Protein skimmer question

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Please forgive me. I know this has probably been before, but I’m pretty clueless. I set up a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump. I’ve been progressing it over the last few weeks. I currently have two small clownfish in it and I used turbo cycle to cycle the tank a few weeks ago. I’ve been adding small pieces of equipment here and there. I recently added a Reef Octopus 110 S on a suggestion. I don’t know if I’m breaking it in right though. I have it in the suggested height of water and I have the water in the actual skimmer bubbling up to the bottom of the cup. I’m just not sure if that’s right though. Is that right? I’m also wondering if it’s not going to work properly since I only have two small fish in there with light feedings.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Please forgive me. I know this has probably been before, but I’m pretty clueless. I set up a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump. I’ve been progressing it over the last few weeks. I currently have two small clownfish in it and I used turbo cycle to cycle the tank a few weeks ago. I’ve been adding small pieces of equipment here and there. I recently added a Reef Octopus 110 S on a suggestion. I don’t know if I’m breaking it in right though. I have it in the suggested height of water and I have the water in the actual skimmer bubbling up to the bottom of the cup. I’m just not sure if that’s right though. Is that right? I’m also wondering if it’s not going to work properly since I only have two small fish in there with light feedings.
Sounds good to me

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the whole tube is bubbles amd just barely coming out that sounds about right. A picture would help. Keep an eye on it as it will vary a lot initially. Once tank is matured and skimmer breaks in then much kore consistent

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed a foam froth working it's way to the top of the cup? What you're looking for is a relatively stiff froth overflowing into the cup. If you're not getting that right away, that's okay. Could be the skimmer is still breaking in, or you may not have nutrients enough yet to produce a good skimmate. Regardless, your skimmer is providing aeration to the system, which is good. If you find that your nitrates and phosphates are rising, and you are still not getting any appreciable skimmate from the skimmer, you'll have to start tuning it.

OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed a foam froth working it's way to the top of the cup? What you're looking for is a relatively stiff froth overflowing into the cup. If you're not getting that right away, that's okay. Could be the skimmer is still breaking in, or you may not have nutrients enough yet to produce a good skimmate. Regardless, your skimmer is providing aeration to the system, which is good. If you find that your nitrates and phosphates are rising, and you are still not getting any appreciable skimmate from the skimmer, you'll have to start tuning it.
From what I’ve read, it might take a week or two to start seeing anything. I still have really tiny bubble and it’s not super foamy yet. But then again, only a few days in.

OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, this is what I’m working with currently.

Attachments

• AA1FA75A-A436-4C01-B494-1415304372B5.jpeg
    AA1FA75A-A436-4C01-B494-1415304372B5.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 26

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve read, it might take a week or two to start seeing anything. I still have really tiny bubble and it’s not super foamy yet. But then again, only a few days in.
I'd say just give it some time. Give it a week or two to let it break in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back