Protocol for using antibiotics to treat infected anemones

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what we're all here for, to help each other out! Happy holidays to you and yours! Please update the post when your done treating them.
Sure thing, After 4 hrs into treatment it is looking better.I will post pics day by day.Wishing you and your family a merry Christmas to.

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did water change on the HT and dosed.Shortly afterwards the anemone deflated for adopt 4 hrs.It’s inflated now but mouth is still open.

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 the anemone is still about the same.It did ball up today with a few tentacles sticking out.Just did a 100% water change and dosed again.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you treat a anemone with cipro without a reef light?
I dont believe so. They need the light to produce food, and keep the algae in them alive during this time.
One of the full spectrum par 38 style bulbs would be sufficient though I do believe.

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the general consensus to not use display water for the water changes? I have no nems in the display at this time but would love to use this process as a water change for the tank.

The nem is going in the display so he/shes getting the water one way or another!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the general consensus to not use display water for the water changes? I have no nems in the display at this time but would love to use this process as a water change for the tank.

The nem is going in the display so he/shes getting the water one way or another!
Tour systems water has benificial bacteria and possibly offending bacteria. Cipro is an antibacterial. So adding it to bacteria ladder water will waste the dose when compared to adding it to fresh mixed saltwater.
You want to treat the nem in as clean of an environment as possible giving its immune system time to recover.
This is a simple step to follow.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tour systems water has benificial bacteria and possibly offending bacteria. Cipro is an antibacterial. So adding it to bacteria ladder water will waste the dose when compared to adding it to fresh mixed saltwater.
You want to treat the nem in as clean of an environment as possible giving its immune system time to recover.
This is a simple step to follow.
To add to this.

Another handy thing about using freshly made SW is the only parameter that needs to be matched is PH and temp.

PH is usually matched when mixing for a while and if off, it is usually not by much. Temp is also easy, so saves time and keeps from shocking the nem with water from a DT that may also be way off on alk compared to the nem HT.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this.

Another handy thing about using freshly made SW is the only parameter that needs to be matched is PH and temp.

PH is usually matched when mixing for a while and if off, it is usually not by much. Temp is also easy, so saves time and keeps from shocking the nem with water from a DT that may also be way off on alk compared to the nem HT.
Also keeping the treatment container at a lower temp helps slow bacterial growth, making it easier for the cipro to kill the bacteria off faster then it can reproduce

Berry96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me I’m trying to get a hold of Cipro in the uk but can’t seem to find anywhere? Does anyone know what I could use or know an alternative, really struggling

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up on the way to use Cipro. I have often wondered if iodide is a better way to treat most anemone infection issues as that has antibacterial properties with less risk of killing beneficial bacteria vs antibiotics.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 of treatment of this gig :)
20220629_083918.jpg

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up on the way to use Cipro. I have often wondered if iodide is a better way to treat most anemone infection issues as that has antibacterial properties with less risk of killing beneficial bacteria vs antibiotics.
In my all anemone tank, I dosed the display tank with like 3 Cipro tablets each night. Also my lfs anemone tank is dosed with Cipro daily. I know it's a broad spectrum antibiotics, but it doesn't seem to impact the beneficial bacteria enough to notice any issues when I dosed my display tank. I have not lost a single anemone from that lfs, honestly think all lfs should do that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back