Protein Skimmers

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happily anticipating the delivery of my Marine X 90.3 next week. Looking at protein skimmers. Read a lot of reviews and was looking at a dual pump one from reef octopus but it won’t fit my sump of 15.5” x 12.3”. The skimmer may have been too big anyways.

I contacted Coralvue for suggestions for a 60 gallon display with a 25 gallon sump (tots water volume 85 gallons). They recommended Elite 150 INT, Elite 150SSS, Regal 150 INT, and Regal 150SSS. I know those would fit but would they be too big for the tank size?

Looking for suggestions as the protein skimmer thing confuses me a bit and I’m scared to get one that’s way too big. Am eventually going for a mixed reef, medium to high bioload progressing slowly.

Looking for any and all recommendations and advice on skimmers, any brands are welcome too. I just want to do it right the first time.

Thanks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - except for your budget - there is no such thing as 'too big'. If there is nothing to skim- they will do nothing. I would follow the recommendations of whatever company you like.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have multiple Reef Octopus skimmers between 110 and 150. You could save some money with a smaller skimmer and be okay, but I think CoralVue’s recommendation will work well for you.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back