Programming filter roller to roll on fixed interval

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking to have my apex power on and roll my Klir di-4 one time per day for 10 seconds. I am keeping the sensor submerged to allow the motor to start. Below is what I thought would work, but it continues to roll after 10 seconds have passed. Any ideas?

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 16:30 to 16:31 Then ON
Defer 001:49 Then ON

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your programming is correct and should work. Is the output slider set to AUTO?

Another way to accomplish it is with the OSC command:

Fallback OFF
OSC 990:00/000:10/449:50 Then ON

This will cause it to run for 10 seconds each day at exactly 16:30. If you're not familiar with OSC, see my tutorial on Apex Timers:

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your programming is correct and should work. Is the output slider set to AUTO?

Another way to accomplish it is with the OSC command:

Fallback OFF

This will cause it to run for 10 seconds each day at exactly 16:30. If you're not familiar with OSC, see my tutorial on Apex Timers:
It is set to auto, I can’t figure out why it won’t shut off power past the 10 second defer time.
I did stumble upon your command searching, however I would want it once every 24hrs still, and it’s too many minutes to fit in an OSC command.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is set to auto, I can’t figure out why it won’t shut off power past the 10 second defer time.
I did stumble upon your command searching, however I would want it once every 24hrs still, and it’s too many minutes to fit in an OSC command.

The OSC command listed above would run it once every 24 hours.

The 990:00 causes an initial delay of 990 minutes, or 16.5 hours, So starting at midnight that would delay it until 4:30PM. The 000:10 causes it to turn on for 10 seconds, then the 449:50 causes an additional 7 hour, 29 Minute, and 50 second delay. So 990 minutes, plus 10 seconds, plus 449 minutes and 50 seconds = 24 hours.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the OSC I provided to you will work fine. Each of the three numbers in the OSC have a maximum limit of 999 minutes:

990:00 = turn OFF the output for 16:30 hours starting at midnight
000:10 = turn ON the output for 10 seconds
449:50 = turn OFF the output for 7:29:50 hours until midnight, then repeat the cycle

The three timers add up to exactly 24 hours.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’m looking to have my apex controlled my klir, will will connecting it to my apex via 24 v on my FFM along with an apex optical sensor to activate the unit...

I want the unit to turn on when the sensor is closed and turn off when the sensor is open.... I would also like some fail safes also like to turn off if the roller runs for more then 15 seconds.... and for it to go on twice a week for 10 seconds Incase the water dosent close the optical sensor.

hopefully someone could share one thx for any help...

I did see the one on page 7 but it confused the crap out of me lol..

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’m looking to have my apex controlled my klir, will will connecting it to my apex via 24 v on my FFM along with an apex optical sensor to activate the unit...

I want the unit to turn on when the sensor is closed and turn off when the sensor is open.... I would also like some fail safes also like to turn off if the roller runs for more then 15 seconds.... and for it to go on twice a week for 10 seconds Incase the water dosent close the optical sensor.

hopefully someone could share one thx for any help...

I did see the one on page 7 but it confused the crap out of me lol..
Couple of thoughts. Keep in mind the Klir runs a 12V motor so you’ll need to step down the voltage. Also, I think the Klir controller stops running after a set amount of time (sorry I don’t remember how long it will run before alarming).

mightynova63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on a motor mod for a upgrade. The mount will let you mount a worm geared motor off amazon with many options on RPM, and voltage.

Attachments

• kri-4 motor mount.jpg
    kri-4 motor mount.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 29

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read above some of you are using a timer on your Apex to control your Klir filter. How is it working for you ?

I just set up a Klir on a frag system and I'm using an optical sensor to trigger the Klir. Thie issue is that it takes a while for the level in the sock tray to drop and I'm burning through filter material because of it, and, my skimmer goes crazy and overflows every time the Klir rolls.

I think I can fix both of those problems by using a timer to have the Klir run once or twice a day for a few seconds thus exposing less new filter material each time it runs. That would make the roll last longer and hopefully stop my skimmer from going crazy as well... Though the skimmer issue is easily solved with a Defer...

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read above some of you are using a timer on your Apex to control your Klir filter. How is it working for you ?

I just set up a Klir on a frag system and I'm using an optical sensor to trigger the Klir. Thie issue is that it takes a while for the level in the sock tray to drop and I'm burning through filter material because of it, and, my skimmer goes crazy and overflows every time the Klir rolls.

I think I can fix both of those problems by using a timer to have the Klir run once or twice a day for a few seconds thus exposing less new filter material each time it runs. That would make the roll last longer and hopefully stop my skimmer from going crazy as well... Though the skimmer issue is easily solved with a Defer...
In my case it worked great and i also incorporated a float switch. I currently took it offline for awhile to try and raise nutrients. It does take some trial and error to dial in though!

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case it worked great and i also incorporated a float switch. I currently took it offline for awhile to try and raise nutrients. It does take some trial and error to dial in though!
Thank you. I'm going to change up the programming tonight. I plan to use the optical sensor as a safety as well in the case for some reason it doesn't roll when it should and clogs. Can't see why that will happen, but you never know...

I know I bash on my Apex a bit, but it's not because I don't like it. It's simply the quality of the build/componets and the fact it's so hard to use because of the old dated method of programming. Obviously I like because I haven't sold it, using it on my frag tank now.

So, as a simple comparison in ease of use between Hydros and Apex. I switched to Hydros on my display and installed a Klir filter on that as well. It literally took me 10 minutes to set up the Klir on my Hydros. Other than a one-time adjustment on how long the Klir runs when it's triggered by the Hydros, it's been running perfectly since the day I installed it. It's been a week and I'm still working on getting the Klir running well on the Apex.
Add to that there are some alarm features that I can't even be done, at least without doubling some virtual outlets and jumping through some convoluted programming hoops.

I really like my Apex and would love to have just stayed with it on my display. But it's soooo outdated and difficult to use it's frustrating. Hopefully, with BRS buying them out and providing funds, they can focus Neptune on working on their core business and bring the Apex up to speed in terms of being more user-friendly.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could you still trigger the Klir motor when the optical sensor is closed and the run it for 5 seconds. Then use a defer so it won’t reactivate for an hour?

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you still trigger the Klir motor when the optical sensor is closed and the run it for 5 seconds. Then use a defer so it won’t reactivate for an hour?
Ya, that’s workable. I’m just looking for the solution that takes the least amount of code. The challenge with Apex is one simple line in the wrong sequence and your left troubleshooting for potentially hours.
I think, thanks to John Halsey’s work I’m going to use OSC and turn it a few seconds every 12 hours.
That way I can simply adjust the rotation and wait times if I need to.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back