Pseudochromis springeri compatibility

Df1577

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently maintain a red sea reefer 170 with a pair of orange storm ocellaris and a springer's damsel. I've made gambles in terms of compatibility before such as dwarf angels in reef tanks, but I have never touched any dottyback species due to fear of aggression. Currently, I am considering giving in and adding a springer's dottyback to my tank. Has anyone kept this species in a tank with comparable dimensions? It would be the last fish added, but I'm still concerned the damsel may be the target of aggression as it is a very passive fish. I'm also considering just skipping out on this fish and adding some type of assessor instead.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have two springeri dottybacks together with an older springeri damsel in a 400 l (105 gal) aquarium. The damsel arrived two years before the dottybacks, and the dottybacks were much smaller than the damsel initially. There was some squabbling and chasing in the very beginning, but after a week or so everything calmed down.

Bow I'm conisdering buying a partner for the damsel.

NB the dottybacks are captive bred.

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently maintain a red sea reefer 170 with a pair of orange storm ocellaris and a springer's damsel. I've made gambles in terms of compatibility before such as dwarf angels in reef tanks, but I have never touched any dottyback species due to fear of aggression. Currently, I am considering giving in and adding a springer's dottyback to my tank. Has anyone kept this species in a tank with comparable dimensions? It would be the last fish added, but I'm still concerned the damsel may be the target of aggression as it is a very passive fish. I'm also considering just skipping out on this fish and adding some type of assessor instead.
I have a springeri dottyback, he’s been in my 75 for about 4 years. A couple months ago I added 3 springeri damsels. No issues.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a neon dottyback and it’s been the most aggressive fish that ive ever had. I’ve had a lot of dwarf angels since they are my favorite fish,
But the neon dottyback is on a whole new level of aggression, even killing puffers.

OP
OP
Df1577

Df1577

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a neon dottyback and it’s been the most aggressive fish that ive ever had. I’ve had a lot of dwarf angels since they are my favorite fish,
But the neon dottyback is on a whole new level of aggression, even killing puffers.
I do see lots of stories like this, but the neon dottyback seems to be a very different fish than P. springeri. I typically hear good things about springers dottyback, though I'm still thinking an assessor may be a better choice for my tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back