Purple tang sick??

Tim slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my purple tang recently been getting these grey marks one one side of its body while the other is perfectly fine could anyone help identify the cause and I may need to get rid of it soon because its has outgrown my tank.

IMG-6284.jpg IMG-6282.jpg IMG-6279.jpg IMG-6274.jpg IMG-6273.jpg IMG-6272.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my purple tang recently been getting these grey marks one one side of its body while the other is perfectly fine could anyone help identify the cause and I may need to get rid of it soon because its has outgrown my tank.

IMG-6284.jpg IMG-6282.jpg IMG-6279.jpg IMG-6274.jpg IMG-6273.jpg IMG-6272.jpg

Typically, fish diseases are symetrical - parasites on one side of the fish are also found on the other. When I see marks on just one side of the fish, the common cause is abrasion. However, these marks are very broadly spread, I don't see how a simple abrasion could cause them. How long have they been there, and have they been growing in size?

The scalloped dorsal fin is also pretty odd. I've seen that in yellow tangs that developed head and lateral line erosion, but I've never seen it in a purple. How long have the fins been like that?

Jay

OP
OP
Tim slate

Tim slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, fish diseases are symetrical - parasites on one side of the fish are also found on the other. When I see marks on just one side of the fish, the common cause is abrasion. However, these marks are very broadly spread, I don't see how a simple abrasion could cause them. How long have they been there, and have they been growing in size?

The scalloped dorsal fin is also pretty odd. I've seen that in yellow tangs that developed head and lateral line erosion, but I've never seen it in a purple. How long have the fins been like that?

Jay
I got it from a guy who had to get rid of it because it was fighting with his sohal tang and its kinda been like that since and I picked it up a little over a month ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from a guy who had to get rid of it because it was fighting with his sohal tang and its kinda been like that since and I picked it up a little over a month ago.
The typical treatment when the exact cause isn’t known is to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Kanaplex or Neoplex.
Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back