Prime with safety stop?

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish, I am gonna use safety stop to make sure theres no velvet, but I dont want the fish to die from ammonia burn. Does anyone know if I can add prime to the first bath of methylene blue to detoxify the ammonia? Or is this not necessary due to methylene blue treating ammonia burns anyways?
Hes floating right now, kinda urgent
@HotRocks
@Humblefish @4FordFamily

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you are doing is a dip, then there's no need for Prime. You won't get ammonia buildup in the water that fast, so no ammonia burn will come from the process.

Also note that nothing in Safety Stop will help with velvet long-term. CP or copper are the only known things that will treat that. The bath will help with immediate symptoms, however.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you are doing is a dip, then there's no need for Prime. You won't get ammonia buildup in the water that fast, so no ammonia burn will come from the process.

Also note that nothing in Safety Stop will help with velvet. CP or copper are the only known things that will treat that.
It's a 1.5 hour dip. Two parts

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suggest it. I personally never use PRIME with any medication as there are several variable issues that could occur.

Has the fish been drip acclimated, did just arrive?

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suggest it. I personally never use PRIME with any medication as there are several variable issues that could occur.

Has the fish been drip acclimated, did just arrive?
Just arrived, I dont want to drip, it killed my last order

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the "don't suggest it", but I don't know of any studies nor anecdotal evidence of Prime causing issues with the ingredients in Safety Stop. SeaChem has stated (in reference to Formalin) something along the lines of, "in 20 years, we've never seen a problem, but that's not a guarantee". Biospira (or any fast-acting bacteria) - if you have it on hand - would be a better option.

Keeping the water heavily aerated is key, of course - both medications may deplete oxygen levels.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, already good advice.

I just wanted to mention as a safety thing with Prime. It can become toxic if used in conjunction with copper. I believe CP is ok. But, I agree ammonia isn’t an issue but a good treatment plan is.

Pulling for the guy, hope all turns out well.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died.. apparently my fish store kept him in the bag all day, probably 30+ hours knowing that wrasse are bad shippers. I really hate this fish store

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died.. apparently my fish store kept him in the bag all day, probably 30+ hours knowing that wrasse are bad shippers. I really hate this fish store
Sorry for your loss :(

I agree with the other advice about not mixing, no need for prime for a dip moving forward, and safety stop not “curing” velvet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I have found the absolute best method of receiving fish is to match new saltwater to the salinity of the shipping water (typically around 1.017). I'll cut a small slit in one of the bags to get water for my hydrometer to verify the shipping water salinity and then tape it over with scotch tape to prevent air exchange. Then I'll float acclimate for temperature. After around 20 minutes of floating, I'll cut open the bag, dump fish and water into a strainer to get rid of all the shipping water, and put the fish in the new saltwater. I've had great success doing this.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back