PVC pipe go deeper into socket after applying primer & solvent?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of cutting the PVC pipes at the moment and I have a question to ask.
Will the part of pipe that goes inside the sockets be longer when cementing them together with primer and cement compared to when they are dry fit??
When I dry fit them to unions or other connectors, they often don't go all the way inside (sometimes they do).
From what I've read, the primer and the solvent softens the pvc so I thought maybe the pipe will go deeper into the sockets when they are applied.
If they do indeed go deeper into the socket, I want to be aware of it and take this difference in the length into consideration when I cut the pipe.
I have never used primer for cementing pvc pipes before but plan on using it this time because all the Youtube videos are saying it's a must.
Cheers.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally yes. It's hard to seat the pipe all the way dry. Once softened with the cement, the pipe will fully seat. It's usually only a few mm difference though.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of cutting the PVC pipes at the moment and I have a question to ask.
Will the part of pipe that goes inside the sockets be longer when cementing them together with primer and cement compared to when they are dry fit??
When I dry fit them to unions or other connectors, they often don't go all the way inside (sometimes they do).
From what I've read, the primer and the solvent softens the pvc so I thought maybe the pipe will go deeper into the sockets when they are applied.
If they do indeed go deeper into the socket, I want to be aware of it and take this difference in the length into consideration when I cut the pipe.
I have never used primer for cementing pvc pipes before but plan on using it this time because all the Youtube videos are saying it's a must.
Cheers.
Yes the pipe will seat into the fitting further than you can account for while dry fitting. The assumption is traditionally the diamater of the pipe is the seated depth.

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the primer and cement is applied, the pipe will easily seat all the way in…1 2/16” to be exact with schedule 80 fittings. Regular schedule 40 fittings are approximately the same…maybe minus 1/16” from my experience. If your pipe seated between your two connections is 8" then you add 2 1/4" to your final cut...10 1/4" total. Hope that helps.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also note that, the pipe don't have to go all the way in to make a seal, even if it can. So what I generally do is dry fit to do all the measurements and cuttings, then mark the position on the pipe. After applying primer and glue, the pipe is insert back to the same position, not necessarily all the way in.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back