Pseudo's 120 Reefomania Rimless

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been trying to make time to start a build thread on here for ages. I love looking at the tank threads on here as there are so many different styles of tanks and diverse systems and locations around the world. So cool to finally add mine to the list. I hope you like it.

Well I finally came to a point where I could no longer fit anymore corals or fish into my 60g cube. So I upgraded to a 120g tank. This will be my final upgrade until I find my last home (search for houses has started) and retire.

120g 4x2x2 Reefomania custom starfire tank
Custom 3' high stand on wheels ;-)
Custom King 39" sump
Custom King ATO, Salt mix, Dosing containers
GEO's Reef Calcium Reactor nano 512/ Aquarium Plants regulator
GEO's Reef Custom Fluidized pellet reactor
GEO's Reef GFO and GAC reactors
GEO's Reef auto shut off waste container
2x Giesemann Spectra 400W w/4 T5 fixtures
2 x Vortech MP40's
Jebao DC 9000 return pump
Skimz 163 DC skimmer
Avast Squabbie neck cleaner
Apex Full w/3 EB8, 1 EB4, PM1,WXM and leak detectors
GHL 4 head Stand alone doser
Red Sea 200mg Ozone generator
Geo's Reef Custom Ozone reactor, desiccant chamber and Carbon air filter

I am not doing a refugium because I am lazy. I am doing a 4" sand bed with Live rock. I want to reduce the amount of livestock due to higher nitrates in the 60g that I couldn't keep down and I want different fish (more triggers and tangs)

Thanks to Custom King and Geo's Reef for all of the complicated stuff I kept asking for and the excellent work they did for this project. Also to Jackson6745 (Richie) for keeping my head on straight while designing this build.

Let me start out by saying I had some excellent people working with me from the beginning on this tank build. Jackson6745 has had TOTM and awesome tanks ever since the day I met him 12 years ago. Just consulting back and forth with him was invaluable. I had a local custom tank builder (Reefomania) that was exceptional in his skills and he went with my designs perfectly. My stand was custom designed and built by another local builder TonyT that I cant have higher praise for. Geo's Reef is amazing and most of my equipment came from him and nothing was stock from Bio-pellet reactors to Fluidized reactors for GAC and GFO to Ozone reactors. It took almost a year to get everything the way I wanted before I even started the build.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I cannot edit my thread. So posting the pics again

November 2013

Today June 2014

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is on wheels and can be moved when full and everything running. I had the stand built like a tank with extra heavy duty low profile casters that are bolted through 4" of 3/4" ply and then covered with another layer of 3/4" ply on top. the sides are doubled up 2x4" and is braced on all corners. Even though I don't move it much, just to be able to in a pinch is great and has come in handy a few times.

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is rimless with a custom smaller sized overflow box so I have more room in the tank but still can handle 1200gph+ with 1" drain and return line. I only push about 900gph through it though.

The stand accommodates a nice sized sump of over 40 gallons with dual 7" socks and space for any size skimmer and return pump

Water testing after I made a manifold to run the system eliminating allot of little pumps.

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I wanted less rock but I wanted more places to put corals up higher in the tank I made my own rock structures with Marco rock and pvc 1/2" tubing. The rest was Manando Live rock from old tank. All rock was cured before I put it into the tank for 4 months.

Then I aquascaped and started the system up. I had alot of work to do since I was breaking down my old tank and setting this one up in the same day.

24 hours of skimming.

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to set up the Apex and the rest of the equipment the next day. I eventually added and removed some things as I found they weren't working up to par or just didn't need them.

I got tired of lugging water to and from all of my other tanks so I decided with this one I would run feed and drain lines to the tank. I live in an apt so no slop sink or any of that nearby. I opted to drill through the wall into the kitchen that is directly behind the tank. I ordered an ATO off container that holds 26 gallons but I didn't want to have to keep filling it as I am away from the tank several weeks at a time. So I ordered a Spectrapure Hi/Low float system with a dedicated 100gpd RO/DI compact unit with booster pump. So when the tank get down to the last gallon it fills back up and shuts off at 25 gallons.

All tucked away in a cabinet next to the tank unseen.

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this tank I made sure to buy 2 of everything that can break (pumps and floats and controllers) and everything else in bulk like ESV, chemicals, carbon, gac, food, cables and tubing. So far nothing has broken that couldn't be swapped out. The tank is running stable now.

Alk 9.0
Calcium 460
mag 1520
Nitrates 5-10 fluctuates with feedings
po4 0.02

When I get a chance I will post some macro shots of some of the corals.

Thanks for looking

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow what a gorgeous tank!! So glad to have you document the progress here at R2R! Look for your tank on FB today! :)

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Thanks for sharing!!

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can move the tank with one hand. Not hard at all. I thought the weight would be prohibitive but it isn't at all. It moves like something that is on a dolly. These wheels were expensive but worth it (around $400) but all of my tank have spills and these hardwood floors take a beating. So I needed something that I could move to clean up and re-do my floors if there was ever another mishap. Which happened right after I forgot to hook the skimmer container float switch up to the Apex. It overflowed until the ATO ran out of water (5 gallons) which I then noticed too late.
Not to mention the leaky bulkhead
the unglued union
the bad gasket on the JG RO/DI fitting
the snail in the return pipe
and so on.
Needless to say I love my ALD on the Apex :)

Last edited:

Brian Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks wonderful. No worries about the small mishaps. It seems you are right on top of them and at least you are finding out sooner than waaaaayyyyy later.

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love this system man ,,youve done a amazing job pseudo..... tagging along

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 102 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back