Purchasing tank dilemma

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently put together my shallow/frag tank deep ocean 24X24X12 as main tank about couple months ago after replacing my 46 bow reef tank and move it to this tank. The thing is.. I'm not happy with it, and since I ever starded back to this hobby i always wanted a red sea 170/200xl tank, but I got this one for free and it actually came out good even after I built a crappy stand. I'm contempt but not really what I wanted but figured why not.

Anyways, I have known my LFS owner since 2004 when I used to have 200gal leopard shark tank. I know... Small tank. Anyways, he has alot of the red sea tanks I want and he is willing to let go the 200XL for 1,100.

My dilemma is.. this tank already looks good according to every one I know and it's already settled fo lack of words and it was free. And spending 1,100 compare to free really makes no sense spending it. My question to you guys honestly is, what would you do? Have you ever felt this way about your tanks?

Here are some pics of my recent tank and the one I really want.

IMG_20201228_134855937.jpg IMG_20201116_121333133.jpg IMG_20201230_162538101_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! if you get the 200 will you want a bigger one later? I just upgraded to the xl200 from a Biocube 32 and it looks great in my corner and it’s the biggest I could fit in the space.
good luck with your decision and keep us posted.
John

OP
OP
erdrick80

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! if you get the 200 will you want a bigger one later? I just upgraded to the xl200 from a Biocube 32 and it looks great in my corner and it’s the biggest I could fit in the space.
good luck with your decision and keep us posted.
John

Good question, unfortunately I live in apt. And I keep my tank In our room and that is pretty much the only space I have in that corner kinda like your situation. and that 200 seems perfect there.

So no, I wouldn't go bigger tank long wise just high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
erdrick80

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about your current tank are you unhappy with?

The height, and I have so much live rock from previous tank that I had to place half of them in sump. And the 200XL is nice and high and it seems I can aquascape really high and use all of it. Also, I already can see corals below waterline and figured i'll be running out of space quickly heightwise. Also, just the clean look from the red sea tanks. and I think sincerely because I want to hop on that band wagon. All I see is redsea, redsea since I got back into this hobby, and it's made me a believer! I believe I believe! Lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Buy as big as possible as you will get this tank and in time outgrow it and wished you went larger.

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, unfortunately I live in apt. And I keep my tank In our room and that is pretty much the only space I have in that corner kinda like your situation. and that 200 seems perfect there.
Go for it! my only complaint is the ato reservoir is tiny so I purcased a Tunze ato and a 5 gallon bucket For top offs. And a side cabinet for my reefwave 25 pump and ato controllers. If you get a bigger place Down the road get a bigger tank then.
John

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the one you've got, it looks great. 1100 for a small cube seems crazy to me. It also makes you accept the whole Red Sea package instead of being able to customize as you like.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height, and I have so much live rock from previous tank that I had to place half of them in sump. And the 200XL is nice and high and it seems I can aquascape really high and use all of it. Also, I already can see corals below waterline and figured i'll be running out of space quickly heightwise. Also, just the clean look from the red sea tanks. and I think sincerely because I want to hop on that band wagon. All I see is redsea, redsea since I got back into this hobby, and it's made me a believer! I believe I believe! Lol

Honestly, choosing to get a Red Sea tank just because you want to be on the band wagon is not a terribly great idea. =p I say that as someone who is quite happy with a Reefer 350. You should always choose the tank that is best for your situation and that you like the best, not simply because you want to hop on a bandwagon. That said, there's usually a reason that popular things become popular. =)

If that tank is truly what you think is going to be the best for your situation, by all means. If you have the money to spend and no one is going to be upset with you for doing so, go ahead and pull the trigger on it. It sounds like that's what you want to do anyhow and you're looking for someone to give you permission. No one can do that but you and/or your significant other.

OP
OP
erdrick80

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, choosing to get a Red Sea tank just because you want to be on the band wagon is not a terribly great idea. =p I say that as someone who is quite happy with a Reefer 350. You should always choose the tank that is best for your situation and that you like the best, not simply because you want to hop on a bandwagon. That said, there's usually a reason that popular things become popular. =)

If that tank is truly what you think is going to be the best for your situation, by all means. If you have the money to spend and no one is going to be upset with you for doing so, go ahead and pull the trigger on it. It sounds like that's what you want to do anyhow and you're looking for someone to give you permission. No one can do that but you and/or your significant other.

Wow. Very good advice, thank you. My fiancee okay with it, she knows how I am. But you are right, I think I'm just looking for some support to push me forward to getting it. Your advice has me thinking now. Appreciate you taking your time to say that.

OP
OP
erdrick80

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the one you've got, it looks great. 1100 for a small cube seems crazy to me. It also makes you accept the whole Red Sea package instead of being able to customize as you like.

Ayyyy.. very good point brother.

OP
OP
erdrick80

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! my only complaint is the ato reservoir is tiny so I purcased a Tunze ato and a 5 gallon bucket For top offs. And a side cabinet for my reefwave 25 pump and ato controllers. If you get a bigger place Down the road get a bigger tank then.
John

Thank you for the advice man!

I actually have that now of what you speak of, that gasoline looking jug in that picture I posted has an ATO with RO/DI going to it and have the flood guarding too in it.

Here is a picture of the set up now with it:

IMG_20201230_195619676_HDR.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back