Proper dosing of Coppersafe

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like CHEMetrics because I feel it's accurate. What I don't like about the high range is that instead of having the comparator in tenths like the low range it's in whole numbers. This leaves a lot more guess work. Guessing between 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 is tricky.

With cupramine, I could use the low range in tenths. A lot easier. Either way, the test still shows around 2 ppm or more.
You could do a 1/10 dilution or so.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0310.JPG
I am using the Mardel coppersafe and the API kit and I couldn't be more confused. First the syringe I got from the pharmacy measured at 5ml that I have been using to dose the coppersafe fills the test vial supplied by API over the their line. I have been dosing 2-1/2 ML per day to bring the total copper up to 1.5 to 2.0 in my 10 gallon QT tank. I have done this for 4 days so I should have 10ml of the 12.5ml I need already dosed. I chose to use the API test level on the vial and not the 5ml on the syringe so that I could duplicate the API guidelines. The attached picture is what I am testing after the 4th dose and 10ml of coppersafe. I can't tell at all. This test is absolutely horrible. I know this is a picture but can anyone confirm that I am at the therapeutic level? It seems I am but I am 2.5ml of coopersafe short but I do not want to overdose obviously. So far the fish have been acting fine (whitetail bristletooth tang and dwarf flame angel) and both are eating.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0310.JPG
I am using the Mardel coppersafe and the API kit and I couldn't be more confused. First the syringe I got from the pharmacy measured at 5ml that I have been using to dose the coppersafe fills the test vial supplied by API over the their line. I have been dosing 2-1/2 ML per day to bring the total copper up to 1.5 to 2.0 in my 10 gallon QT tank. I have done this for 4 days so I should have 10ml of the 12.5ml I need already dosed. I chose to use the API test level on the vial and not the 5ml on the syringe so that I could duplicate the API guidelines. The attached picture is what I am testing after the 4th dose and 10ml of coppersafe. I can't tell at all. This test is absolutely horrible. I know this is a picture but can anyone confirm that I am at the therapeutic level? It seems I am but I am 2.5ml of coopersafe short but I do not want to overdose obviously. So far the fish have been acting fine (whitetail bristletooth tang and dwarf flame angel) and both are eating.
I feel like you are close, but I think I would go ahead and add that last 2.5ml.
@melypr1985 is probably the best I know of at reading these kits so maybe she can add more.

This was my syringe with exactly 5ml put into the API test vial.
Unless you made sure you didn't have water in the tip of the syringe I would go with the vial line. In a more accurate syringe, the 1ml mark line should be shortened to account for the extra volume of the tip. On this one, it clearly is not.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed the last 2-1/2 ml about 2 hours ago and this was the test I took a few mins ago.
I can't totally be sure but I think I'm close or at least what appears to be in therapeutic range. IMG_0317.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say your at therapeutic but try to raise it a bit more to hit that 2ppm mark. That allows for some wiggle room

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the same... using the API test kit to confirm I'm at 2ppm of CopperSafe in a 10g QT. This test is terrible to attempt to determine over 1ppm copper. Mathematically, I have to be at 2ppm, but it looks like 2-4ppm to my eye on the color chart. There's gotta be something better!

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ouch... that is pricey! I think I will just have to trust my mathematics and hope for the best, lol. The API is easy to decipher the color differences up to 1ppm on their color card. The problem comes after that...i don't believe their 2ppm is accurate to the color they depict on their card! I think it is so difficult due to the height of the test tube and the minimum surface area of fluid at the top. There are so many reflections no matter where the light source is coming from. Less volume and more surface area would be easier... kind of like the salifert nitrate and nitrite tests.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch... that is pricey! I think I will just have to trust my mathematics and hope for the best, lol. The API is easy to decipher the color differences up to 1ppm on their color card. The problem comes after that...i don't believe their 2ppm is accurate to the color they depict on their card! I think it is so difficult due to the height of the test tube and the minimum surface area of fluid at the top. There are so many reflections no matter where the light source is coming from. Less volume and more surface area would be easier... kind of like the salifert nitrate and nitrite tests.

I've never had a problem reading the API, but it could be I'm just so used to it. I find it helps to take it outside and view under natural (but indirect) sunlight.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem reading the API, but it could be I'm just so used to it. I find it helps to take it outside and view under natural (but indirect) sunlight.

Maybe I can try in sunlight tomorrow... I've been testing in the evenings, lol.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the API test looks like a different color shade completely than what is on the card. I feel like I am trying to compare something tan with something orange. Every time I QT a fish I mix up 1 gallon to what mathematically works out to 2ppm, test it, and use that as my new reference just so I remember what it was supposed to look like.

One nice thing about never losing fish is that I almost never have a QT system up and running. Oddly enough, I do right now though.

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So I have a 20 long. About to dose anthias and wrasses with coppersafe.

What dosing should I follow?

The 16 gallon measurement
Or the 20 gallon ? And at what rate should I dose the copper. Thinking of taking 7-10 days to get to 2.0.

Last time I did copper I did it over 3 days and lost all the wrasses

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So I have a 20 long. About to dose anthias and wrasses with coppersafe.

Or the 20 gallon ? And at what rate should I dose the copper. Thinking of taking 7-10 days to get to 2.0.

Dosing Coppersafe at 1.63mL/gal will achieve 1.5 ppm, 1.9mL/gal = 1.75 ppm, and 2.17mL/gal = 2.0 ppm.

I would just make life easy on yourself and dose 2mL/gal, which will land you somewhere between 1.75-2.0 ppm (therapeutic range).

5mL = 1 teaspoon; so your 20 gal QT will require 8 teaspoons total (2x20=40/5=8)

So, I would start dosing 1 teaspoon per day, but come Day 5-6 you'll want to begin testing because your QT probably isn't holding exactly 20 gallons. ;)

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using this product right now, I seem to have the dosage under control but my ammonia is uncontrollable. Can I dose microbacteria7 with coppersafe. My water changes are not even changing anything. Tanks are at .75-1, for days now. Doesn't seem to matter 25%, 55% or 0% water changes.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have water at the bottom of the top trim line with nothing in the tank to displace, it is 16 gallons on the dot. I run with an aquaclear hanging off the side, so it's a bit more than that.
20L_volume.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back