Pygmy angel experiences

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is SPS with zoanthids. I also don't want something that will beat up newly added wrasses. What should I expect.

Scottdl99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen coral beauty's in multiple tanks nip at just about any coral. I would def. stay away from them. I personally have only had one in my tank before and it was the [FONT=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Lamarck angel. It nipped at a few of my chalices for a week then stopped. It didn't touch anything for the next couple months till it rode the carpet wave :([/FONT]

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Scott, Lamarks are considered large angels. They are plankton eaters and are generally reef safe. Any other experiences or helpful links anybody?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only pygmy angel I've ever had that turned out to be reef safe has been the Cherub (Atlantic) Pygmy angel. Problem is, it's tempermental toward every fish in the tank at times.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty that nips at nothing in my tank. I have zoas, sticks, montis, a couple chalices, a favia, and a sympodium. He occasionally fights my Clowns but pretty much is a model citizen. I do feed twice a day.

Reef@holic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a list of pymys I have had:
Coral beauty- Never nipped at anything
Flame angel 1- never nipped anything
Flame angel 2- nipped at everything
Cherub- fine for a while, then ate everything
Multi color- have had for a few months now and doesn't nip at anything, but is the meanest Pygmy I have had!
Chases my mystery wrasse and absolutely hates my blenny... I think it all depends on the fish but factors like feeding and what corals they are housed with plays a key factor with them as well

chefmur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame back it has never touched any sps or Los in my tank, also had a flame at one time with success but had a friend that had one also and ripped up his corals

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really just luck of the draw. I had a pair of argis. One was perfect... the other ripped, and I mean RIPPED apart gorgonians and acros. My best suggestion is to just get whatever you like best, and a trap. This way, you will have your favorite choice, and maybe give up some corals that it eats, but if things get out of control, you can catch and remove the fish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back