Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinalfish)

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching my male BC for a few weeks, I noticed at one point early on I could see the 'pink spheres' in his mouth and then just last week noticed that I could see what appeared to be a mini BC peaking out. When he started to gape his mouth I thought that the time was very near. Yesterday I put him in a plastic enclosure in the DT with some Microalgae in it. This morning I was pleased to see 14 babies in the container and all had their pink/yellow yolk-sac bellies. While feeding the DT with the pumps off - I tried to feed them some baby brine shrimp that I have been hatching so that when they were born I could feed them right away. Most of the babies took to the BBS. I have some tiger pods and arctic pods on the way as well as an amphipod culture to feed them when they are few weeks older. You can see some of the BBS around them. They are by far my favorite fish (with Leopard Wrasses being a close second).

In the beginning I am going to feed them 3-4 times a day by releasing the BBS into the enclosure. I really like the plastic enclosure vs. the 'net' enclosure I can keep it cleaner and in my mind that makes for a healthier rearing environment.
First BBC.png

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching my male BC for a few weeks, I noticed at one point early on I could see the 'pink spheres' in his mouth and then just last week noticed that I could see what appeared to be a mini BC peaking out. When he started to gape his mouth I thought that the time was very near. Yesterday I put him in a plastic enclosure in the DT with some Microalgae in it. This morning I was pleased to see 14 babies in the container and all had their pink/yellow yolk-sac bellies. While feeding the DT with the pumps off - I tried to feed them some baby brine shrimp that I have been hatching so that when they were born I could feed them right away. Most of the babies took to the BBS. I have some tiger pods and arctic pods on the way as well as an amphipod culture to feed them when they are few weeks older. You can see some of the BBS around them. They are by far my favorite fish (with Leopard Wrasses being a close second).

In the beginning I am going to feed them 3-4 times a day by releasing the BBS into the enclosure. I really like the plastic enclosure vs. the 'net' enclosure I can keep it cleaner and in my mind that makes for a healthier rearing environment.
First BBC.png
This is awesome! Good luck with the babies :D

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First BBC.png
Thanks for sharing. Do you have a link to the enclosure you're using? I hate the net I've been using.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!! I breed fish as well. The Bangaii was my first fish I was able to raise. That was a year and half ago. I’ve since built a whole breeding room, with larval rearing, phyto and zooplankton station for first foods and to sell (Copepods are always a good way to make xtra money either in cash or trade).
The reason I wanted to introduce myself is that I have a few PDFs, one from University of Hawaii, on how to raise bangaiis. Not that you really need instructions as the papa fish takes care of the difficult larval stage, leaving you with keeping the juveniles safe and fed for the next several months. They take forever to grow into adult size.
If you want to check out my stuff, I have a few threads in the fish breeding forum. Under Breeding the Striped Blenny. I’ve got each day video documented, usually macro shots so they’re super detailed.
I’m a BIG advocate for captive breeding so we don’t have to rely on wild caught flown halfway around the world. It doesn’t make sense, it’s cruel and it’s hurting our oceans even more than they already are. The perfect example of this is the Bangaii cardinal. Not too long ago this species was overfished for the aquarium trade and came very close to becoming officially endangered. With each fish that I breed and sell, that’s one more that isn’t bought from a wild caught stock.
With all that being said, I can offer whatever research I’ve dug up that you need. I’ve been hitting google scholar a lot for some research studies, but I’ve got a lot of articles not just on fish breeding. I’ve started a general q&a in the R2R breeding forum, as well as a few species I’ve bred that I’ve document with a thread. I would post some of my cardinal pics and a cool video I made, but I didn’t want to hijack your thread, lol. If you want to see it it’s posted or I can send it to you if you want it as well as the pdf. I don’t know how much you know about brine shrimp, but I’ve got a textbook that goes over culturing artemia and other zooplankton as well as how to decapsulate and what and how load them with nutrients for feeding.
Paul

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pdisner: thank you for all the info. I purchased a .pdf from the Banggai Cardinal Rescue and it is extremely informative. I will look in the fish breeding forum at your threads you mention. Thanks again

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pdisner: thank you for all the info. I purchased a .pdf from the Banggai Cardinal Rescue and it is extremely informative. I will look in the fish breeding forum at your threads you mention. Thanks again

You purchased it? This one I have is free. If you want I can email it.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure that you’re feeding enough. I prefer to hatch them in their own tank or transfer after they pop out. For me, it’s too hard to keep up on the feeding. This way I only have to check and replenish. The Copepods are by FAR the best food that you can feed them. Tiggers are big and juicy and full of a ton of carotenoids and a bunch of fatty acids needed for proper development. I also use apocyclopse because sometimes the tiggers can be to big and a little too crunchy for the baby fish. Usually you’ll want to feed the nauplii if you can. More tender to eat, and slower prey.
It’s always wise to have a good copepod culture going. I make my own sieves out of pvc and aquaculture mesh so I can specifically select the size of food prey. By using a certain size you can separate adult from nauplii. With tiggers, you can easily do this with a brine shrimp net. You catch the nauplii as they pour though. Doesn’t work as good as sieves but it will work til u get or make some.
Another tip: Reed Mariculture makes a food called TDO. It is professional feed for breeding. I know a guy that has used ONLY TDO for food an ever hatched any brine shrimp. This is how he raises his Bangaiis now. He’s Chad Vossen inventor of the “Vossen larval Trap”, sold on BUlk Reef Supply, so he has street cred. He’s a pretty prolific breeder, an acquaintance of mine and who I go to for some of my harder questions. Young guy too. Vossen Aquatics. You could ask him specifics.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your email? Do you want anything on raising copepods too? That’s my forte as well.

I just looked up your book you bought, it’s not just a pdf. Those authors are heavy hitters in the world of marine breeding. I’ve not read it but I’d like to. Just don’t know if it would be worth spending the 20$ at the moment. I never pass up a good breeding book. That info is hard to come by. I can still send you what I’ve got, maybe you’ll learn something else, but fromwhat I see that should be more than good. Keep up the good work and post daily so we can all see how you’re doin!

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question, how quickly will they breed again? I need to get some weight back on the male. He still has a few babies he is holding so in the next couple of days he should be ready to eat

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question, how quickly will they breed again? I need to get some weight back on the male. He still has a few babies he is holding so in the next couple of days he should be ready to eat

You’ve got the idea. Feed, then feed more. Usually the female will swell with eggs when she knows he’s ready. It’s a tough thing to say from my point of view because I’ve had different times between clutches but usually mine have been avg of a month and half to two months. I just don’t know enough to know if that’s typical or not.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned that the male does not eat enough, but I plan to fatten him up with amphipods.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I found one more released into the tank and got it scooped up and in the brood pen. They are all eating like little pigs - love it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back