Pro Star Rimless 200

tico821

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you went all out. Looks really good!
You have room for a 10 gallon tank as an ATO
That is good for just over a week on my tank
The "control cabinet" I made took about half the room on the left side of the sump, I don't really want to cram another aquarium in there. Ive seen other ATOs that are for lack of a better esthetically pleasing. so I might just go with something that will sit outside of the cabinet. With my previous aquarium I actually had my ATO hidden in ottoman. We'll see what I can come up with.

tico821

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the Sicce 6.0 working for you?
Not too much?
The 6.0 is a little oversized for the pluming and I run it just over 50% I love that I can check on the tank from my phone on the app and the fact that it tells me the temp is great. All of my equipment except the skimmer can be controlled off my phone.

tico821

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m talking with The guys from Prostar today at Aquashella .
They are working on some reengineered caps and Gary is bringing me some to try.
I’ll let you know how it works out later.
I would really appreciate that, I wanted to go to aquashella so bad. I live in west palm so the drive isn't bad but Im a nurse and Im scheduled at the hospital this weekend. Seeing all the coverage on instagram is killing me lol. Please keep me posted on what they come up with I would really appreciate it.

tico821

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caps for ?????
The silencer caps that over the return drains seem to not be letting the aquarium surface skim properly. The water surface creates a film and its not being skimmed off properly and they think its the silencer caps that are the root of the problem.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sent a prototype and It’s better but still not perfect
I think they need to play with this some more.
You're right, the water is not cascading into the overflow and thus not pulling from the surface.
Try playing with the flow from your return pump.
I’m going to try that as well and see if by increasing the siphon it will help

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquashella was okay. Just what I expected. A little for everyone. Fresh water, reptiles, supplies, salt water, reefing
Tons of people.
I did my round, the kids got bored, and we left.
Was home by 1:00 PM
HONESTLY, preferred reefapalooza.
It catered to my interest directly. And less crowds to steer through.
Not to mention that everything was more expensive, starting with parking!
I guess the hotel is pricier, the tables are more, and as such you have to make up for your extra layout?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sent a prototype and It’s better but still not perfect
I think they need to play with this some more.
You're right, the water is not cascading into the overflow and thus not pulling from the surface.
Try playing with the flow from your return pump.
I’m going to try that as well and see if by increasing the siphon it will help
Ok. When you say cap you mean the silencers? My V1 didn't come with caps.

I do run a gyre on each end that push the water across the top and run my return flow pretty high. My level is probably 1/2-3/4" for the top. I seem to get pretty good skimming, at least I have never noticed any sheen on the top. But it's offset with some noise.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then it really doesn't apply to you. Be thankful. :) Some of us with the version 2 are having the issue. There are caps over the spiral silencers. and it would seem that the water is coming into the overflow but not with sufficient surface skim. if you don't have the dull layer at the surface them you are fine.

In reference to the noise have you played with the gate valves and your return pump flow? Pick a day with nothing to do and mess around with it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silencer caps that over the return drains seem to not be letting the aquarium surface skim properly. The water surface creates a film and its not being skimmed off properly and they think its the silencer caps that are the root of the problem.

The silencer caps are for sure the problem with the surface skimming. I don't use mine, and my surface stays skimmed. It's really not that loud without them, not any louder than the protein skimmer. And it's in the living room, so the noise doesn't bother anyone.

If the guest room is full and we have someone sleeping on the pull out, then I'll put the caps on during the night and turn the skimmer off. It's pretty quiet like that.

Otherwise, surface skimming > quieter tank. I would rather a different design back there, but I'm not going to do it unless I have too. I'm scared I'll just break something and I'm out a tank.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and I are pretty much in the same boat.
I’ve removed my caps as well.
Aquashella was a zoo and even though I did say hello to the Proclear crew it was hectic and I don’t think they even remembered what we had discussed previously.
nevertheless all is working and Im on another build.
My girls got me an SCA 150 for Father’s Day and I’m full time on that deal.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and I are pretty much in the same boat.
I’ve removed my caps as well.
Aquashella was a zoo and even though I did say hello to the Proclear crew it was hectic and I don’t think they even remembered what we had discussed previously.
nevertheless all is working and Im on another build.
My girls got me an SCA 150 for Father’s Day and I’m full time on that deal.

87BA7244-F284-4BA0-8D1D-C21B0E6CDB9B.jpeg
Fighting the Aiptasia battle.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're referring to drilling holes in the cabinet, I've never done it. Have you considered using the aluminum rails or Velcro? If all else fails I'd do brackets from the top panel. They screw the pipe supports from there.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any pictures on how you plumb it. I know the recommendations are going from the sump to the sump. also which one did you go with, I'm currently looking at the Aqua UV

It's not pretty by any stretch, I'm not one of those guys who have awesome looking setups. Doubt a pic would be of much value.

Not much to it really. I forget what brand I bought, something cheap, probably Jabeo, and put it on the back wall. I got one that would fit between the 2 metal frames. So it had the flat parts that just screwed right in. The pump for it is in the skimmer chamber. I use flexible hose for it, 3/4" I believe. Then the return hose is also flexible and it returns into the refugium chamber, so that it's not filtering the same water over and over. Not pretty, but it works.

The important thing is to make sure your connections going in/out of the pump are facing up, so that it fills up with water. Or if you stand it up, make sure it flows into the bottom so it has to fill up to the top. You don't want the light on without water flowing through it. Other than that, just find an area where it fits, and do your best.

I'll need to replace the light in about 4 months, not looking forward to it.

Back