Protein Skimmer Air Intake - question

TokioSuperGrip

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2024
Messages
141
Reaction score
63
Location
usa
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Can someone help answer a question for me..

I have a new protein skimmer, Sicce Shark 150 for my AIO. I have the skimmer slightly above the “water level” line , which is the lowest it can go.

I’m having a little foam that will occasionally flow over into the container. Most of the time it’s bubbling but not flowing over.

What will adjusting the air intake do? There is a rubber tube with an adjustment at the end of it. Do I want more flow, less flow?
 
Hello,

Can someone help answer a question for me..

I have a new protein skimmer, Sicce Shark 150 for my AIO. I have the skimmer slightly above the “water level” line , which is the lowest it can go.

I’m having a little foam that will occasionally flow over into the container. Most of the time it’s bubbling but not flowing over.

What will adjusting the air intake do? There is a rubber tube with an adjustment at the end of it. Do I want more flow, less flow?

Sounds to me like it just needs to break in a bit and get a little bio film buildup on the inside of the skimmer neck.
its pretty normal for a new skimmer to take some time to start producing a good thick foam.

As far as the air adjustment tube - not 100% sure, since I have not used one of these yet, but my guess is that allows you to tune the skimmer a bit.

if you are already getting little foam, i would let it run a day or two before making any adjustments.
 
Last edited:
Hello,

Can someone help answer a question for me..

I have a new protein skimmer, Sicce Shark 150 for my AIO. I have the skimmer slightly above the “water level” line , which is the lowest it can go.

I’m having a little foam that will occasionally flow over into the container. Most of the time it’s bubbling but not flowing over.

What will adjusting the air intake do? There is a rubber tube with an adjustment at the end of it. Do I want more flow, less flow?
Increasing air flow should increase the amount of foam (skimmate) collected.
 
Hello,

Can someone help answer a question for me..

I have a new protein skimmer, Sicce Shark 150 for my AIO. I have the skimmer slightly above the “water level” line , which is the lowest it can go.

I’m having a little foam that will occasionally flow over into the container. Most of the time it’s bubbling but not flowing over.

What will adjusting the air intake do? There is a rubber tube with an adjustment at the end of it. Do I want more flow, less flow?
Not sure if you figured this out yet but you just read that after about a week of operation, the black valve should be removed.
This was on a Reefs.com article about the new 150 and 300.
I wasn’t aware of that and just removed mine. We will see how it goes.
 
Not sure if you figured this out yet but you just read that after about a week of operation, the black valve should be removed.
This was on a Reefs.com article about the new 150 and 300.
I wasn’t aware of that and just removed mine. We will see how it goes.
How did this work out for you? I’ve been letting it break in for about a week, still not quite pushing all that foam into the cup.
 
Sometimes too much air has the opposite effect. There are some good BRS videos on how to tune skimmers and when there is not enough or too much air.
 
Sometimes too much air has the opposite effect. There are some good BRS videos on how to tune skimmers and when there is not enough or too much air.
Right. I still have the valve on, just open to its max airflow. Foam is nice and dirty, just can’t get up to the cup.
 
Bumping this up. I'm not familiar with this skimmer model.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new