Pro Series Mixed Bed Resin Depletion Rate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pro series mixed bed resin seems to deplete before the Cation and Anion even show any color change, is this normal? I have an upgraded 7 stage system (was a 4 stage water saver plus, then 5, then 6, etc..).

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the Pro series mixed AFTER the cation and anion, right?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. I double checked my plumbing and everything looks good. Just curious if this is the norm? I used to run two mixed beds before I upgraded to the 3 stage DI and the first in line would always go before the second, as it should, but both cation and anion only show minor color changes with the new setup. I figured either the cation or anion would deplete before the other and the mixed would catch what they missed.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not the norm. Your mixed bed should be a final polish as long as your single beds aren't used up. Are you sure the single beds are packed good and your water is channeling through the single beds? Are you using color changing media in your single beds?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, all are color changing pro series resins. Yeah, I pack them pretty tight. I usually tap them on the counter while filling and push down with a cup at the same time until full. I've been filling them myself for years, but I found this odd. The newer canisters are tinted, so I have to shine a flashlight on them to really see what's going on inside.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all are color changing pro series resins. Yeah, I pack them pretty tight. I usually tap them on the counter while filling and push down with a cup at the same time until full. I've been filling them myself for years, but I found this odd. The newer canisters are tinted, so I have to shine a flashlight on them to really see what's going on inside.

Hello,

The key to packing resin is using a beer bottle. It fits like a glove.

If you aren’t able to get 100% of the resin (from the BRS bag) into the canister, you’re not packing it tight enough

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anion stage depletes way faster than either of the other 2 on my setup.

I also flush each stage when I put new resin in before letting it flow into the next stage. I've noticed some crazy tds coming out of fresh resin for the first gallon or so.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't sound normal. With most water supplies, we usually see the second canister (anion resin) deplete much quicker than the other two. The first canister is the next likely to exhaust with the third mixed bed canister lasting for quite some time (assuming the other two were properly maintained). Do you have any TDS readings that you could share? Particularly going into the first canister, out of the second canister, and out of the third canister.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I flush the membranes before and after each time I make a new batch of water. After flushing the incoming water generally starts out at 6 or 7 TDS, but drops to 1 very quickly (this is right after turning the flow valve for flushing). I get 0 TDS on both Line 2 and 3. I've never made water that didn't have a 0 TDS reading, usually the 1st mixed bed resin (when I had a two mixed bed DI stage) would show signs of near depletion, so I would change them out. It could be that I'm not packing it tight enough? I just received a new filter set, so I'll make sure to pack 100% of the resin. I live in Los Angeles, so the water is pretty hard here. I'll install the new filters and resins Friday and report back. Thanks to everyone for their input. Hopefully, it's just user error with packing the resin?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that you're not packing it tight enough, but strange that you're still seeing zero TDS out. I'd start there and also ensure that the DI cartridges aren't installed upside down. That's a more common problem than you'd think with the caps being on the bottom of the cartridge ;) Keep us posted on if the new resin and tighter packing solves the issue.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm making a new batch on Friday, so I'll change the filters and resins then. The cartridges are inserted correctly, but it's nice that there are arrows pointing in the right direction. Thanks everyone, I'll report back after I've made a few batches of water.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I had a chance to flip out the filters and resin tonight and all seemed ok. The Cation resin was used up quite a bit and the Anion just about a 1/3rd used and the mixed bed was near depletion. I think it's really hard to see the color change with the new tinted canisters or I need a bigger, stronger flashlight? So it seems it's working like it should, but just hard for me to see the change happening. I could see a color at the bottom of the Cation and Anion canisters, but not much above the bottom (that well). The mixed bed is a little easier to see because it's a lighter color overall. I'm going to keep a record of how much water I make and when.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back