Pvc scape?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a long time but I finally settled on a method I liked and just put it in place this weekend. Now to let the coral grow out and follow it in for ever. Looking for 2 nice floating coral islands. Probably have to take trip to the bottle corals website now.
4087a93c4b815da8662162686bd317c5.jpg
162da2741025f88bb826ea9fbb4f1842.jpg
f992adb99949d3bd8d785122edf5ddc9.jpg

I absolutely love this.

Did you add any connections that allow fish to hide within the PVC? I’m thinking about trying to create something like this because I’ll be setting up a bare-bottom, SPS-only system, with non-sand-dwelling wrasses. The PVC would allow them to have many spaces to call home. Also, this would make it easier to break down and move, if needed.

This is fantastic.!

OP
OP
ncaldwell

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about how to incorporate large diameter pvc for the fish to hide in but after playing around with it for a while I couldn't make it work in a way that I liked. I also glued all of mine together and then painted it and epoxied it. So far I'm a big fan or how light it is so I can move them easily to vacuum under them. If I had the option though I would have just bought one that was more realistic online. The epoxy and painting was a pain

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the option though I would have just bought one that was more realistic online. The epoxy and painting was a pain

Do you think that you will feel any differently after everything has grown in? It may not look realistic now, but the structure looks like it provides a great amount of room for corals to grow and hide the PVC. The ability to have higher flow is a huge bonus.

OP
OP
ncaldwell

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2. Glued most of it together then filled with sand, painted with normal krylon then coated with generic epoxy from a boat repair place to keep the paint from deteriorating in the water

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a Center Showpiece for my SCA 150. It has tiny holes in the branches and platforms for all of my SPS frags on each branch. The last attachment is just has my center showpiece.

Aquarock#1.jpg

Custom rimless SCA 150 w: showpcs.jpg

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PVC scape looks really nice. Even just the raw PVC. Once it's all encrusted I know you will love it.

OP
OP
ncaldwell

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like those style rockwork alot too but this was my 3rd scape because I just haven't been happy with what was sent to me. Everything is online now and I dont like not being able to browse a giant bin to pick pieces I like. A 4 ft piece of one of those pre mades would have been pricey along with shipping to alaska

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Necroing this thread, as I'm planning on a 100% pvc scape for my next build.

Going a different route, however. I will build different shape and size PVC branches (think Tonga branch), and zip tie these pieces together.

May drill a hole in the back wall, and mount the scape to a bulkhead, creating a floating scape.

Anyone here have updates, or anyone else have pics of their PVC scape?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back