Proposed Legislation banning the import of corals, fish etc ...

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pop up every few years and always get turned down, it seems. Hopefully this one isn't the winner!

OP
OP
alberthiel

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pop up every few years and always get turned down, it seems. Hopefully this one isn't the winner!
Yes we better hope so as that Black list is no nebulous anything would fit in there that is not US native even a snail ! Let's hope it gets shot down or at least watered down a lot. As far as I know from talking to Jack Kent (Continuum) at the CoralCon conference he stated that 67 types of corals are considered part of that Black list when they start defining what is on the Black list ... I guess we will have to wait and see.

PIJAC (Pet Industry Joint Action Committee) is involved in trying to fight the proposed law and a lot of fish / coral / product manufacturers for aquariums are starting to join in apparently.

More will be revealed as they say.

OP
OP
alberthiel

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes they do but this one seems to have more support than when it previously came out ... and as hobbyists there is really not much we can do .. except get hold of our Senators and Congressmen but I don't think we are at that stage yet ... although it certainly cannot hurt.

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pet industry is a multi billion dollar business. When we get down to the nitty gritty there are very few species of anything pet related that do not come from overseas at one point in time. That was billion with a B!

OP
OP
alberthiel

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pet industry is a multi billion dollar business. When we get down to the nitty gritty there are very few species of anything pet related that do not come from overseas at one point in time. That was billion with a B!
Yes I do realize that the hobby is a very large industry but that is not the point here ... who is representing the aquarium industry ? PIJAC ? Probably but they are far more interested in dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, etc .. etc ... and based on a conversation I had at CoralCon2013 it seems that the Aquarium Hobby is not too well represented.

Also if you have read the legislation the scary part is the Black List which includes just about everything that is non-native ... and what is scary about that is that if you have a Coral that came from say Indo, it will be on that Black list and you will not be able to sell it, trade it, sell frags if you can frag it .. .etc ... and of course no importing either, but even those that are already in this country appear to be included in that Black List as well ... and that is not just about corals, fish are included as well ... so what about aqua-cultured Clowns, Banggai cardinals, and for that matter any fish that is non-native but is captive bred ... according to that legislation all those would fall under that ban as well.

And so we can go on .. Mexican Snails ... Caribbean whatever's you may have or that may be in the country that are now banned from being sold ...

This is so all encompassing that it is worrisome ... and I have not seen any reactions to it yet ... so who is protecting our Hobby? That is the 64K question .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back