ProfiLux set up issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I want is to set up my ProfiLux. I can’t get it done via GHL connect so I’m trying web interface on a MacBook. Following along on the “who needs a PC” video, I get to the part where he says you should see the green light come on which indicates you’re connected to the hotspot or whatever it means. However, I’m able to see the dashboard and values from the ports where the probes go. Then the video stops because my Mac isn’t connected to my WiFi but the hotspot. Should I be connected to my WiFi at this point? I reconnected so I could finish the video. I skipped the PAB connections since I’m on the living room couch. I skipped to the end where we do the GHL connect stuff, went through that process…backup connection, etc but it failed to connect. So back to the point where I didn’t get the green light. Any ideas on what to do?

Who knew you had to be a computer engineer to frikkin set this thing up?!

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured it out. But I had to reconnect my Mac back to home WiFi since I can’t leave it on p4 hotspot. The yellow light goes off but green stays on. Makes sense I guess.

My phone won’t connect via app unless I turn on p4 hotspot on my phone which means I’m disconnected from my home WiFi. Same for the Mac I guess. Does that mean I’m connecting via local connection or WiFi? I wasn’t able to connect to P4 home on the app but rather p4 hotspot. If P4 home is the local connection why won’t it connect?????
So freakin confusing. How will I connect when I’m on the other side of the world.

The videos definitely do not go through every little detail which, for someone like me, is frustrating.

It’s like telling someone who has never seen a car to drive to the store, when they should be told how to start the car in the first place.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you follow these steps - especially the ones that is seen 2.34 into the video (Configuration that both WiFi and hotspot should be active)?

Sincerely Lasse

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your frustration. It took me a whole weekend to get my P4 setup. I ended up having to get my windows computer out of storage and downloaded GHL Control Center (GCC). I had some other issues besides just the network stuff.

P4 cloud is what you would use when you are away from home. See 12:37 into the video that Lasse posted. They enable myGHL and set up a myGHL-device called P4 cloud.

P4 home device is still a local connection and only works when you are connected to your home network. If you power cycle your P4 the router may assign a different IP address to your P4 and that is why you can't connect to it. That happened to me. I would try deleting the existing P4 home in the local devices and add it again.
First check the IP address using the P4 hotspot, see 3:58 - 4:52 in the video Lasse posted.
Next, re-create the P4 home, see 9:38 in the video.

I found the whole process rather confusing at the time and deleted all the local devices and only have the myGHL-devices. So no P4 hotspot or P4 home. P4 cloud is what I use whenever I go on the app, at home or away. I assume if my network ever goes down I can add the P4 hotspot as a local device since Access Point is still enabled in the settings.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That helps some but I followed the instructions on that video too. I don't think my router its assigning different IPs because I am able to connect to the profilux. I just have to manually connect to p4 hotspot on my device before it connects. First of all, is that normal? We usually don't have to do that when connecting to things.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, I was able to get through that video and initially had an issue with the encryption on my wifi. I changed that and it connected. I get a green light, and a yellow light whenever the profilux is connected to a device. But I will ask again, is it normal to go to the wifi networks on my device and physically connect to p4 hotspot in order to connect to the profilux? In doing so, I am taking my device offline and unable to do anything on the net. That doesn't seem normal.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never hooked up to my P4 hotspot. When I am home I use the app with the local devices with not problems. I get inconsistant when away using myGHL to hook up.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can technically have both the hotspot and the unit connected to your home wifi.

But if you connect a device to the hotspot it will disconnect from your home wifi until disconnected.

Make sure you reserve the IP in your router for the P4 or assign a static IP. This is in the event your router reboots the same IP is assigned to the device.

Last like the other person said if your home and your iPhone is connected to the home network create a profile using the internal Ip address it will display a secondary access through my GHL if already paired.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green light is on. Why do I have to physically connect to p4 hotspot in order for my device to connect to the profilux?? Any ideas?

I followed all the instructions in setting up the thing with a static IP

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only able to connect to it via the hotspot means it connected to home wifi but something is not right.

If you set a static IP on the device did you verify it not in use with another device?

Here is my static IP on one of my devices.

To determine what your home wireless network is you can do that from the network settings on your iPhone when connected to the wireless network by pressing the little i next to the wireless name and scrolling down.

Below is one my P4 static Ip address
2E3597F4-C93C-4418-BA66-7F44AA87B114.png

Below is my iPhone Ip address on my home network:
96F64B28-8511-4A78-BF22-DA39BB9870F2.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An example of my confusion is that I don't even know how to go to the web interface and don't remember where I found it. Im on a MAC so I don't have control center downloaded. I want to find that on my Mac so I can get the myGHL ID and try to connect to the cloud on my phone. Although I did that earlier and wasn't able to connect

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only able to connect to it via the hotspot means it connected to home wifi but something is not right.

If you set a static IP on the device did you verify it not in use with another device?

Here is my static IP on one of my devices.

To determine what your home wireless network is you can do that from the network settings on your iPhone when connected to the wireless network by pressing the little i next to the wireless name and scrolling down.

2E3597F4-C93C-4418-BA66-7F44AA87B114.png 96F64B28-8511-4A78-BF22-DA39BB9870F2.jpeg
I can't even get to that point because I don't remember how to find the web interface site

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you on the hotspot?

The Ip you will go to in your web browser is 192.169.4.1 which is the local Ip address on the hotspot for the p4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m headed out to work but I thought it was 192.168.4.1 and not 169

Also help me answer your question if I’m on the hotspot. Do you mean on my phone? The ProfiLux? If I select p4 hotspot on my phone only then I’m able to see the yellow light on the profilux. Regardless, the green light is on on the profilux

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m headed out to work but I thought it was 192.168.4.1 and not 169

Also help me answer your question if I’m on the hotspot. Do you mean on my phone? The ProfiLux? If I select p4 hotspot on my phone only then I’m able to see the yellow light on the profilux. Regardless, the green light is on on the profilux
192.168.4.1 is the default IP address of the ProfiLux for hotspot mode, Ditoo have accidentally made a typo.

I’m finding myself researching apex and hydros. It’s a shame because I want the GHL.
I'm sorry you are having problems with GHL products.

You can open a support ticket here (Guest Login):
A technician from the support team will help you personally.

Gaël

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
192.168.4.1 is the default IP address of the ProfiLux for hotspot mode, Ditoo have accidentally made a typo.

I'm sorry you are having problems with GHL products.

You can open a support ticket here (Guest Login):
A technician from the support team will help you personally.

Gaël
Thanks. Are they US based? If not, the time difference might make things difficult.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back