Qt cycle

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my 10gal qt it's bare bottom has a HOB filter heater and light with two pieces of pvc tubing for the fish to hide in. I'm trying to cycle the tank with dr Tims nitrifying bacteria and ammonia I followed the instructions and ammonia is at 2 ppm. There has been no changes in ammonia for 96 hrs am I being impatient is this normal or is there a problem here's the tank details
SG 1.024 PH7.8-8 nitrite 0 nitrate 20-30 ppm (I'm using tape water) and this reading reflects what nitrate was in my water when I began.
I used Aqueon tap water conditioner waters cleared up but tank glass is cloudy it's covered with the dr Tims nitrifying product. Any suggestions?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my 10gal qt it's bare bottom has a HOB filter heater and light with two pieces of pvc tubing for the fish to hide in. I'm trying to cycle the tank with dr Tims nitrifying bacteria and ammonia I followed the instructions and ammonia is at 2 ppm. There has been no changes in ammonia for 96 hrs am I being impatient is this normal or is there a problem here's the tank details
SG 1.024 PH7.8-8 nitrite 0 nitrate 20-30 ppm (I'm using tape water) and this reading reflects what nitrate was in my water when I began.
I used Aqueon tap water conditioner waters cleared up but tank glass is cloudy it's covered with the dr Tims nitrifying product. Any suggestions?
I would say your Dr Tims bacteria was DOA. Did you order it and live in a cold area where it may have frozen? Odds are that you have some surviving nitrifying bacteria in your system but you could be in for a longer than normal cycle.

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your Dr Tims bacteria was DOA. Did you order it and live in a cold area where it may have frozen? Odds are that you have some surviving nitrifying bacteria in your system but you could be in for a longer than normal cycle.
Yes it came cold I ordered it 2nd day air and they put heat packs in it but when it showed up I took a temp reading on it and it was 40 deg but that was about 5 pm so it probably warmed up some as the day went on. That was what I was worried about to I sent an email to dr Tims and haven't heard back

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it came cold I ordered it 2nd day air and they put heat packs in it but when it showed up I took a temp reading on it and it was 40 deg but that was about 5 pm so it probably warmed up some as the day went on. That was what I was worried about to I sent an email to dr Tims and haven't heard back
If it actually froze, you could expect between 1%-15% of the bacteria population to survive I think. Since nitrifying bacteria are slow reproducers it will take awhile for the population to recover now that it is in your tank. It should still work, just not as quickly. I expect you should start seeing a change in ammonia in another day or two.

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it actually froze, you could expect between 1%-15% of the bacteria population to survive I think. Since nitrifying bacteria are slow reproducers it will take awhile for the population to recover now that it is in your tank. It should still work, just not as quickly. I expect you should start seeing a change in ammonia in another day or two.
Ok I'll give a few more days and keep my fingered crossed thanks for reply it's very appreciated

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just but bio-spira bacteria from Petco or Amazon.

Back