Purple tang sunken belly

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefers!

So I have 3 tangs in my tank. Yellow, purple and Tomini.

The purple tang is not the smartest fish in the tank. When I first got him he ran into the corals and bumped around lol

Now he only eats Nori. Nothing else. No food I feed it can even hit his face and he will move away. When I put nori in he eats.

I normally feed nori every 2 days. When I go to 3 days his stomach is sunken in. It’s sad

What are my options? Feed daily ? But will that raise my nitrates?

Thanks

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefers!

So I have 3 tangs in my tank. Yellow, purple and Tomini.

The purple tang is not the smartest fish in the tank. When I first got him he ran into the corals and bumped around lol

Now he only eats Nori. Nothing else. No food I feed it can even hit his face and he will move away. When I put nori in he eats.

I normally feed nori every 2 days. When I go to 3 days his stomach is sunken in. It’s sad

What are my options? Feed daily ? But will that raise my nitrates?

Thanks

Yes feed daily, you can also try algae wafers. When you say bumping around, any injuries or anything on the fish? That doesn’t sound like normal tang behavior.

Also what you are describing could be a parasite as well. Usually the stomach shouldn’t look pinched after 2-3 days. Noticed any white stringy poo?

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes feed daily, you can also try algae wafers. When you say bumping around, any injuries or anything on the fish? That doesn’t sound like normal tang behavior.

Also what you are describing could be a parasite as well. Usually the stomach shouldn’t look pinched after 2-3 days. Noticed any white stringy poo?

His poop is black. I seen not white. It comes out like he was constipated like a bunch at a time .

He no longer bumps around when I first got him two months ago I think he was just in captivity with no corals and no understanding of a reef .

When feeding nori daily do you think it will cause nitrate issues ?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His poop is black. I seen not white. It comes out like he was constipated like a bunch at a time .

He no longer bumps around when I first got him two months ago I think he was just in captivity with no corals and no understanding of a reef .

When feeding nori daily do you think it will cause nitrate issues ?

Every food will add a bit of nitrate and phosphate. Try to feed as much as the fish will eat and that will reduce the problem.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every food will add a bit of nitrate and phosphate. Try to feed as much as the fish will eat and that will reduce the problem.
It seems they eat the Nori and eat it all lol

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori everyday....tangs are grazers and need it every day. With three tangs, I'm thinking a full sheet of nori every day. HERE's how I do it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A surprisingly small amount of what you feed your fish goes to building body mass. Most of it ends up as nutrients in the water. If you do not have adequate nutrient export mechanisms in place to adequately feed your fish then you have too many. Tangs should be fed nori at least every other day. If you have some that only eat nori, then daily. Very strange that a purple tang won’t eat frozen. I’ve had a few over time and they were all pigs with fins.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A surprisingly small amount of what you feed your fish goes to building body mass. Most of it ends up as nutrients in the water. If you do not have adequate nutrient export mechanisms in place to adequately feed your fish then you have too many. Tangs should be fed nori at least every other day. If you have some that only eat nori, then daily. Very strange that a purple tang won’t eat frozen. I’ve had a few over time and they were all pigs with fins.

I wish he eats frozen. I think he dosent know... He came form LA and he would not eat nori at first. Only stayed in the corner of the tank and I put it on a clip. He would not eat it. Then I put it on a rock with a band and he ate it..

Now for frozen he won't even attempt. I really don't understand. I think he might be a little slow that's all.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the purple tang? I bet it will catch on to eating prepared for eventually. I currently have a lawnmower blenny that only ate algae in the tank for about 6 months, and now it eats anything out of the water column.

I agree that it the tang only eats nori, and it looks underfed, then feed it more nori. You can worry about nutrients later. Feed the starving fish more.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the purple tang? I bet it will catch on to eating prepared for eventually. I currently have a lawnmower blenny that only ate algae in the tank for about 6 months, and now it eats anything out of the water column.

I agree that it the tang only eats nori, and it looks underfed, then feed it more nori. You can worry about nutrients later. Feed the starving fish more.

To true. I have had him for 2 months .

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back