Public aquariums

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There are various Public aquariums and Large Public aquariums. Many can be of discovery and inspiration.
I have been to Chicago Shedd aquarium , Mall of America, New York and Miami Aquarium. My favorites are John Shedd and Miami.
Besides the thousands of gallons of sea water/sea life, I liked the variety of specimens. Miami had a variety of aquatic mammals and birds and reptiles.

Have you been to a public aquarium(s) and if so, which is your favorite?
What can you tell others who visit it and what did you like best at your favorite aquarium?

Miami:

miamiseaqua3.jpg
miamiseaquar33.jpg
miamiseaquar34.jpg
miamiseaquar8.jpg
miamiseaquar7.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite aquarium will always be the Georgia Aquarium. I remember going there a few times as a kid and one time a couple of years back. There is so much variety in terms of aquatic life there and so many different exhibits as well.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Georgia Aquarium is definitely on my bucket list but going to the state of Georgia (sorry) is not.

Used to take my son to the Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium in the Southern OBX every weekend. Not huge or anything but beautiful and well done.

Myrtle Beach, SC has a decent one (fun for kids).

Then there’s the London Aquarium which is great as I recall.

The aquarium is Lisbon had hands down one of the most amazing exhibits I’ve ever seen- quite honestly rivaling the aforementioned whale shark in Georgia (I believe that’s where it is or disregard above statement!) in ambition (but not in scale). It’s a large room filled with meticulously cared for planted freshwater tanks.

We live near Sea World now and my son is about to start their summer camp (he does it every year). He preps food, pets animals, etc. I know Sea World as a corporation isn’t exactly awesome but the staff and facilities (in regards to animal life) are absolutely amazing.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My favorite aquarium will always be the Georgia Aquarium. I remember going there a few times as a kid and one time a couple of years back. There is so much variety in terms of aquatic life there and so many different exhibits as well.
Ive heard much about Georgia and Monterey aquariums. As we go to Caribbean annually, we frequently go through Atlanta but never there long enough

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently became friends with someone who works at the Georgia Aquarium. I have to admit I used to not like it’s as it seemed very over the top and cared more about sponsors then the animals. However things seemed to have changed a lot and seeing things from behind the scenes has made me realize the incredible amount of work that goes into it. Of course they’re stocking could use some help and I did encourage them to come to me for some help adding some variety :face-with-tears-of-joy: Far too few wrasse GA!!

Other than that I love the Shedd in Chicago and the Chattanooga is a really great hidden gem with probably the best ambiance of any aquarium I’ve been to (have you been @Gumbies R Us ?)

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Georgia aquarium is pretty amazing. We did a pilgrimage there a few years ago because one of my daughters has a thing for whale sharks. (Well, really, who doesn't)

Her fiancée is now a board member at the Shedd, and they get to do some interesting behind the scenes things. It is a cool place, adn much closer to me so it is probably a favorite.

Chattanooga has a nice little hidden gem of an aquarium, but I remember it being mostly fresh water.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I went to the National Aquarium in Baltimore and it was good. I’ve also been to the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky several times and like it. Ripley’s aquarium in Myrtle Beach is okay but my least favorite of the three.

Next Friday I am going to Georgia Aquarium for the first time. We’re stopping on my families trip down to Florida for vacation. I’m pretty excited about it. For those of you who have been, is the behind the seas tour worth it, it is only $15 after all.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been to Sea World with family too many times to count since semi-local.
Hands-on bat ray pond is my favorite there.

I've also been to many others around the US including Shedd and Miami mentioned but my wish list is to some day make it to Georgia. (Gotta see those whale sharks and manta rays)

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honolulu Aquarium and the San Diego Aquarium. Virginia Beach Aquarium is nice for a smaller aquarium. Their Seahorses exhibit was best I’ve seen. Had to really talk myself out of starting a Seahorse Aquarium. I was super disappointed in the Baltimore Aquarium, but that was Eons ago. The Calvert Marine Museum has a lot of local waters Aquatic Life, I’ve done work there as a Contractor. Also I did a Start-up on the Amazon Exhibit at the National Zoo, got into a heated argument with their Ichthyologist, why they were killing fish. Way too much flow, not the materials in the pumps I understand it’s been dismantled.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an all day event. Its amazing.

My local aquarium is the NC Aquarium and its nice to go 2x a year but its very small. They do have a new coral exhibit. So that's exciting.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 109 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back