Problem with my MP40 wQD Vibrating (Solved)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez this one was painful. In another post I mentioned that my 4 month old MP40 suddenly seized up and fell off the tank.
I cleaned the pump down with Citric Acid and the pump worked but had a really bad vibration. I pulled down the wetside again and inspected it and found nothing wrong that I could see.

I then found a post on the disassembly of the Wetside unit and realized that the white ceramic shaft is not supposed to be stuck in the prop (sorry but I had the older version MP40s so was unfamiliar with the setup). Mine was actually rotating on the metal shaft. I had to carefully tap out the white ceramic shaft from the prop and then I re-soaked it again and everything was fine for a few days but then a lesser vibration started to happen. In the meantime I had ordered a new wetside and had it sitting down so I decided to pull both of them apart to see the differences.

What I found was that my white ceramic shaft was spinning in both the black ceramic sleeve on the Prop and it could also spin on the metal shaft. On the new head the white shaft was literally glued to the metal shaft so that only the Ceramic parts could spin. I used some plumbers tape and wound two tight layers on the metal shaft and tapped the white ceramic shaft down and it fit in nice and tight. I had also noticed that the new Head had a generous blob of what looks like silicone grease on the back quarter sized disks where the Prop back pushes down onto the base. I figured that the grease could not be all that important because it would never last through a typical cleaning and these things are meant to be cleaned right.

I put the head back together and most of the vibration was now gone but there is still an annoying bit of it left, just enough that you can hear the pump vibrating slightly from 5 feet away. So I pull the wetside out again and put some Silicone Grease on the Disk and wow what a difference, the pump is absolutely silent again.

I have never had this kind of issue with the older MP40s and I have never had to use grease on them. While I do recognize this is a quieter design with more power it is kind of disappointing that only 4 months in I have had a problem like this.
I am tempted to send the wetside back under warranty but I have a lot of time left so I will let it run for some more time and see if any problems come back.

The main point of this post is that if after you clean your Wetside you find that your White Ceramic Shaft is no longer bonded to the metal shaft your going to have issues. The second one is that the grease at the bottom is very important. I am wondering if Ecotech sells the original grease as it does come off after a proper soak in citric acid.

Hope this help someone because the vibrations these pumps can produce when they are not working right is really annoying.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a bit of food safe silicone grease when I reassemble wet sides. Just the thinnest possible layer goes a very long way.
At one point I tried to ask them what they use (so I could be 100% sure I wasn't harming my tank) but couldn’t get a response.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a bit of food safe silicone grease when I reassemble wet sides. Just the thinnest possible layer goes a very long way.
At one point I tried to ask them what they use (so I could be 100% sure I wasn't harming my tank) but couldn’t get a response.
I remember reading a while back that someone was told that cs wouldn't disclose what lube they used. Might have been you. This is the exact stuff that they use in assembly of the wetsides.

I got a life time supply of it from amazon. I "hot swap" my wetsides so they get cleaned and put on a shelf a month at a time. Every time I clean them, I apply a small amount to keep things moving freely

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading a while back that someone was told that cs wouldn't disclose what lube they used. Might have been you. This is the exact stuff that they use in assembly of the wetsides.

I got a life time supply of it from amazon. I "hot swap" my wetsides so they get cleaned and put on a shelf a month at a time. Every time I clean them, I apply a small amount to keep things moving freely

Oh thanks, that was me. Bit odd that it’s advertised to use on valves & sealing, which is a totally different type of motion compared to the spinning shaft of the Vortech. But I’ll try it :)

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kind of annoying that the pump really needs this grease to work properly but they don't offer a supply of it. After an Acid Bath this stuff is gone and they do recommend that you clean the pump in Vinegar so what are the owners supposed to do?

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes and BTW I noticed on Amazon that it says it can be cleaned up using mild Acid.
Why it ETM keeping this a secret if its needed after every cleaning?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and BTW I noticed on Amazon that it says it can be cleaned up using mild Acid.
Why it ETM keeping this a secret if its needed after every cleaning?
haha, there's no secret. I would imagine that the grease is only applied during assembly so that the pump can sit on a shelf. After it gets wet there's no need for lubrication.

I can't attest to your problem, I don't think lack of lube was the factor in which caused your issue. Could simply be a epoxy failure or something completely unrelated.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't attest to your problem, I don't think lack of lube was the factor in which caused your issue. Could simply be a epoxy failure or something completely unrelated.

Nah I disagree. There is a small vibration that I get when the lube is gone versus dead silence when the lube in in place. I already put the Molykote in my Amazon Cart but I am wondering if it will make much difference versus the Honda Silicone Window Grease that I used. I was worried it might harm the tank but I have not noticed anything bad happening so far.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine most silicone greases would do the trick.

Btw, etm sends little packets of these with their tube replacements for the versa.
20200818_114306.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back