Proper PAR levles for coral growth

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2019
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
21,167
Location
Greenville, SC
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just watched a presentation by @Randy Holmes-Farley at the 2016 MACNA. I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the information that was presented. What my question is, does water depth have an impact on photosynthesis?

If I was wanting optimal growth from coral and so much worried about coloration, would 110 PAR. I know the Porites coral was in a tide pool in about 5" of water. I am sure that it would hard to monitor corals at deeper depths, but have any studies been done concerning the rate of photosynthesis at different water depths?

Screenshot_20200107-162913_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20200107-162939_YouTube.jpg
 
Looks more like Dana Riddle's area of expertise.




Might want to post in R2R's lighting forum (headed by Dana Riddle)...

I thought I did. I just saw his name and got excited lol. #MODS can you move this thread for me please?
 
I recently just watched a presentation by @Randy Holmes-Farley at the 2016 MACNA. I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the information that was presented. What my question is, does water depth have an impact on photosynthesis?

If I was wanting optimal growth from coral and so much worried about coloration, would 110 PAR. I know the Porites coral was in a tide pool in about 5" of water. I am sure that it would hard to monitor corals at deeper depths, but have any studies been done concerning the rate of photosynthesis at different water depths?

Screenshot_20200107-162913_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20200107-162939_YouTube.jpg

1. What my question is, does water depth have an impact on photosynthesis?

Absolutely. Some photosynthetic corals have adaptations to use quite low light levels effectively, but many don't and require relatively higher light intensity levels to color up and do well. Really depends on the species/type.

Measuring rates of photosynthesis in the wild is a tall order. Typically, this is done in a lab type setting where light intensity and spectrum can be simulated to mimic various ocean reef depth levels.

This article came to mind where a number of different stony coral species are used to test various PAR levels (40-60, 125-150 and 275-325 μmol m-2 s-1 over a 69-day interval) using both LED and LEP:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/aafeature
 
Last edited:
1. What my question is, does water depth have an impact on photosynthesis?

Absolutely. Some photosynthetic corals have adaptations to use quite low light levels effectively, but many don't and require relatively higher light intensity levels to color up and do well. Really depends on the species/type.

Measuring rates of photosynthesis in the wild is a tall order. Typically, this is done in a lab type setting where light intensity and spectrum can be simulated to mimic various ocean reef depth levels.

This article came to mind where a number of different stony coral species are used to test various PAR levels (40-60, 125-150 and 275-325 μmol m-2 s-1 over a 69-day interval) using both LED and LEP:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/aafeature
Thank you. I will give the article a good read through.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new