Purple Tang long with string poop

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't specifically for tangs, but in general stringy and white = internal worms/parasites, brown and stringy = constipated from too much protein and not enough algae.

I do not know if QT protocol is warranted or not for digestive track parasites, but I do believe food soaked with General Cure (to get rid of the worms) and Focus (to bind the GC to the food so the fish can digest it) is often recommended.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I have no way to quarantine him..

I know metronidazole (not sure of spelling) can be added to food. Not sure if it’s reef/invert safe or what you have in your aquarium? Perhaps you can medicate the food and just dump it in. Do you have the name brand medication w metronidazole in it? Not sure who makes it but it’s called Metro. Would have further info on there. Lots of ppl on here can also help I’m sure :)

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oohhh smart. General cure has metronidazole and praziquantel as active ingredients and is safe to be added to food. Good call on the addition of focus as a binder. Forgot to mention that. @malacoda do u know if it’s reef safe?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually juice my own garlic
Garlic won't do anything used alone. I do recommend adding it to the food with meds to help mask the taste.

You will need to add GC + focus. The focus binds the meds to the food.

It is supposed to be reef safe. Make sure you don't overfeed and the food you are adding is being consumed. You can also run carbon as a precaution in case there is some residual medication in the water.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. Feed GC+focus (1:1 ratio) added to one spoon of food. Let it sit for about 30 min and then feed for a min of 10-14 days.
You can referegrate and feed any remaining portion.

Have an issue with a fish I can’t get out - did anyone on this thread try the GC + Focus w food in their DT? Any adverse effects to SPS?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I do it. Probably excessive detail, so feel free to take whatever you find useful and discard the rest.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's how I do it. Probably excessive detail, so feel free to take whatever you find useful and discard the rest.

Thank you for replying - going to get everything and give it a try. Not everyone has the space for QT and I work with my LFS to QT - all fish have been fine for months - then boom!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back