Proper PAR levles for coral growth

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just watched a presentation by @Randy Holmes-Farley at the 2016 MACNA. I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the information that was presented. What my question is, does water depth have an impact on photosynthesis?

If I was wanting optimal growth from coral and so much worried about coloration, would 110 PAR. I know the Porites coral was in a tide pool in about 5" of water. I am sure that it would hard to monitor corals at deeper depths, but have any studies been done concerning the rate of photosynthesis at different water depths?

Screenshot_20200107-162913_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20200107-162939_YouTube.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just watched a presentation by @Randy Holmes-Farley at the 2016 MACNA. I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the information that was presented. What my question is, does water depth have an impact on photosynthesis?

If I was wanting optimal growth from coral and so much worried about coloration, would 110 PAR. I know the Porites coral was in a tide pool in about 5" of water. I am sure that it would hard to monitor corals at deeper depths, but have any studies been done concerning the rate of photosynthesis at different water depths?

Screenshot_20200107-162913_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20200107-162939_YouTube.jpg

1. What my question is, does water depth have an impact on photosynthesis?

Absolutely. Some photosynthetic corals have adaptations to use quite low light levels effectively, but many don't and require relatively higher light intensity levels to color up and do well. Really depends on the species/type.

Measuring rates of photosynthesis in the wild is a tall order. Typically, this is done in a lab type setting where light intensity and spectrum can be simulated to mimic various ocean reef depth levels.

This article came to mind where a number of different stony coral species are used to test various PAR levels (40-60, 125-150 and 275-325 μmol m-2 s-1 over a 69-day interval) using both LED and LEP:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/aafeature

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Aquatic Arsenal

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What my question is, does water depth have an impact on photosynthesis?

Absolutely. Some photosynthetic corals have adaptations to use quite low light levels effectively, but many don't and require relatively higher light intensity levels to color up and do well. Really depends on the species/type.

Measuring rates of photosynthesis in the wild is a tall order. Typically, this is done in a lab type setting where light intensity and spectrum can be simulated to mimic various ocean reef depth levels.

This article came to mind where a number of different stony coral species are used to test various PAR levels (40-60, 125-150 and 275-325 μmol m-2 s-1 over a 69-day interval) using both LED and LEP:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/aafeature
Thank you. I will give the article a good read through.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back