Push Me Over the Edge

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all that read this!

I have been dreaming about starting up my first reef tank for the past year or so and in the process I have learned quite a bit. On the knowledge side of things, I feel like I'm ready to get my hands wet and to start learning through first-hand experience. I find the alien world of marine life to be so cool and I kinda need a bit of it in my own home. I would love to get started but the only thing holding me back at this point is the financial investment involved. This is where I am asking for help.

Tell me to suck it up and jump in! Or, if you want to be boring about it and think I should be financially responsible, tell me to save my money for later. If this post gets enough response I will put my tank on order this weekend. Were any of you on edge before you got started or did you just dive on in?

Thank you,
Ruegaroo

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Setting up a reef does not have to be a big financial burden. There are lots of reef budget friendly threads on here to help you along :) Try searching the marketplace, you can find used gear still in good condition at great prices:) and of course were all always here for advice and guidance ;)
Thanks for saying hello, now GO GET YOUR FEET WET! :D
tenor (3).gif

#WelcometoR2R

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is the issue then, start watching selling threads! I would make a list of everything you want and are looking to do. Then start watching craigslist, eBay, Facebook buy/sell/trade, various other selling forums and you are bound to cut your investment by nearly in half! It may take a little longer and require patience, but it will make the initial cost much better :)

Anyways since you said to say it... Just get started already and start spending some money!!!

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes mate, you have to take the plunge. I know that the hobby is not the cheapest, I remember a small 5 gallon tank I started cost me $289 usd. I do reefing on a budget, as I do not like to part with my money, but I also know that the hobby commands some large financial investments. The nice thing is that if you take the slow approach with the hobby and cure rock and methodically plan the system some of the expenses can be spread out a little instead of thousands spent up front.

My first real system was a takeover purchase and I still utilize some of the parts that came with that system on my build today 8 years later.

Good luck to ya!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Jump in just do it within your constraints - it is doable to have a tank and be frugal.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
361EEDEB-3C6F-49C1-B7FB-B5FE8F465222.png

You will be glad you found and join d R2R!
As for your tank and when to get into the hobby, yes finances can have a big impact on what and how you set up a saltwater aquarium. There are always deals, seek them out, plus many kinds of equipment are not necessary, especially during the beginning phase of a tanks maturity. Corals range in prices from inexpensive to taking out a second mortgage on your house to purchase it.
You have to feel good about the tank you buy and what you plan on doing with it. It is best not to just dive into the hobby without a game plan as you don’t want to start off on the wrong foot. When your ready and confident in your decision, you will know and be better apt to make the best decisions on how to go about setting up a tank that gives you the best chance of success.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be glad you found and join d R2R!
As for your tank and when to get into the hobby, yes finances can have a big impact on what and how you set up a saltwater aquarium. There are always deals, seek them out, plus many kinds of equipment are not necessary, especially during the beginning phase of a tanks maturity. Corals range in prices from inexpensive to taking out a second mortgage on your house to purchase it.
You have to feel good about the tank you buy and what you plan on doing with it. It is best not to just dive into the hobby without a game plan as you don’t want to start off on the wrong foot. When your ready and confident in your decision, you will know and be better apt to make the best decisions on how to go about setting up a tank that gives you the best chance of success.

I've been lurking around R2R for a little while, absorbing knowledge from random threads. I am definitely glad I found it as it has helped me learn a lot. Everyone seems to be genuinely helpful and excited to help out newcomers. It is much appreciated!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Glad you joined us . . . . .
AND MAY I OFFER YOU SOME ENCOURAGEMENT (just a leap over the edge):

1564688270097.png

Last edited:

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all that read this!

I have been dreaming about starting up my first reef tank for the past year or so and in the process I have learned quite a bit. On the knowledge side of things, I feel like I'm ready to get my hands wet and to start learning through first-hand experience. I find the alien world of marine life to be so cool and I kinda need a bit of it in my own home. I would love to get started but the only thing holding me back at this point is the financial investment involved. This is where I am asking for help.

Tell me to suck it up and jump in! Or, if you want to be boring about it and think I should be financially responsible, tell me to save my money for later. If this post gets enough response I will put my tank on order this weekend. Were any of you on edge before you got started or did you just dive on in?

Thank you,
Ruegaroo
Currently diving, but piecing the tank together slowly

Back