Price increase..Really

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I Am trying to find out here is did tropic raise prices or not…was it the shipping and COVID related or is the vendor at hand here. Not pointing fingers just want to know…I can accept price raises due to COVID and such but I can not accept raising prices due to demand…that maybe just me..

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cue the parade of people who either have no idea what they are talking about, or have had their heads in the sand... or somewhere else.... for the past 14 months.

Take a guess how much it costed to ship a 40' container into the US last year? Roughly 5-6k in shipping.

Take a guess how much it costs now to ship a 40' container into the United States this year? $16,000 and climbing.

A lot of folks need to take less time spouting off their uninformed opinions to the masses, and more time actually reading and researching what the heck is going on in the world around them.

Cost of lumber is near double, cost of raw copper is DOUBLE what it costs last year, overseas freight cost are jumping double digits MONTHLY.... and here we have folks with jaws agape at a $10/bucket increase in the cost of a salt imported via container from Europe.

You are still in the crux of a pandemic, whether you want to admit that to yourselves or not is a whole other discussion.

Pricing and reliability of overseas goods will be extremely volatile through early 2022.

Sincerely, someone who makes their living selling imported manufactured goods from asia, to supplement our factory here in the USA.
Very true. Some common lumber here is 4x the price from a year ago. Garbage can liners are up 24%. Some of the common chemicals used in commercial HVAC applications are up 350% from March 2020. Suppliers in my area of work are saying even if they haven't seen price increases yet, they are expecting them across the board and to see those costs stay up for a good 18-months "post-pandemic."

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that’s bad go try to by some plywood at Home Depot...
I work in the construction industry, the pain is far from over…daily I am being sent price changes…vendors were getting price escalation maybe once or twice a year…they are getting them weekly now and there is no such thing as honoring their quoted prices…this is going to keep up until at least the end of the year,so if you think they are bad now, the worst is yet to come

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...but I can not accept raising prices due to demand…that maybe just me..
That is literally Economics 101 though. There is almost nothing you can buy if that is your criteria. I really am not trying to be rude here or come off that way.

A $10 increase is far from a price gouge where someone is just trying to make a few quick bucks and disappear. Just ask yourself why everything you buy is the price it is. iPhone? Samsung? Cars? The market drives price. That is life and our hobby is no different. Nothing we buy is a necessity for life in this hobby.

BTW, just wait until you see what other items are about to have MAP increases in the next little bit. If you are wanting a big ticket item, now is the time to get it if you can. You will see other major compaines all instigate a 5-15% MAP increase shortly. Shipping is destroying these companies. The only one to pay for it is the consumers.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is literally Economics 101 though. There is almost nothing you can buy if that is your criteria. I really am not trying to be rude here or come off that way.

A $10 increase is far from a price gouge where someone is just trying to make a few quick bucks and disappear. Just ask yourself why everything you buy is the price it is. iPhone? Samsung? Cars? The market drives price. That is life and our hobby is no different. Nothing we buy is a necessity for life in this hobby.

BTW, just wait until you see what other items are about to have MAP increases in the next little bit. If you are wanting a big ticket item, now is the time to get it if you can. You will see other major compaines all instigate a 5-15% MAP increase shortly. Shipping is destroying these companies. The only one to pay for it is the consumers.
I understand and I thank you for putting it in perspective...not rude at all,again I thank you...my emotions just got the best of me on this...I have choices I can make, and I will on this subject...

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand and I thank you for putting it in perspective...not rude at all,again I thank you...my emotions just got the best of me on this...I have choices I can make, and I will on this subject...
You’re all good. The price increase doesn’t equate to value. So while I was okay at $99 I’m not okay at $110. The nice thing is that there are many other salts to choose from and all (?) at a lower price point. I’m sure I can find a salt that I’m comfortable with at lower price that represents reasonable value. So we can change salts — not an economist or even a business person but it’s called price elasticity or something.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say I stuck with tmp,but I’m going to switch also..I’m not going to name the salt but it’s the same quality and much cheaper, and readily available

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inflation. Just look at commodities. Steel, copper, aluminum, cardboard and even freight is way up. A twenty foot container now runs $11,000, which is crazy. Copper was $4,500 M/T a couple of years ago and now runs around $11,000. Growth in emerging markets, rebounding housing market and associated consumer spending all play a role. Record low rates drive commercial expansion and investment. Trump tariffs only compound the issue. Expect to see more cost increases across the board...

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be something that the home hobbyist will most likely not understand. But I am going to try my best to be honest, candid and transparent in my response, as I always do.

This Tropic Marin MAP increase has NOTHING to do with the increase in demand that we have seen over the past year. The true and actual reason the MAP pricing is increasing is because, at the current time, there are increases in shipping costs from overseas of more than 200% in many cases. Tropic Marin has done a very good job of not passing increased shipping costs on to our customers up to now. However, it is just not possible for us to keep that up now that the increases are getting even larger. For that reason, all of our distributor customers are seeing shipping surcharges added onto their orders. We anticipate that they will, in turn, pass those shipping charges onto their customers, the retailers. We cannot expect retailers to have increased costs from their distributors without passing those costs on to their customers, the hobbyists. In order to support the retailers in our industry, we saw no other course to take other than to increase MAP so that the playing field would be equal for everyone.

This is not a good situation. And I totally agree that this is the worst possible time for this to happen. But NO ONE is making any more money with these MAP increases but the shipping companies. There is no alternative other than stopping shipping to the US altogether. I definitely don't want to do that.

I encourage you to look into the current international container shipping crisis. You will see that everything I am saying is 100% true. The increased supply that we have been talking about for the past year is finally starting to come over. We have not yet hit the middle of this year. But this shipping situation is a horrible crisis that is effecting all imports at the current time.

It is very easy to point fingers and complain. It is so easy to criticize, even when people are working their hardest to make things right. But if you have any concrete solutions to these costs and the current shipping crisis, I encourage you to contact me directly. I would love to know what can be done.

I'm sure I will have to give the information I have given in this post many times before this is over. But this is the real story and the real reason behind these increases. And I stand by everything I have said here. I hope, that when this pandemic is over, things will return to normal and we can stop dealing with these outrageous charges. But for now, we are backed into a corner if we are to continue in this market. My sincere hope is that telling the truth of the situation, that people will understand and continue to believe in the integrity of the Tropic Marin brand.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be something that the home hobbyist will most likely not understand. But I am going to try my best to be honest, candid and transparent in my response, as I always do.

This Tropic Marin MAP increase has NOTHING to do with the increase in demand that we have seen over the past year. The true and actual reason the MAP pricing is increasing is because, at the current time, there are increases in shipping costs from overseas of more than 200% in many cases. Tropic Marin has done a very good job of not passing increased shipping costs on to our customers up to now. However, it is just not possible for us to keep that up now that the increases are getting even larger. For that reason, all of our distributor customers are seeing shipping surcharges added onto their orders. We anticipate that they will, in turn, pass those shipping charges onto their customers, the retailers. We cannot expect retailers to have increased costs from their distributors without passing those costs on to their customers, the hobbyists. In order to support the retailers in our industry, we saw no other course to take other than to increase MAP so that the playing field would be equal for everyone.

This is not a good situation. And I totally agree that this is the worst possible time for this to happen. But NO ONE is making any more money with these MAP increases but the shipping companies. There is no alternative other than stopping shipping to the US altogether. I definitely don't want to do that.

I encourage you to look into the current international container shipping crisis. You will see that everything I am saying is 100% true. The increased supply that we have been talking about for the past year is finally starting to come over. We have not yet hit the middle of this year. But this shipping situation is a horrible crisis that is effecting all imports at the current time.

It is very easy to point fingers and complain. It is so easy to criticize, even when people are working their hardest to make things right. But if you have any concrete solutions to these costs and the current shipping crisis, I encourage you to contact me directly. I would love to know what can be done.

I'm sure I will have to give the information I have given in this post many times before this is over. But this is the real story and the real reason behind these increases. And I stand by everything I have said here. I hope, that when this pandemic is over, things will return to normal and we can stop dealing with these outrageous charges. But for now, we are backed into a corner if we are to continue in this market. My sincere hope is that telling the truth of the situation, that people will understand and continue to believe in the integrity of the Tropic Marin brand.
Lou. Thanks for your thoughtful and candid reply. To your point we saw a lot of prices increase because of shipping, and that’s okay. I also think you, your company, and it’s products are all helpful to this hobby. But at some point some things get too expensive for what they are worth, that’s what I’m taking away from this thread.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Glad i have 3 buckets on hand. This stuff is already high priced. Their setting themselves up for hobbyists to seek an alternate salt - SAD

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Average inflation does not equate to individual raw material increases due to supply and demand. Chips like used in cars and electronics are commanding double or more in some instances. Some raw materials we use can't be found since they are being diverted to health care and related needs and higher priority. Inflation is going to get worse they say before better.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ans some wants everything to be domestically
Made, I can’t imagine how much people will whine.

Reactions: iMi

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you taking the time to post this reasoned explanation. Prices are going up on everything, certainly including shipping, which I imagine was never cheap on 50 pound buckets.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transportation across the board is in short supply whether it be Chemicals, proteins, produce and even dry packaged goods. It really is crazy. I run a transportation company that specializes is all of the above over several different divisions and the shortage is very real. Normal transportation costs of say $5.50 a loaded mile are now almost $7.28 now. Transportation is the number 1 driving force behind the markups and it’s not the transportation companies or In this instance, tropic marine isn’t at fault because they make a solid product that is in high demand. Fuel is up almost $1.26 cents a gallon for highway diesel so fuel surcharges have gone up. Trucking insurance is WAY up there with all the lawsuits that insurance companies settle out and don’t investigate. These things are real money that transportation companies have to deal with just to stay in business. Mind you let’s take a quick look at my trucking 218 transports under 30k last year in lost runs on our insurance and it’s up almost 20% over last. Crazy..

I won’t stop using Tropic Marine salt. It’s been my go-to and will continue to be going forward.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha price increases dont offend me at all....but suggesting that home hobbyists wont understand that shipping costs have went through the roof is a bit offensive lol. In fact in this thread multiple people pointed out the shipping costs before you even posted.

Of course some wont understand, and a segment really wont care the reason and are going to be mad in any case. However i would suggest your " home hobbyist" is on average much more capable of understanding than you give credit for.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2-3 weeks ago I heard about all these price increases that are coming and I'm in the middle of an upgrade to a 72*36 peninsula. I've been using ESV and TM Pro. It was going to cost me over $200 just in salt to fill the tank from either brand. Or I can do it for $60 from IO. That $140+ is a major factor when I have pumps, plumbing, rock, sand, skinning the stand, electronics cabinet, etc still to buy.

So I 100% get where people are coming from here. I don't like seeing the prices on salt these days. It's gotten out of hand if I'm being honest but a bucket used to last me 8+ months on my 50g. I didn't care. Now looking at 30+ gallons per change, I can't justify $100+ every 5-6 weeks.

I like Lou and TM and hate to see what is happening to them. The sad reality is it is happening to EVERYONE though. The shipping companies, factories, ports, etc all need to open back up. That is the only way we get ahead of this mess that has been created. I'll leave that topic alone though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back