Purple tang compatibility

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I’ve got a 100g aquarium set up and running with 6 small chromis, a royal gramma and a pair of clowns. I will add a juvenile rabbit fish next month I would like to add a purple tang and have him as the only tang in the system and add him last however if he’s small enough are there any other tangs that can live with him (not zebrasomas) maybe an orange shoulder, convict tang or maybe a juvenile Naso? I’m planning on upgrading to a 150 or 180 when the fish get too larger but for now what would go best with a purple tang or should he be kept as the only surgeon fish in the system? Any suggestions would be appreciated

h20cyclone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roll of the dice some Tangs play nice and others don't. Lots of hiding spots or areas that break the view of the other fish generally help. I currently have a yellow and purple that get around great. It took a bit of time before that was the case though. If you are able to introduce whichever tangs you decide upon at the same time I find that helps a lot as well. It is different for everyone though so if things aren't working just have a backup plan ready.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I’ve got a 100g aquarium set up and running with 6 small chromis, a royal gramma and a pair of clowns. I will add a juvenile rabbit fish next month I would like to add a purple tang and have him as the only tang in the system and add him last however if he’s small enough are there any other tangs that can live with him (not zebrasomas) maybe an orange shoulder, convict tang or maybe a juvenile Naso? I’m planning on upgrading to a 150 or 180 when the fish get too larger but for now what would go best with a purple tang or should he be kept as the only surgeon fish in the system? Any suggestions would be appreciated
I don’t think you should go for a Purple Tang. A 4’ tank just isn’t the room for them (Even as juveniles). And as they age aggression will come with them, they’ll most likely kill any similar fish in that size tank as they grow. Another thing when you say “Upgrading to a 150 or 180 when the fish get too large” how long do you plan for that to occur? Tangs grow fast when happy, healthy and fed the correct diet.

Don’t forget, these fish swim a ton even in captivity. I have a Ctenochaetus tang in my 4’ tank and Eventhough he seems happy if he’s got a means to then he can get to the other side of the tank in quite some time. If you plan on upgrading then wait till the upgrade to get a purple tang.

This is just my .2% though.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 26.9%
Back