanked the wetside rebuild kit from their site. $15 to rebuilt a wetside is a lot nicer on the pocket book than $75 for a replacement wetside... its also just wasteful.

More money for them

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mp10 w thats been running nonstop for over 3 years and it still runs like day 1. I even dropped the dry side on the floor a week ago accidentally. If it were to quit today, with how much it cost, i would be extremely disappointed and I would switch to these new jebaos. But, it lives on...

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't even find a descent youtube on how to take down a qd Westside...its much easier than the old unit...just turn the other way.

I guess with their price drop from $499 to $349 this is how they make a bit up.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back