Pyramid Butterfly - Fungus

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few weeks back I posted a thread about my butterfly & how to treat his issue. I followed the advice on the thread & he survived, thanks guys. (some kind of fungus)

Now I have a different problem. I put him back in the tank and the symptoms came right back. So there is something in my tank making him sick. I can't treat the tank due to my corals, and none of my other fish show any signs of issues.

What can I do? I took him out today & started him on meds again in a QT.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fungus isn't something that usually effects saltwater fish. Lympho, however is common in butterflies and often called "fungus" by people who are used to freshwater tanks and illnesses.

Can you post a current picture or maybe a link to the previous thread? What meds are you using?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so the combo of those three antibiotics worked and it came back after reintroduction to the display? It looks the same? Is it in the same places? Can we get an updated photo?

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very similar and is on his head, maybe not the exact same places. I took him out earlier today than last time. They just started to develop today and I wasn't going to waste any time.

He seems to be worse off this time as he isn't swimming much, but he did eat today.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the spots are the same as last time - whitehead lookin' things on his head - then I don't think it's lymphocystis. A bacterial origin is certainly possible - how long did you run the "trifecta" of antibiotics the last go-round?

The discoloration of his pyramids _could_ be a symptom - or could be as simple as the fish displaying his discomfort and reaction to stress.

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it's not lympho. It seems like the antibiotics helped, but didn't kick the infection all the way so it was able to return.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back