• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Price doesn't equal quality/ longevity when it comes to Ecotech

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the MP powerheads but I like the look of my gyre even better;) It seems the older version on MP powerheads were built better? Not sure if there's any truth to that but I've seen older models before quitedrive still running strong.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a question to those that have had success with their Ecotech for 10 years or so? Are these units running all the time? Or are these units the style that pulse on and off?

This reference might be a little different, however it has been proven that turning a light bulb on and off will cause it to fail sooner than a light bulb that is left on all the time. Don't remember exact dates on this point either, but there is a fire station that has a bulb close to 100 years old that still works. Yet I replaced a 60 watt bulb in a light fixture, clicked it on and it popped.

My point is in my opinion, the pulsing version of these pumps will fail quicker than the those that run continuously. Not that 2 years is acceptable either. I have been very lucky in that I have not had to replace a pump at all for over 10 years. I use external pumps and Sea Swirls to move the water.

I’ve had my mp40 for I think 6 years now. I honestly think they were of better quality back then and that is why they lasted as long as they did. Whatever changes that were made to their manufacturing process or materials used were not for the better.

Also another thing I’ve noticed about ecotech is that they no longer sell parts for their equipment so that we can fix issues ourself (or at least that I can find so if I’m wrong on this please point me in the right direction) forcing people to have to buy new equipment when a bushing or bearing will suffice in some instances. They, along with AI, no longer sell upgrades for their lights. It would seem they are no longer interested in supporting past customers but instead are only interested in selling new products. If those new products are made to fail, like the wear item wetside, then it forces us to buy more products. It would seem their business model has changed.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JasReef did you do anything with the powerheads. If theres no plan, or any support from echotech, does it make sense to give it shot in fixing them in house? I am particularly interested in understanding if the pump itself is broken or the controller, if the pump is fine, we can find a way to salvage the pump with alternate controller.
I have mp10, which has started making noise recently, I am kinda worried...

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very bad experience with ecotech and a light. I have not posted about it but the long and sort of it was I sent a light in for repair. They told me water damage which seemed quite unlikely, and said would cut me a deal on new light. I said no please try to fix. Called next day and said was unrepairable as they tried new driver but the light kept failing as they tested it. Said again would give me a deal on new light. I said no please ship back.

Got the light back and just gave it to my friend for parts. He opened it up and found a blown fuse. Replaced fuse and it's running to the day.

I can't come to any other conclusions that they flat out lied to me. I would like to think maybe they got signals crossed somewhere, somehow, but sure seemed like they flat out lied just to sell me a g4 which they tried on 3 phone calls. I have pictures and the whole deal but not posted it as I don't want to start drama.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also be nice to see a forum addressing the ridiculously high price of a silicon chips with a pieces of plastic stuck on it for a lense...i.e LED lighting. Does anybody want to buy a $1000.00 smartphone? That last 2 years max before it craps out! LOL.

We as consumers have to stick together and demand a little more for a hard earned cash all around. Manufactures will charge what people are willing to pay for it...including the type of warranty offered.
Have you heard of Apple iphoes . ???

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I have had a gyre 150 going for 2 years with no problems at all. I like them so much I went with 2 gyre 280's with this tank and have not had any problems. I like that maxspect sends two sets of impellers, that makes it so much easier to keep them clean without being down while cleaning them.

I don't think we should accept $350-500 pumps that only last 2 years. Maybe we should expect a better warranty, especially the parts not involved in any wet activity, like a power block.

I need to do some research on the new Tunze model 3. I was using the mp40 to hit a small area in an 8 foot tank and I need to replace it. Thanks for the input.

I totally agree. For the premium prices they charge it is not reasonable to expect one year warranty. The only thing I like about EcoTech pumps is the wires are not in the tank. The down side is you can’t even change directions!
For what is worth I have bought three pairs of gyres because I like them so much and I also don’t see the wires. The controller had some flaws initially and customer service is somewhat hard to deal with but after all the issues I had were resolved and I just really like the flow pattern. Spare parts in the package of course is also super cool.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about your maxspect gyre lasting only 3 months. Can you share your story? That stinks when you save to get that big item and get dud. That is where buying local comes in handy, I am sure of a couple lfs's that would give you another one and RMS the bad unit for you in my area.

I was told that the first generation gyres were not good and even had a reputable lfs tell me to probably stay away for now. I waited until the version 2 came out and knew I wanted 2 on my 8 foot build. I just like how they move water, the new controller is better than the first one but it should have wifi capability and some sort of app with it, coral vue said it would be out sometime and they don't know when, not a deal breaker, but built in wifi shouldn't be a problem in late 2017. I run 2 280s and 1 150 in this tank, i will probably go with a new 250 with the controller because it is backward compatible with the 150 according to coral vue. There is the choice of the Glamorca Gyre, i think thats what its called.

Since I haven't had an issue with any of them yet I have no idea how their customer service is.
I bought a first gen xf150 when they first came out...before the price drop and were $299.00

A few months in it had no movement.

I contacted coral view and got for an RMA and instead got an email detailing how to replace parts...i actually has to buy spare parts for it but it still wouldn't run.

I contacted them again and got no reaponse.

It's been my mission to tell everyone i possibly can to avoid reef octopus, coralvue, and Maxspect products since.

When i had problems with my Wav..even out of warranty Neptune worked with me. As did Kessil.

Have never had to call Ecotech.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have an email out to Ecotech on my 10 month old Vectra L1 seizing. Hopefully thy are fast to replace the new one. This is what mine looks like today it looks like impeller melted small area inside the pump. There is bumps inside the shaft that should be smooth not sure but The impeller should come out very easy and mine was stuck inside and would not turn.

d6510612e7f6e59570c4a45dbd9e2a2a.heic
99da8142d6059f5335b07922679277e6.heic
31d7666cdea25d2bf9407894e80c0cb3.heic

Specfishin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re literally describing iPhones. Every year they slow down and after a few years they become absolete, even though the hardware stays intact. A ton of people still want them and buy them regardless.

I was happy with an iphone i had, my 2nd or 3rd one matter of fact. Forced to update ios (op system) caused phone to run horrible. Tried to revert back. Apple does not allow this. Worked fine until update. I was not the only one with this problem. I was forced into buying another more modern phone. I refused to stay with apple at that point. Im not being manipulated to buy something that is not needed when it "could" easily be fixed.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re literally describing iPhones. Every year they slow down and after a few years they become absolete, even though the hardware stays intact. A ton of people still want them and buy them regardless.
Yes, exactly. And they stand in line at 3:00 am to be the first ones to get their new "bright shiny things" for a thousand dollars! LOL Where's the consumerism these days. The definition of Consumerism used to mean the protection of consumers. Now the definition can mean the acquisition of goods. Funny how things change.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy with an iphone i had, my 2nd or 3rd one matter of fact. Forced to update ios (op system) caused phone to run horrible. Tried to revert back. Apple does not allow this. Worked fine until update. I was not the only one with this problem. I was forced into buying another more modern phone. I refused to stay with apple at that point. Im not being manipulated to buy something that is not needed when it "could" easily be fixed.[/QUOTE
Forced is right... One day you wake up and your phone is no longer working the way it did the day before...welcome to the new reality, kind of Orwellian...it's almost as though they have their hand right in your bank account.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People around me have had this “quit working” issues with both Jebao and EcoTech that I have learned to just use Jebao and use the money I saved to get a backup ready to go. I do think EcoTech is overpriced. It’s hard to compete with companies like Jebao on price. At the end of the day it’s a preference thing. For me I use Jebao and Gyre and I’m very satisfied with how well they work and the price.

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MPs are worth every cent IMO the clean look is way better then any other junker hanging on the glass sticking 6" into the tank just ugly! Have you seen them, do you even look into the tank? You would have to be blind not to notice, night & day. Its as bad as putting concrete in for rock to save a couple bucks. I'll pay the money reefing is one of the reasons I work.
I do like the way it sits on glass with no visible cords but to be honest I never really look at seeing cords in the tank and think only other reefers see them. Someone was looking at my tank and he loved the look of the gyres covered with Coraline, I did't have the heart to tell him they would be coming out soon for a good vinegar bath. Point is you never know what a non reefer is going to like the best.
I do see them in my tank but to me they are a living part of the reef, keeping that flow which is the life blood of the tank.

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JasReef did you do anything with the powerheads. If theres no plan, or any support from echotech, does it make sense to give it shot in fixing them in house? I am particularly interested in understanding if the pump itself is broken or the controller, if the pump is fine, we can find a way to salvage the pump with alternate controller.
I have mp10, which has started making noise recently, I am kinda worried...

As far as I can tell the power block has gone bad, not the quite drive itself just the block that it plugs into. All I really need to do is see if anyone local has an extra power block they can trade for a frag or some money, just not 50. The pump was fully operational until the power block quit.

OP
OP
JasReef

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ignore him, the more you feed him the more he'll come back. Anyone who can write that a return pump is not an asset then go on to say that reefers are "ballers on a budget" while talking about his own tank is very hard to take seriously. You can tell someone's personality when they brag about selling drugs on a family reefing forum. As for the original thread, I don't trust ecotech and spending that much money on a pump to have it fail so quickly is upsetting. I understand products fail so I pay attention to reviews on how a company handles there issues and with all the threads coming out about faulty ecotech pumps and they don't even respond surprises me but also tells me how much they care.

Normally I do avoid people like him but I do enjoy having a good dialogue with people I may not agree with but he clearly needs to be put out to pasture I think. I was thinking with his logic and thought about when the glass in his tank gets dirty he doesn't clean, he just gets a new tank, baller. I feel bad in the long run for him because in my experience anyone who speaks so caviler about money is not a happy person. Sure he has all his toys but when it is just him alone he probably feels empty and without substance. Anyway, I will not address him again. Thanks

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy with an iphone i had, my 2nd or 3rd one matter of fact. Forced to update ios (op system) caused phone to run horrible. Tried to revert back. Apple does not allow this. Worked fine until update. I was not the only one with this problem. I was forced into buying another more modern phone. I refused to stay with apple at that point. Im not being manipulated to buy something that is not needed when it "could" easily be fixed.
Yeah it’s kind of an iPhone thing. They constantly slowing the old phones down by not optimising the iOS, and then push the “40% faster “ thing to everyone. Btw “ I️ “. —- this is an example of another bug btw . “I️” l think you can actually force downgrade the phone. You might want to look up some YouTube videos on how to do that.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell the power block has gone bad, not the quite drive itself just the block that it plugs into. All I really need to do is see if anyone local has an extra power block they can trade for a frag or some money, just not 50. The pump was fully operational until the power block quit.
Then it should not be hard to replace the power supply. I distinctly remember a thread on extending the chord, making a controller is trivial

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back