Psychotic ocellaris clownfish??

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a year and a half old ocellaris clownfish for about three months now. She was given up at my LFS by an employee for being really aggressive. She was originally in a completely empty QT tank where she was supposed to help other fish become more confident, but when I got her I put her in an established 20 gallon high with lots of rock and some corals.

She is mean as hell, bites me and takes the skin off, attack’s ANYTHING that I put in her tank (including rocks), and tail slaps anything she is unsure about. Yesterday I added a BTA and she has started attacking much harder, but I don’t see any hosting going on. She fans the anemone with her tail but that’s about it. The BTA is bleached and a work in progress btws

Any fish that goes in there gets attacked constantly. I really want to put other fish in my tank or even just get her a mate. Is there ANYTHING I can do to calm down this aggressive behavior?

Perfect parameters, weekly 25% water change, single fish aquarium, flukes in the past and possibly still has them. High flow and high filtration environment.

813E3D1B-464A-4886-9049-558A8B9B7883.jpeg

Attachments

• 0F2D4878-CCDF-480B-BEBD-4E4EC41FE6AB.MOV
    27.9 MB

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clowns are wired for hierarchy and aggression so it is not surprising that you sometimes come across one that is overly aggressive. One thing you might try is to hand-feed so that the fish associates your hand with something other than a threat. Good luck!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that is mean as well to me and anything i put in the tank when cleaning it. She had repeatedly jumped out of the water to strike at my hand when using a Turkey baster to clean rocks. The other day, she jumped completely out id the tank by accident trying to get to my hand above the tank. I seriously thought about just leaving her there on the floor! But, i picked her back up and put her back in the tank. She was a little calmer for a day, but she's back to being evil.

But, she's only a little aggressive toward other fish since all the fish do get along well. So, i guess she had an upside... but when she turns on my peaceful fish, she'll be a goner!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back