Purple porites in the wild in bahamas

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was diving in bahamas last week. Saw this SPS at shallow areas... very common. Wonder why it's not seen in the reef tanks!<br />
<br />
It is a porites, very purple and beautiful under sunlight that is!
116f2c2d5b7e0f3f9148e72f67d00063.jpg
<br />
<br />

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not seen because all Caribbean stony corals are illegal to own, collect, trade, or do anything but look at. Those are nice though.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We have a similar species here in Florida, but I have only seen baby blue, yellow, and brownish/orange here. I've seen purple and pink Porites elsewhere in the Caribbean. We can't collect or keep any of them. I have seen someone keep the blue Porites, but was told it grew painfully slow and was quick to recede if a problem arose (not well adapted to captive tanks).

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here’s a pic I took of the Florida yellow type for reference.
7756A7A4-C7CF-41C3-9522-3CE12C44664C.png

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a similar species here in Florida, but I have only seen baby blue, yellow, and brownish/orange here. I've seen purple and pink Porites elsewhere in the Caribbean. We can't collect or keep any of them. I have seen someone keep the blue Porites, but was told it grew painfully slow and was quick to recede if a problem arose (not well adapted to captive tanks).
IIRC i saw the blue too! None of them were big colonies though, explains that it's slow growing.

I guess not all porites are tank hardy... makes sense

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was legal to collect broken frags that washed up to shore?

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I thought it was legal to collect broken frags that washed up to shore?

Negative. Possession of any Florida Scleractinia is illegal in Florida. Only exception is for coral harvested OUTSIDE of state waters and imported with valid proof or origin and purchase.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative. Possession of any Florida Scleractinia is illegal in Florida. Only exception is for coral harvested OUTSIDE of state waters and imported with valid proof or origin and purchase.
Thanks, it has been years but I thought the law used to read if it was connected to live rock. I must have remembered wrong or it changed

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks, it has been years but I thought the law used to read if it was connected to live rock. I must have remembered wrong or it changed

You can collect certain corals with a saltwater fishing license (FWC website has types and limits). Zoas and mushrooms have to be scraped from the liverock; octocorals (sea fans, gorgonias, etc.) can take substrate up to 1" from the base of the coral (also note that purple and venus fans are always prohibited also); no stony corals of any type no matter what (exception for approved research permit, etc.).

Hope that helps,
Ed

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back