Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinalfish)

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if I can be of any help. I did a lot of trial and error and spent lots of money on my first batch to try it all out. I don't have the hang of a "Tigger Pod" culture but I got some results, just not what I thought I should have for the investment. Really am a fan of the TDO CB B1.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sde1500 - just to be candid about it. I had to try three other fish with the male before anyone paired with him. I think because of what I seem to go through to get a mated pair. I always am watching out for them. I really need to figure out how to make sure the male gets time to eat and doesn't just go right into brooding again. It is concerning when they have not eaten for 21-28 days and then only have a week to get some weight and fat back on before they typically start brooding again.

Good to know. Def don’t want to add a whole group to the tank to make a pairing right now.

kaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male is still holding. It's been 29 days and I'm starting to get worried about how skinny he is now.
I'm pretty sure the last male I had ended up starving because he held for longer than average and then had another batch of eggs less than a week later. I tried to catch him to transfer him to the sump so I could fatten him up but gave up after trying for several days.
I've been hatching brine shrimp, once they hatch I add them to a 2 liter bottle that is tinted green with phyto and start a new batch. I want to be ready to go when he finally releases. I also just got the TDO CB B1, and I have frozen baby brine shrimp, so I'll have plenty of feeding options.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kant: at 28 days I put my male in the brood pen with some macro and that evening he released most of the young and the following night he released the remainder. I have not observed holding greater than the 28-30 days. He might be holding to keep the fry safe.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally won't let the male go over day 20, netting him will usually make him release them. I gently hold the male face down mouth just barely in the water to get the stubborn males to release them.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sabeypets: netting the male and trying to get him to release the young scares the heck out of me. I have tried that and wasn’t terribly successful. Ant tips on the process so it is successful? Thank you for sharing your experience, it really helps

kaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He held for 31 days. I tried several times to catch him and get him in a brood box but with no success. I finally gave up because it was stressing us both out too much. I've been hoping to find at least 1 or 2 babies in the tank or sump, but no luck.

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair, and I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my male had a clutch of eggs in his mouth, but a few days later, it seemed he had eaten or released the eggs. Is this common? Does this behavior indicate that he will continue to unsuccessfully incubate the eggs in his mouth? Or is it hit and miss?

kaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it takes them a couple tries to hold for the full 28-30 days. It's normal for younger males to fail the first few times, he'll figure it out eventually.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair, and I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my male had a clutch of eggs in his mouth, but a few days later, it seemed he had eaten or released the eggs. Is this common? Does this behavior indicate that he will continue to unsuccessfully incubate the eggs in his mouth? Or is it hit and miss?

If it is a new pair, like mine it is not uncommon for the first few broods to be lost. I introduced a new pair and they went to near full term in the male's mouth but he has been eating for a few days and no sign of the young anywhere in the tank. Don't get frustrated...my earlier pair had a few misses before being successful. Now is the time to fatten up the male with special attention to his food - type and enriching. Hope that helps.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread!!!! Thanks for all the input and info. Now I think I'll be adding a pair of cardinals to my clownfish brood stock system.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back