Principle Differences Between Silicones

SLUF681

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many questions about whether or not certain silicones are "aquarium safe" or not. I wrote this explanation some time back and thought I'd throw it on our forum for current and future members to easily find. Most people know that GE silicone I is "safe" and that GE silicone II is "not safe". Unfortunately, most people only know that because someone screamed it from the top of a mountain long enough, and loud enough for everyone to believe it. It is simply not true.

GE silicone I is an acid cure, meaning that acetic acid (vinegar) is the curing agent. That is why you smell the vinegar smell. GE silicone II is ammonia cure, meaning that ammonia is the curing agent. Silicone I needs 24 to 48 hours to cure. Silicone II needs 7 days or more. Just make sure you don't buy the Kitchen and Bath in either one, just to be on the safe side. I've used BOTH GE I and II.

I used the black GE silicone II to reseal one of my tanks that I sold. The guy has freshwater discus fish. No harm whatsoever. The ONLY reason to use "Aquarium" silicone is if you completely disassemble the glass panels. "Aquarium" silicone is silicone ADHESIVE and actually has a tensile strength rating. Most silicones available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc are silicone SEALANTS. If you are simply resealing a tank, just use any NON kitchen and bath silicone. If you want to use black, go to home depot and get a tube of GE silicone II. If you want to do clear, simply use GE silicone I.*Once again, GE silicone II is simply an ammonia cure. No evil fairy dust or nuclear waste in it.

I did a great deal of research into what was in different silicones before I re-sealed my first tank or built my first sump. Silicone is inherently mold "resistant". I was never even able to find a "Mold Resistant or Inhibitor" in the MSDS for GE I window/door/attic, GE II window/door/attic, or GE II kitchen/bath. A call to GE netted no answer to the question of what the mold inhibitor ingredient was either.

For the record, I was advised by GE that they DO NOT recommend the use of ANY of their silicone products to be used in aquariums. I called DAP and got the same answer, with the exception of their "Aquarium Sealant". Upon asking what made the "Aquarium Sealant" safe, I got an answer of "I don't know".

I suspect after reading all the horror stories on the forums the problem isn't the silicone, but the impatient aquarist that doesn't allow enough time to cure. All the stories are the same. "I re-sealed a tank I just bought with GE II the day before yesterday. It's a 55 gallon freshwater. Yesterday, I put my gravel in it, filled it up with tap water, put a new HOB filter on it, and put 10 tetras, 3 Jack Dempseys, 5 Oscars, 15 Gouramis, and a 15" Pleco. Today, everything is dead except 1 tetra. What do you think the problem is?" Inevitably someone replies "I bet it was the silicone. You didn't pay enough for it. You have to use the stuff that says aquarium on it."

Last edited:

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right Sluf,I have found a good rule of thumb even the silicone for aquariums is If you can smell vinegar odor its to soon,it must be gone to the human nose and then I still wait a day or two,good information Rodney...

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this........why don't you just use the silicone I receive. I can Oder it at anytime for anyone... I got all ur backs lol..but thank sluf, we still love you..but ya ur right even this stuff needs curing time, and also this stuff has a tensile strength.

OP
OP
SLUF681

SLUF681

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all fine and good for us. Remember, this is a public forum, and others will be able to utilize the information.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this one safe to usefor sump baffles?
teta4a3e.jpg

OP
OP
SLUF681

SLUF681

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have never really looked at it as a possibility. My gut feeling would be that it's OK, but without some serious research I'd be afraid to use it.

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to glue rocks together when I aquascape it so I don't have them shifting around and glue a rock shelf here n there on the back glass that stuff would hold great once cured and its made for glass

OP
OP
SLUF681

SLUF681

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Many/most iundustrial urethanes use organo-tin catalysts (like dibutyl tin dilaurate) to cure/react, many of which are "no-no's" for marine and in vivo human contact."

I copied and pasted the above from another site. Now, whether or not the person knew what they were talking about or just simply stringing words together, I don't know. Seems like enough info to compel me to dig deeper if I were you. It'll give you some info to get you started though.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just found this thread through Google...

Are there any sealants that don't have that Vinegar smell?

If I read the above correctly the GE II is ammonia activated so there is no vinegar smell but I read on another forum that GE II and III are a no no.

Can someone confirm please?

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Further reading confirms that the GE II is not meant to be used under water line and is not certified by FDA for food exposure.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice summary @SLUF681 .

I'd like to throw one more silicone at you....this one bonds acrylic (plastic) to glass, when making a sump in a glass tank using acrylic baffles. It is found at HD, but not with the other caulks in the paint department. You need to go to where they sell acrylic sheet goods....the window department in my HD. This stuff is unbelievable......sticks to acrylic (and glass), like you can't believe. I've found it to be safe in aquarium uses.
Silicone Plastic.jpg

EDIT TO ADD:

I just realized the OP was from 2013....still a nice summary! :cool:

Burgess_Shale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many questions about whether or not certain silicones are "aquarium safe" or not. I wrote this explanation some time back and thought I'd throw it on our forum for current and future members to easily find. Most people know that GE silicone I is "safe" and that GE silicone II is "not safe". Unfortunately, most people only know that because someone screamed it from the top of a mountain long enough, and loud enough for everyone to believe it. It is simply not true.

GE silicone I is an acid cure, meaning that acetic acid (vinegar) is the curing agent. That is why you smell the vinegar smell. GE silicone II is ammonia cure, meaning that ammonia is the curing agent. Silicone I needs 24 to 48 hours to cure. Silicone II needs 7 days or more. Just make sure you don't buy the Kitchen and Bath in either one, just to be on the safe side. I've used BOTH GE I and II.

I used the black GE silicone II to reseal one of my tanks that I sold. The guy has freshwater discus fish. No harm whatsoever. The ONLY reason to use "Aquarium" silicone is if you completely disassemble the glass panels. "Aquarium" silicone is silicone ADHESIVE and actually has a tensile strength rating. Most silicones available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc are silicone SEALANTS. If you are simply resealing a tank, just use any NON kitchen and bath silicone. If you want to use black, go to home depot and get a tube of GE silicone II. If you want to do clear, simply use GE silicone I.*Once again, GE silicone II is simply an ammonia cure. No evil fairy dust or nuclear waste in it.

I did a great deal of research into what was in different silicones before I re-sealed my first tank or built my first sump. Silicone is inherently mold "resistant". I was never even able to find a "Mold Resistant or Inhibitor" in the MSDS for GE I window/door/attic, GE II window/door/attic, or GE II kitchen/bath. A call to GE netted no answer to the question of what the mold inhibitor ingredient was either.

For the record, I was advised by GE that they DO NOT recommend the use of ANY of their silicone products to be used in aquariums. I called DAP and got the same answer, with the exception of their "Aquarium Sealant". Upon asking what made the "Aquarium Sealant" safe, I got an answer of "I don't know".

I suspect after reading all the horror stories on the forums the problem isn't the silicone, but the impatient aquarist that doesn't allow enough time to cure. All the stories are the same. "I re-sealed a tank I just bought with GE II the day before yesterday. It's a 55 gallon freshwater. Yesterday, I put my gravel in it, filled it up with tap water, put a new HOB filter on it, and put 10 tetras, 3 Jack Dempseys, 5 Oscars, 15 Gouramis, and a 15" Pleco. Today, everything is dead except 1 tetra. What do you think the problem is?" Inevitably someone replies "I bet it was the silicone. You didn't pay enough for it. You have to use the stuff that says aquarium on it."
Why not the "kitchen and bath"? What if it says "kitchen and bath@ but also "100% silicone"?

Back