Pulsing Xenia Color

tmerritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first coral and it’s a Pulsing Xenia. New to saltwater and was wanting something easy. I was a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices at the LFS and can’t remember its colorization from the store. Is this tan color what it’ll stay as? I was envisioning a pink/purple color.

366158A2-1D40-46D6-A42C-0D69B694621B.jpeg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on which ones you buy. You bought tan/cream ones, and they'll likely stay that way. With blue lighting, I'm sure they can look more purple though.

OP
OP
T

tmerritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on which ones you buy. You bought tan/cream ones, and they'll likely stay that way. With blue lighting, I'm sure they can look more purple though.
Thanks for the info! The GSP that is also encrusting the rock really pop when the white lights turn off, but the pulsing xenia just seems to get dark. I guess that was part of what made me curious if the xenia is just going through an acclimation phase or something.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking you have a different species of xenia. Attached is a photo of ours in our tank with a white flashlight on the right colony for comparison. I'm wondering if you added a little more blue to your lighting, will it alter it's appearance any? My answer = possibly slightly.

20211220_132803.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia doesn’t really glow under blues like gsp.
I’m pretty sure what you have is actually anthellia, as each stalk is a single polyp, while Xenia is a stalk with multiple polyps. Similar care either way.

OP
OP
T

tmerritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking you have a different species of xenia. Attached is a photo of ours in our tank with a white flashlight on the right colony for comparison. I'm wondering if you added a little more blue to your lighting, will it alter it's appearance any? My answer = possibly slightly.

20211220_132803.jpg
This was a what mine looks like in blue light mode. I just have the standard BioCube lights so I’m unable to fine tune any settings.

Attachments

• DADD8E09-C1B7-4A1F-8848-5DDB5143D0FB.jpeg
    DADD8E09-C1B7-4A1F-8848-5DDB5143D0FB.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
T

tmerritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia doesn’t really glow under blues like gsp.
I’m pretty sure what you have is actually anthellia, as each stalk is a single polyp, while Xenia is a stalk with multiple polyps. Similar care either way.
I was really curious as to how it was going to pulse with the length of the polyps (not sure if "polyps" are the correct term here. Referring to the long feathering things though.).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really curious as to how it was going to pulse with the length of the polyps (not sure if "polyps" are the correct term here. Referring to the long feathering things though.).
By definition, a polyp is the ground state of a cnidarian (so technically the whole stalk), but when talking about coral the mouths/feathery things are called polyps. I haven’t kept anthelia, does it pulse like Xenia would?

OP
OP
T

tmerritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By definition, a polyp is the ground state of a cnidarian (so technically the whole stalk), but when talking about coral the mouths/feathery things are called polyps. I haven’t kept anthelia, does it pulse like Xenia would?
It doesn't seem to pulse. It does allow for quite a bit of water movement which is nice to watch.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it growing off a leather on the right? Or does it just develop a large base like that?
Should have been more clear in my pic is Xenia on right , a Kenya tree , and pink anthelia on left , the polyps are super long. Can kinda see it better farther away ,

DAF72DC1-D141-4507-B994-75A2ACCA432A.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, it is not xenia.

Xenia does come in many colors/types though... pink/purple, tan, blue, red, silver/black, and so on. They won't glow the way GSP and some other corals do though but the right morphs and look really nice still.

Back