Pros and Cons to UV Filters

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I know very little on UV Filters and was recommended to using one to help combat my cyano problem. I'm not too sure what they do other than it killing algae/bacteria that passes through it.

Are there pros and cons to them?

Will I have to feed more to keep nutrient up or anything like that?

I'd love to hear from people who have used them or uses them regularly.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I know very little on UV Filters and was recommended to using one to help combat my cyano problem. I'm not too sure what they do other than it killing algae/bacteria that passes through it.

They have proven to be effective against cyano and other bacteria-based algaes. Also helpful in killing or reducing things like ich. Amount of flow is important here. If memory serves, algae is a stronger flow, ich slower flow. Counter argument is that it also kills good bacteria as well so benefits are questionable.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot's of threads on this topic if you search.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I very first set up my tank it turned this ugly yellow color, looked like someone was peeing in it for a week it was so bad I couldn’t even see my rock scape and didn’t even see any of my seahorses, had no idea if they were dead or alive 26 of em at the time, my buddy who had a ton of experience was trying to help me out. Tried bunch of things like big WC then we tried a diatom filter, that cleared it up a little bit but as soon as I turned it off within couple hours looked bad again, I was so worried that my ponies were dead or dying and I was gonna throw in the towel and start all over, but he asked me to try one more thing and suggested that I get a UV light sized to tank. It wasn’t to expensive only 80-90 dollars
Well it worked amazing and started clearing up in 2 hours, by dinner it was I’d saw 20-25% better already. It started looking even better when I went to bed,, next day I wake up and go check on it and it was
100% clear and ALL my ponies were alright (was so happy n shocked) and I have only turned it off once for 1hr so I could clean it and it’s been on 24-7 ever since and my tank is crystal clear n looking good
It’s now 8 months old and still looks good
At least I think it does

E023C432-23B3-4DCC-8261-C7E152BE6DB6.jpeg

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran them on and off for years. I run them simply to make the water appear more clear and less yellow.
I never notice how un-clear it is until I hook up uv. But in 48 hours the tank always looks much better.
I have no idea what happens that makes it more clear, kinda like when I run carbon seems to polish the water. But I’m and idiot so take with grain of reef salt.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read about them killing beneficial bacteria as well. I guess my question becomes at what point is it safe to add one to tank so that it is mature enough that it won't affect the actual bio-film.

I had a horrible bacterial bloom during my tank cycle, couldn't get the water to clear up no matter how many water changes I did. Added a UV and the tank was clear in a day or two. So I've been running one on mine since start up and everything has gone well for 5 years so far. Got to remember to change the bulb every year or it will lose it's effectiveness. Also make sure you get the right size pump for your UV unit. If the water is going through the UV light too fast it won't kill the bad stuff.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros- ich mgmt, kill certain dinos or other bacteria/algae in the water column
Cons- uses more electricity, another thing to possibly break down or corrode in your water

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people seem to agree most all of your beneficial bacteria tend to stay on surfaces, and not in the water column. The UV will do a good job of killing things in the water column, but won't do anything for things that stay on surfaces.
Awesome, this what I was needing to know!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back