Proper dosing of Coppersafe

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using this product right now, I seem to have the dosage under control but my ammonia is uncontrollable. Can I dose microbacteria7 with coppersafe. My water changes are not even changing anything. Tanks are at .75-1, for days now. Doesn't seem to matter 25%, 55% or 0% water changes.
How are you testing amonia? You have the Seachem badge? If I’m not mistaken regular ammonia tests won’t work in water treated with Coppersafe

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to find one in my area. I did hear that the test kits do not work. However the tanks were reading 0 , one of them was 0 for the first 14 days and now over the last 3 it has slowly risen , as if the test kit was working as it should. The level of copper is 1.70-2.11 .
The other tank has been high almost the while time. , set up now at 1.77 but slowly started climbing in ammonia since day 2 when the copper was at .61. It has only been up for 5 days and is now at 1 for the last 2.5 days. The fish seem fine, so hopefully it is just the test kit. I probably won't find or be able to get the badge for several days.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to find one in my area. I did hear that the test kits do not work. However the tanks were reading 0 , one of them was 0 for the first 14 days and now over the last 3 it has slowly risen , as if the test kit was working as it should. The level of copper is 1.70-2.11 .
The other tank has been high almost the while time. , set up now at 1.77 but slowly started climbing in ammonia since day 2 when the copper was at .61. It has only been up for 5 days and is now at 1 for the last 2.5 days. The fish seem fine, so hopefully it is just the test kit. I probably won't find or be able to get the badge for several days.
How are you getting your copper levels? The ATI test kit is terrible and does not give anything close to results like that. Therapeutic is 1.5 to 2.0 so I’m guessing you are between the two? How many fish do you have in what size aquarium?

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs are in a 40. Three smaller tangs. I agree those are a crap shoot. I am an artist and know my colors, and those color charts are a joke! I am keeping the dose around 1.70-1.80 with the tangs. For now, since they are just getting used to it. the maroon is a little over 2.
What about the micro bacteria7 ? Any thoughts on using it with the copper it says it is aerobic and anaerobic

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USMC 4 life, i have heard this and I sure hope you are right as this has been a great source of stess for me !
I will be making some more calls tomorrow and hopefully can find a store that stocks this badge.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ had the same issues when QTing my fish. I️ constantly got ammonia readings from my test kits. I️ was then informed that false positive ammonia readings occur when dosing copper in the QT.

There are many threads about this if you want further verification. Just search around on this forum.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USMC 4 life, i have heard this and I sure hope you are right as this has been a great source of stess for me !
I will be making some more calls tomorrow and hopefully can find a store that stocks this badge.
He is absolutely correct. You cannot use a hobby level ammonia test kit in a system with copper. The Alert badge is the way to go!

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a hippo and midas blenny in QT, went through a dose of prazipro, but didn't eat for about 10 days. Just ordered some Coppersafe from Amazon, be here tomorrow, along with API test kit.

Questions:

I have them in a 40 breeder, with the water just above the bottom of the black trim with an aquaclear 70 HOB filter. Do I take the sponge and media out for the AC70?

Also, if I'm understanding correctly, 2ml/gallon will get me near the high end of the therapeutic. Since I don't have 40 gallons in this tank, maybe it's 38 if the filter water is included. My plan is to add 15ml Coppersafe per day, and after the 3rd dose, start testing. If my calculation is right, the 45ml of copper safe in my 40 breeder at 38gallons would be in the 1.0-1.2 range.

Is that the right approach? Add 15 ml per day (3 tsp) and start testing after the 4th dose?

I'm seeing some white near the dorsal fin of the hippo, so figured let's treat proactively now that he's eating. Also, will this have a negative effect the Midas Blenny or should I move the Midas blenny to his own 10g tank?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I take the sponge and media out for the AC70?

The biofilter (sponge) stays, but any chemical filtration (e.g. carbon) must be removed prior to dosing meds.

Also, if I'm understanding correctly, 2ml/gallon will get me near the high end of the therapeutic. Since I don't have 40 gallons in this tank, maybe it's 38 if the filter water is included. My plan is to add 15ml Coppersafe per day, and after the 3rd dose, start testing. If my calculation is right, the 45ml of copper safe in my 40 breeder at 38gallons would be in the 1.0-1.2 range.

Is that the right approach? Add 15 ml per day (3 tsp) and start testing after the 4th dose?
This seems like a reasonable approach; however if you suspect velvet get it up to therapeutic ASAP.

I'm seeing some white near the dorsal fin of the hippo, so figured let's treat proactively now that he's eating. Also, will this have a negative effect the Midas Blenny or should I move the Midas blenny to his own 10g tank?

Can you post a pic? Most diseases are waterborne transmissible, so if you suspect that the Hippo has a parasite then the blenny is along for the ride even if he is not showing symptoms.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biofilter (sponge) stays, but any chemical filtration (e.g. carbon) must be removed prior to dosing meds.

This seems like a reasonable approach; however if you suspect velvet get it up to therapeutic ASAP.

Can you post a pic? Most diseases are waterborne transmissible, so if you suspect that the Hippo has a parasite then the blenny is along for the ride even if he is not showing symptoms.

Ok. I wasn't sure if the coppersafe would adversely affect the blenny.

I will try to snap a pic, he/she doesn't really listen when I tell it to stand still. How quickly can I increase the levels? Would it be harmful to do it within 48 hours?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly can I increase the levels? Would it be harmful to do it within 48 hours?

I only advise raising it that quickly if we can confirm velvet via photos.

It could just be ich or Lympho you are seeing on the Hippo's fin.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. so I'll stick with my plan to raise it over the course of 3-4 days. I'll add it tomorrow when I get it (15 ml, which is roughly 25% of what I will need). I also have an API copper test coming. Figure that'll suffice to get me in the ball park for where I want to be.

Once I get up to 1.75, it's 30 days in that tank. In regards to topping off...will I need to add copper to the topoff water? I am assuming the medication evaporates with the water.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it’s crypto:

Best pictures I can muster. Am not a photographer. He was just rubbing himself against the back wall.

7e89f0f52450f501b67156b13f96b722.jpg

177e6350dff1ffd41e09e402c5a9a927.jpg

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would normally take it out and go through T but given the size (4” or so), think the 10 gallon tanks would cause even more stress.

So will just treat this 40 breeder with coppersafe

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 50ml of copper safe this is my test. I think tomorrow will dose 15ml. Don’t think I am at 2.0, probably in the 1.3-1.5 range.

Think if I dose another 25ml will be over 2

Do you agree @Humblefish?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it’s crypto:

Best pictures I can muster. Am not a photographer. He was just rubbing himself against the back wall.

7e89f0f52450f501b67156b13f96b722.jpg

177e6350dff1ffd41e09e402c5a9a927.jpg
I hate to say it, but I feel like I am seeing clustered white spots, not the longer ovals associated with Crypto. I feel like this poor guy has Velvet. @4FordFamily , are you still on to offer an opinion?

Not that it matters much, you have him in a QT with copper, so you are on the right track for treatment for either.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but I feel like I am seeing clustered white spots, not the longer ovals associated with Crypto. I feel like this poor guy has Velvet. @4FordFamily , are you still on to offer an opinion?

Not that it matters much, you have him in a QT with copper, so you are on the right track for treatment for either.
It’s very difficult to tell as the photos are blurry but on the back of the fish up top definitely looks like velvet. It would be curious to me if that were the only place where the clusters are, however.

But I am pretty comfortable saying that’s velvet and agree you should stay the course with copper. If they’re still there after a few days in therapeutic level copper, there’s a chance it is brook or something else.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were a bunch of white clusters back near his tail. I should be to full therapeutic level tomorrow.

Yesterday he was scratching himself on the rock I use to anchor nori to. The white spots have disappeared significantly. He is much more active today and eating the mysis that I put in.

I apologize for the pics. Am not a photographer, and he doesn’t really sit still long enough

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back