Problems with AI Prime on Nano Tank

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 Prime 16HD on a WB Pen 15 and while it works well (using the David Saxby schedule--my corals did not like the BRS schedule at all) I find that the actual placement of corals is problematic. I have montis doing well but I'm not sure I'd use it with an acro. It is marginally strong enough but the light is just far too directional. The single puck just doesn't cut it. Far to many shadow areas. I have another Prime 16HD and I have considered adding it as well but the tank will look pretty ugly with two Primes over a little 15 gallon. I'm actually considering saving up for a Noopsyche light with two pucks.
Or sell the prime and get a new or used 32. I think you get better quality with AI in both build and spectrum. That’s opinion though

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah why not, I would love to try the schedule and see how it works.

Not sure as you said u use 3 AI Primes and I only have 1. Do I have to raise intensity for each color when using that schedule with only 1 AI Prime then?
What’s your e mail? I’ll send it. I have a WB 20 in my son’s room with 1 prime running a different schedule because it’s mostly softy’s and nem’s and it covers nicely.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or sell the prime and get a new or used 32. I think you get better quality with AI in both build and spectrum. That’s opinion though
can confirm 32 is much better - i have g1, 16 and 32. 32 has much more power flowing thru the "PUR" channels with more tightly packed diodes and better difusing lense.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the other option I'm looking at. Just the pricing on the Noopsyche is so attractive...

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the other option I'm looking at. Just the pricing on the Noopsyche is so attractive...
Always a trade off unfortunately. Weather it’s worth it or not is up to you. You can have an awesome tank under almost any light out. The difference is gonna be build quality, life of the diodes and fans, and warranty if you ever need it.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks alot! I will def. try this.
And I will just raise all intensities by a litte with the 2-fingers mode to scale it correctly. What you say?

Btw. why do you pick royal blue over blue?
Personally I hate the blue color. Like windex. Royal is where it’s at for me. I keep blue around for the par and spectrum benefits but I really don’t like too much.
sounds good on increasing, do a percent or two a week. It sucks doing it like that but better be safe than sorry

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I hate the blue color. Like windex. Royal is where it’s at for me. I keep blue around for the par and spectrum benefits but I really don’t like too much.
sounds good on increasing, do a percent or two a week. It sucks doing it like that but better be safe than sorry
well, acclimating shouldnt be a problem.
I did run the AI with almost everything @ 95%. Only green and red @ 5% and white 10%.

So am I in need of acclimating?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to bother again.. how your lunar cycle? Maybe a quick screenshot would help :)

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your e mail? I’ll send it. I have a WB 20 in my son’s room with 1 prime running a different schedule because it’s mostly softy’s and nem’s and it covers nicely.
I’m curious to see your schedule ! Do you mind sending it out to me ?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious to see your schedule ! Do you mind sending it out to me ?
And for some reason I don’t know why I’m sure it doesn’t do much but I’ve been doing it for 20 years is I cover my tank every night with black out curtains. I just put some Velcro with some of those little hangers on there and hang off the rim of my tank. My lights go off at 10:45 and we’re all night owls and the house lights are usually on until one or two in the morning feel like it helps him a little bit

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I might consider a swap to the Hydra but I'm not sure how much better the spread would be on my little tank; it still just has 2 pucks that are quite close together. I assume that it is effectively just 2 Primes in one fixture?

What I think I need is a 'panel' but most of the top brand units seem to have the LEDs packed fairly close together. Something like the Reefbreeders LEDs might be better for me.

Radion XR30 might work (I assume I'd have the same spread issue with the XR15) but it's significantly more expensive than I wanted to spend on a Nano tank :(

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might consider a swap to the Hydra but I'm not sure how much better the spread would be on my little tank; it still just has 2 pucks that are quite close together. I assume that it is effectively just 2 Primes in one fixture?

What I think I need is a 'panel' but most of the top brand units seem to have the LEDs packed fairly close together. Something like the Reefbreeders LEDs might be better for me.

Radion XR30 might work (I assume I'd have the same spread issue with the XR15) but it's significantly more expensive than I wanted to spend on a Nano tank :(
XR 30 total overkill. I wish they were less money because I love how sleek the new Kessel is. That light looks almost invisible on top of tanks. Dang they are proud of them though! Yikes. For that much $& I would get 2 XR15 blues. My friend is rockin some SPS with CC2. I like how that light looks too but it’s another super pricey light. I am not financially cut out to be a reefer who likes gadgets.

Back