Probe readings off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I originally set up my Profilux 4 I calibrated the probes per the directions. I recently did a little re-configuring/organizing of electronics and had to unplug the probes from the unit and re-plug them in. Since the, pH and conductivity have not read accurately. Do I need to re-calibrate them? I'm not sure why they would lose their calibration just with an un-plug/re-plug...

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please define not reading accurately.

Did you re-route the cables, possibly along power cables, or higher current/draw DC cables?

I'd try to re-seat the plugs and cables, make sure you have no kinks and tight corners, see if re-routing the cables will effect the readings.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conductivity was reading 34-35 previously, which is accurate when measured against my refractometer, now it reads 30. As for pH it was reading 7.7-7.8 which was accurate and now reads 10.8 or so pretty consistently. It has read nothing below 10 since it was plugged back in.

They may be a bit closer to higher current cables, but I don't think significantly so. However, I would have to really check to see for sure tonight.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitively odd, and not normal. Did you extend the cables?
Something is impacting the readings, check your cable routing, cable fastening, and plug configuration.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cable extension. I will double check the seating of the cables and routing. It's possible they are closer to some other power cords than they were before. Maybe that's making the difference. I just didn't think they should lose calibration just from unplugging/re-plugging them in. The probes themselves were never out of the water or anything.

I'll give it all the once over and see where to go from there. Thanks for the input!

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just didn't think they should lose calibration just from unplugging/re-plugging them in. The probes themselves were never out of the water or anything.

I'll give it all the once over and see where to go from there. Thanks for the input!
You're correct - that doesn't happen. Calibration is stored in the device, not the probe. There is a signal that is being sent to probe, signal changes based on what the probe is reading, and returns changed signal. If there is interference in the physical wire, the signal could be skewed.

In data(network), we don't run data or signal wires parallel to power, we run them perpendicular. less chance of interference, cross talk, signal disturbance.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of is that the probe wires might be closer to the power cord for the controller itself than it was before. Hopefully that is the case and it's an easy fix.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the pH probe was plugged into the wrong port, so that is fixed. I re-seated the conductivity probe but it's still reading low. It's always been a little lower than my refractometer reads, but is just worse now.

Is the conductivity probe just not that reliable?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the pH probe was plugged into the wrong port, so that is fixed. I re-seated the conductivity probe but it's still reading low. It's always been a little lower than my refractometer reads, but is just worse now.

Is the conductivity probe just not that reliable?

That'll do it every time. :p
They are reliable, however they are very susceptible to drifting once they either get dirty, or air bubbles accumulate. I'd try to gently shake the probe to see if it'll change readings. The Conductivity probe really needs to be kept in a high flow, low micro-bubble area.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is currently in a pretty low flow area of the sump. Would it be ok to move them all to a higher flow area?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is currently in a pretty low flow area of the sump. Would it be ok to move them all to a higher flow area?
Yes, more flow, less change for stagnant reading, and less chance for growth on the probes that will drift the readings.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, more flow, less change for stagnant reading, and less chance for growth on the probes that will drift the readings.
Ok. So, this weekend I will try to re-route the power cord for the controller itself away from the probe wires. That's the only power cord near them. And see about moving the entire set of probes to a new location in the sump with more flow. Thanks for the help so far!

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hijack your post, just a question, is it possible to extend a ph prob wire without offsetting the reading?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back