Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinalfish)

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want them to be hungry enough to try the TDO but also not starve them. Make sure they are picking at the TOD for the first couple of days, if not maybe feed brineshrimp twice a day.
And you are correct 8 hours of rest is beneficial.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want them to be hungry enough to try the TDO but also not starve them. Make sure they are picking at the TOD for the first couple of days, if not maybe feed brineshrimp twice a day.
And you are correct 8 hours of rest is beneficial.

Last night was the first time they took to the B1, hopefully this will be the start of the change over and not a one-off.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success for several days now. I have got the Baby Banggai Cardinals to eat the TDO B1 (size) food consistently and they are weaned off of the baby brine shrimp. I know that I had way too much food in the video but wanted to make sure you could see the feeding response. My plan is to start the next brood from day 1 with the TDO B1. I will post a comparison of the different TDO sizes in just a bit, but for now here is the feeding video. Added note: The fry are 9 weeks old in this video, born 9 November.

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success for several days now. I have got the Baby Banggai Cardinals to eat the TDO B1 (size) food consistently and they are weaned off of the baby brine shrimp. I know that I had way too much food in the video but wanted to make sure you could see the feeding response. My plan is to start the next brood from day 1 with the TDO B1. I will post a comparison of the different TDO sizes in just a bit, but for now here is the feeding video.

Looks good! They are gobbling it up.

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it turned out I lost the female of my breeding pair....thought that it was the male, but I was wrong. :) So today I got a new female and I am acclimating her as I write. I am hoping for instant connection (positive that is) between my male and the new female. I got her from a completely different source because I wanted to make sure that she is not immediately related as it would be if I kept a pair from my recent batch. Will update once she settles in.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little pigs are doing well on only the TDO B1 food. I received my Tigger Pods that I ordered today to give them a treat and they went after those pods like there was no tomorrow. I love the buy one, get one offer from Tuesday - not sure if it is still running, but hard to beat that deal.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my fry were released into this world on 8 November. Since then I have been feeding mostly Baby Brine shrimp and then successfully switched them over to TDO ChromaBoost B1. I have fed them Tigger Pods and ROE as a treat, but not trying to keep that up since I stopped culturing the Tigger Pods and that gets a bit expensive.

My question is, at what point (age) do I get them over to mysis or other foods like I feed my DT inhabitants? Thanks in advance for your insights....I am struggling with when to transition them.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pairing has worked and I now have a new mated pair. They are both eating a lot. Will post a pic soon

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here is a picture of the new mated pair. Not a great pic, but at least you can see them. About the same size for the moment and eat everything that I offer...and then some.
DSC_0479_edited-1.jpg

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male has been holding the eggs for about three days now. This is the new pair and I am keeping fingers crossed that he is mature enough to carry them to term. In about 18 days I will know.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so good. The male is still holding the eggs and they are developing from what I can see when I catch the odd moment of the gaping mouth as he swims.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is cool how easy it was getting the new pairing going. Now I want to go home and figure out what sex mine is to get another to try this.

kaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool to see your success. My male has been holding eggs since 2/6 so he should be releasing them any day now. I have bbs ready to go, but now I'll definitely be ordering some TDO ChromaBoost B1 after reading this thread.

It's also awesome that your new pair started to breed so quickly. Good luck with them!

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kaxt-do you enrich your bbs at all? I really did like using the TDO ChromaBoost B1 and will use that from day 1 this time. I hope you will share an update when your male releases the young. I always find the transition in the male going from a mouth full of spheres to fry odd, since in my experience the males mouth then looks smaller/thinner and I always wonder if he swallowed the eggs. Once he yawns and I see the fry it is all good.

Thanks for sharing your update! :)

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is cool how easy it was getting the new pairing going. Now I want to go home and figure out what sex mine is to get another to try this.

sde1500 - just to be candid about it. I had to try three other fish with the male before anyone paired with him. I think because of what I seem to go through to get a mated pair. I always am watching out for them. I really need to figure out how to make sure the male gets time to eat and doesn't just go right into brooding again. It is concerning when they have not eaten for 21-28 days and then only have a week to get some weight and fat back on before they typically start brooding again.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time getting fry with this pair, or at least the first time I've been aware of the male holding for this long. I found 3 young in my sump once before from a previous pair, but they didn't live a full week. I was not expecting to find them and struggled to keep up with the bbs demands. I have seclone, and an active phyto culture so I will probably do some enriching if I get that far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back