Purple tang mouth problem?!?!

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang is currently in hyposalinity (1.009-1.010) for ich treatment. I also suspect he has very slight HLLE (got him like this) but it is fading away nicely. He eats anything that floats by him, and still eats his seaweed (any color we put in. Red, purple, green, brown) He was doing great in the hypo, but now seems very nervous and he swims back and forth quickly. I noticed this white spot on his mouth and that he sometimes breaths quicker than usual. Is he okay? Is the white spot just an ulcer or that he bit/got bit? He is in the hypo tank with a valentini puffer, but I very highly doubt that she would even think about biting the tang. There is also a marine betta and 2 clowns. We do water changes every day to every other day.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424131435.850876.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424131445.982855.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good pic of Lympho as well:

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. He has a little bump/node on his fin but I always thought it was just him, like a birth defect, lol. If it is this, we haven't found a cure? I guess I will just keep an eye on him and see if more spots appear :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaking fish food with Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem is your best bet. Fortunately, Lympho is not that big of a deal. It's the "herpes" of the fish world.

Lymphocystis:

Symptoms - Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored cauliflower-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. Initially it may be small (looks like ich), and then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go.

Treatment options - No known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good to hear then. My fish get most of their food soaked in vita chem garlic anyways

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back