Proper Night Lighting

subie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this thread. May be a silly question but I was just curious if it’s fine to leave the blue light on in my saltwater tank for my clownfish at the darkest setting when going to bed. Or should I turn it off completely?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is your goal to create an analog of moonlight, then it’s likely that even at its lowest setting, your main fixture will still be too bright.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moon light simulation should be programed accordingly, as to imitate the real moon cycle in a 30 day period. Otherwise it will be just like an ambient light on during the night. Moon light has been used to provoke fish/coral/clam spawning. I use a moon simulator in my system, but I though the OP was referring to his regular blue LED light, not moon simulation.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moon light simulation should be programed accordingly, as to imitate the real moon cycle in a 30 day period. Otherwise it will be just like an ambient light on during the night. Moon light has been used to provoke fish/coral/clam spawning. I use a moon simulator in my system, but I though the OP was referring to his regular blue LED light, not moon simulation.
True, I'm not expecting to emulate actual moonlight cycles. Just don't have that spending appetite. My only point is that at 1% blue channel they are dim enough to be 'nighttime' for the critters.

Back